good news, gamers cracked the AIDS ensyme

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

19 Sep 2011, 2:54 pm

Here is some good press for gamers, gamers may play a role in curing aids

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/09/18/o ... me-puzzle/

Jojo

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 5:00 pm

Where's that study that claimed that video games don't increase cognitive capacity?

[nerd pose]

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 5:38 pm

This topic is also in the Computers, Science and Technology section. It's very interesting.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 5:44 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Where's that study that claimed that video games don't increase cognitive capacity?

I'd hardly attribute this success to the fact that they're gamers. Give the same problem to a group of children, and you'd probably get the same result, eventually. It was a spatial-reasoning problem, not necessarily a design or intellectual one. Like stated in the article, humans are good at spatial reasoning, computers aren't.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:05 pm

Zokk wrote:
visagrunt wrote:

I'd hardly attribute this success to the fact that they're gamers. Give the same problem to a group of children, and you'd probably get the same result, eventually. It was a spatial-reasoning problem, not necessarily a design or intellectual one. Like stated in the article, humans are good at spatial reasoning, computers aren't.

However, depending on kind of game it is, there are studies that show that video games do actually enhance certain mental abilities when you're kid and your brain is still developing. For example, action games tend to enhance reflexes with eye hand coordination while puzzle games can enhance other cognitive abilities such as spacial abilities if the game requires you to solve a spacial type of puzzle. So, it seems natural to me that gamers, especially the ones who have been gaming since they were kids, may be able to intuitively solve something like this while some other people can't.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2011, 11:43 am

Zokk wrote:

Now you're just buzzkilling my nerd pose.

Never let fact get in the way of bias!

jojobean
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In Georgia sipping a virgin pina' colada while the rest of the world is drunk

20 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

I found out that it took ten days for gamers to decontruct it...that is still very amazing.
just imagine how this could be chaneled to solve other global health problems?

Gamers get a bad rap, folks think they are wasting thier lives with it, but soon gaming could be saving lives...I love that!
Alot of people actually game for the mental stimulation that the surrounding enviroment does not provide

HybridAP
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Sep 2011, 8:03 pm

Jono wrote:
However, depending on kind of game it is, there are studies that show that video games do actually enhance certain mental abilities when you're kid and your brain is still developing. For example, action games tend to enhance reflexes with eye hand coordination while puzzle games can enhance other cognitive abilities such as spacial abilities if the game requires you to solve a spacial type of puzzle. So, it seems natural to me that gamers, especially the ones who have been gaming since they were kids, may be able to intuitively solve something like this while some other people can't.

Then I shall make my kids grow up playing Uncharted and Portal 2! :D