Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

.... is her voice.

Seriously, I think I would have this problem regardless of what my politics were. I can't hear her sickly-sweet, high-pitched, maple-syrup-slow voice without getting flashbacks to very dim-witted, very VERY condescending special ed teachers.

Like the one who came up behind me by the lockers in junior high, somehow under the impression that shutting my locker hard enough to latch it properly was some form of boisterous attention-getting delinquency... and expressed this by saying (high-pitched sweet syrup voice) "How do we shut our lockers, Erika? (/high-pitched sweet syrup voice). And then, when I failed to answer quickly enough, prompting me with the first syllable of the word "quietly."

I was in my teens, and significantly smarter than most of them, and very sensitive to the insult of being treated like a toddler. And this all runs through my head whenever I hear a certain type of voice. Anyone else have this issue?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

bachman isn't smart enough to be a special ed teacher. you give her too much credit.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

20 Nov 2011, 11:17 pm

cathylynn wrote:
bachman isn't smart enough to be a special ed teacher. you give her too much credit.

:lol:

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2011, 11:24 pm

I wouldn't worry about Michmann Elebach. Like Sara Palin, she was just in it so that she could become a celebrity and eventual Fox new commentator. Fox news is easy money if you're a semi-educated windbag

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2011, 12:43 am

cathylynn wrote:

Heh, agreed. Though (maybe because of my childhood problems with that sort of voice) I can't help getting the nagging feeling that she sees all of America the same way that special ed teacher saw all of the special ed students in the school: as a bunch of slow toddlers who can barely understand even the simplest sentence.

When, really, that's closer to applying to her.

earthtoerika
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2011, 12:44 am

Vigilans wrote:
I wouldn't worry about Michmann Elebach. Like Sara Palin, she was just in it so that she could become a celebrity and eventual Fox new commentator. Fox news is easy money if you're a semi-educated windbag

Sad but true.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 1:56 am

earthtoerika wrote:
.... is her voice. Seriously, I think I would have this problem regardless of what my politics were. I can't hear her sickly-sweet, high-pitched, maple-syrup-slow voice without getting flashbacks to very dim-witted, very VERY condescending special ed teachers. Anyone else have this issue?

it is not just her, but also sarah palin and herman cain and all the rest of those right-wingers of the silver spoon variety who condescend upon the great unwashed working classes.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 9:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:
.... is her voice. Seriously, I think I would have this problem regardless of what my politics were. I can't hear her sickly-sweet, high-pitched, maple-syrup-slow voice without getting flashbacks to very dim-witted, very VERY condescending special ed teachers. Anyone else have this issue?

it is not just her, but also sarah palin and herman cain and all the rest of those right-wingers of the silver spoon variety who condescend upon the great unwashed working classes.

Herman Cain. Silver spoon? Here is an excerpt of his early life from the Wiki article:

Herman Cain was born in Memphis, Tennessee, to Lenora Cain (née Davis), a cleaning woman and domestic worker, and Luther Cain, Jr., who was raised on a farm and worked as a barber and janitor, as well as a chauffeur for Coca-Cola president Robert Woodruff. Cain has said that as he was growing up, his family was "poor" but "happy". Cain related that his mother taught him about her belief that "success was not a function of what you start out with materially, but what you start out with spiritually". His father worked three jobs to own his own home — something he achieved during Cain's childhood — and to see his two sons graduate

He was the son of hard working good folks and made his own way in the world. You can very well disagree with with politics and even economics but to not ever imply he was handed anything.

ruveyn

Gedrene
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 11:15 am

ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

Herman Cain. Silver spoon? Here is an excerpt of his early life from the Wiki article:

Herman Cain was born in Memphis, Tennessee, to Lenora Cain (née Davis), a cleaning woman and domestic worker, and Luther Cain, Jr., who was raised on a farm and worked as a barber and janitor, as well as a chauffeur for Coca-Cola president Robert Woodruff. Cain has said that as he was growing up, his family was "poor" but "happy". Cain related that his mother taught him about her belief that "success was not a function of what you start out with materially, but what you start out with spiritually". His father worked three jobs to own his own home — something he achieved during Cain's childhood — and to see his two sons graduate

He was the son of hard working good folks and made his own way in the world. You can very well disagree with with politics and even economics but to not ever imply he was handed anything.

ruveyn
Woe that the americans be divided by politics! If they were simply just their strengths would overcome their weaknesses quickly.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 6:38 pm

ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

See if any workingman today can work three jobs to own a home. Especially since the stack is decked against low income home owners today.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 11:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

See if any workingman today can work three jobs to own a home. Especially since the stack is decked against low income home owners today.

Well of course they can't you can thank your beloved Democrats for that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

And the Democrats are responsible for the AIDS virus, and earthquakes.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 11:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

Also Hitler and that fourth Indiana Jones movie

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 11:55 pm

Vigilans wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

Also Hitler and that fourth Indiana Jones movie

How could I have forgotten? (slaps forehead)

Inuyasha
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 12:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

:roll: :roll:

I'm not going to blame Democrats for something they aren't responsible for... They are responsible for the welfare system that is designed to keep poor people in poverty.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2011, 12:57 am

Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
earthtoerika wrote:

ruveyn

:roll: :roll:

I'm not going to blame Democrats for something they aren't responsible for... They are responsible for the welfare system that is designed to keep poor people in poverty.

So the welfare system exists only to keep people poor, not to keep them fed and housed. Like poor people were doing so well prior to welfare.