I support all or most of it. 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
I support some parts and oppose other parts. 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
I oppose all or most of it. 33%  33%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 12

Kenani
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2011, 12:23 am

So Obama gave a speech about his jobs plan, the American Jobs Act, to both houses of Congress. If you haven't watched it, go watch it or read a transcript, come back to this thread, vote in the poll, and post your opinion. Let the debate begin!

Kenani

09 Sep 2011, 12:27 am

As it turns out, I would like to request that this thread be moved to Politics, Philosophy, and Religion.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 1:53 am

It's just the second stimulus plan that Obama and Pelosi have been working to repackage.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2011, 11:18 pm

Until I know what's in it, and how they will pay for it, I'm opposing all of it.

Also all those jobs in construction and stuff, aren't going to happen because we're coming up on winter, and roads, bridges, buildings tend to be built in summer months for safety reasons among other things.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 5:28 am

A temporary construction job is still a job. And our infrastructure is coming apart at the seams, so this job plan is definitely timely. And even if the winter weather will cut into construction, there's still next Spring.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 8:26 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Until I know what's in it, and how they will pay for it, I'm opposing all of it.

Also all those jobs in construction and stuff, aren't going to happen because we're coming up on winter, and roads, bridges, buildings tend to be built in summer months for safety reasons among other things.

Your first point is the salient point. I was not impressed when the Boy Prince said cross my heart and hope to die. It will all be paid for. Then he failed to say how.

ruveyn

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
A temporary construction job is still a job. And our infrastructure is coming apart at the seams, so this job plan is definitely timely. And even if the winter weather will cut into construction, there's still next Spring.

Uh you can't even start on construction with winter coming up, because you probably will have to tear stuff up and start over.

Spring is a horrible time to do construction due to the fact with spring comes a lot of raining, snowmelt, etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:22 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Uh you can't even start on construction with winter coming up, because you probably will have to tear stuff up and start over.

Spring is a horrible time to do construction due to the fact with spring comes a lot of raining, snowmelt, etc.

Then Summer!
But seriously, I'm sure there are still plenty of jobs that can be done, even in winter.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Then Summer!
But seriously, I'm sure there are still plenty of jobs that can be done, even in winter.

Hire the unemployed to shovel snow.

In the D.C. area, hire the unemployed to shovel sh*t.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:37 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Then Summer!

Hire the unemployed to shovel snow.

In the D.C. area, hire the unemployed to shovel sh*t.

ruveyn

Hey, every little job helps.

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 4:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Then Summer!

I thought these jobs were supposed to start tomorrow? Not maybe sometime next year.

Kraichgauer, you're incredibly naive and gullible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2011, 9:40 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Then Summer!

I thought these jobs were supposed to start tomorrow? Not maybe sometime next year.

Kraichgauer, you're incredibly naive and gullible.

I could say the same for you, since you buy into everything Fox, Beck, and Limbaugh spout from their rectums.

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 1:05 am

Inuyasha wrote:

It consists primarily of tax cuts. I thought conservatives loved tax cuts?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 1:11 am

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Oh, they do - for the rich.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 4:41 am

Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Tax cuts do not pay for anything. All things are payed for out of tax revenues, fees and imposts.

ruveyn

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2011, 3:18 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Orwell wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:

Tax cuts do not pay for anything. All things are payed for out of tax revenues, fees and imposts.

ruveyn

That was my answer to "what's in it?" As for how it is paid for, Obama specified that in his speech as well. There would be spending cuts, scaling-back of regulations, and an increase in how much the "super-committee" is obligated to cut in their plan. But conservatives have never cared how tax cuts would be paid for.