Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 8:54 am

www.reuters.com

I don't know whether to be sad or disgusted...

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

Well, I'm of two minds.

An unexplained episode for a person in their 40's is a matter of concern, to be sure. The cheap food policies that have governed the US for the last 40 years have created an enormous epidemic of diet related medical problems: not merely cardiovascular disease, but also diabetes, a variety of cancers, and dozens of others. When you add alcohol and tobacco into the mix, we can't be surprised by the result.

But on the flip side, is the quality of life aspect. I'm here for a good time, not a long time. I want to enjoy my retirement, to be sure, but I am not going to strip away all of the joy of life (and let's be clear--bacon is a joy of life) for the sake of an extra year. I solemnly swear I will not lie on my deathbed and rue the bacon cheeseburgers eaten in my middle age.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 6:33 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Well, I'm of two minds.

An unexplained episode for a person in their 40's is a matter of concern, to be sure. The cheap food policies that have governed the US for the last 40 years have created an enormous epidemic of diet related medical problems: not merely cardiovascular disease, but also diabetes, a variety of cancers, and dozens of others. When you add alcohol and tobacco into the mix, we can't be surprised by the result.

But on the flip side, is the quality of life aspect. I'm here for a good time, not a long time. I want to enjoy my retirement, to be sure, but I am not going to strip away all of the joy of life (and let's be clear--bacon is a joy of life) for the sake of an extra year. I solemnly swear I will not lie on my deathbed and rue the bacon cheeseburgers eaten in my middle age.

You blame the vendors? Did anyone force the customers to each too much crap? It is the buyer who is responsible for his own fate.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 12:19 am

ruveyn wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Well, I'm of two minds.

You blame the vendors? Did anyone force the customers to each too much crap? It is the buyer who is responsible for his own fate.

ruveyn

And I for one am taking my life in both hands as I devour the most unhealthy - but tastiest - foods I can get hold of! And as I don't smoke, and no longer drink much, I think it's a trade off for being able to eat all that yummy bacon, ribs, and red meat, and still get to stay alive for a while longer!

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 12:17 pm

ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

That's far too disingenuous, ruveyn.

Suppose that 300,000,000 Americans chose to eschew processed food, HFCS, meat and dairy from cattle fed on corn in feedlots, battery poultry and eggs, and anything else into which, "King Corn," had extended its not inconsiderable tentacles. How would that be done? Who could afford to eat? How could the United States feed itself? Buyers have a choice, yes--but only in the individual case. American consumers have no choice, because there is only one food supply, and over 90% of it is held in a very small number of hands.

And all of this is the result of a calculated political decision in the early 1970s. It is no accident that Nixon is the last US President to face the threat of food shortages, and while US agriculture policy has been successful at keeping Americans fed, it has also succeeded in keeping them badly fed. And US trade hegemony has ensured that the epidemic is being exported.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 3:27 pm

visagrunt wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

That's far too disingenuous, ruveyn.

Suppose that 300,000,000 Americans chose to eschew processed food, HFCS, meat and dairy from cattle fed on corn in feedlots, battery poultry and eggs, and anything else into which, "King Corn," had extended its not inconsiderable tentacles. How would that be done? Who could afford to eat? How could the United States feed itself? Buyers have a choice, yes--but only in the individual case. American consumers have no choice, because there is only one food supply, and over 90% of it is held in a very small number of hands.

And all of this is the result of a calculated political decision in the early 1970s. It is no accident that Nixon is the last US President to face the threat of food shortages, and while US agriculture policy has been successful at keeping Americans fed, it has also succeeded in keeping them badly fed. And US trade hegemony has ensured that the epidemic is being exported.

America - keeping the rest of the world fat and bloated! :lol:

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 3:43 pm

Health problems involving an American style diet are emerging in China.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6284830.stm

http://www.naturalnews.com/029354_China_epidemic.html

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:17 pm

snapcap wrote:

The Western Devil's revenge!

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:50 pm

I'm a strong advocate of universal health care. But if somebody walks into a place called Heart Attack Grill and orders a "double bypass burger", I don't think they deserve a double bypass. I mean, if people want to commit suicide-by-burger, let them. Don't keep someone alive who has an obvious death wish.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 4:54 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
I'm a strong advocate of universal health care. But if somebody walks into a place called Heart Attack Grill and orders a "double bypass burger", I don't think they deserve a double bypass. I mean, if people want to commit suicide-by-burger, let them. Don't keep someone alive who has an obvious death wish.

I doubt they have a death wish. Rather, they disregard the health risks. And I admit, I myself tend to resemble that remark.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 5:05 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

I doubt they have a death wish. Rather, they disregard the health risks. And I admit, I myself tend to resemble that remark.

That might be the case if we were talking about disingenuous drug pushers like McD. or B.King. I can understand that people fall for their advertising campaigns that suggest healthy, nutritious food, and then can't stop eating junk once they're hooked on the highly addictive combination of fat, sugar / starch and MSG. But a fast food den called Heart Attack Grill? I'm totally appalled at the name, but I find it even more appalling that anyone would eat there. And a "double bypass burger" no less. In this case, the health risks couldn't be more obvious imho. Anyone who eats something like that gives fate the finger.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 5:09 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
CrazyCatLord wrote:

That might be the case if we were talking about disingenuous drug pushers like McD. or B.King. I can understand that people fall for their advertising campaigns that suggest healthy, nutritious food, and then can't stop eating junk once they're hooked on the highly addictive combination of fat, sugar / starch and MSG. But a fast food den called Heart Attack Grill? I'm totally appalled at the name, but I find it even more appalling that anyone would eat there. And a "double bypass burger" no less. In this case, the health risks couldn't be more obvious imho. Anyone who eats something like that gives fate the finger.

I'll admit I would definitely try the Double Bypass, but I'd hardly make it a habit of eating it frequently.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2012, 6:53 pm

Well, it is called the "HEART ATTACK grill", it has signs that say "cash only because you might die before the check clears", and "CAUTION this resturaunt is bad for your health", and have burgers called the single-quadruple bypass, it's pretty well established that the place is horrible for your overall health and taxing on your body to digest. If people still want to go there, that's their business.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:20 pm

It's telling as to the nature of Western food addiction that
people have no qualms saying they're willing to die rather than forsake X grossly unhealthy foodstuff.

8O

to his Interest."

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:21 pm

John_Browning wrote:
Well, it is called the "HEART ATTACK grill", it has signs that say "cash only because you might die before the check clears", and "CAUTION this resturaunt is bad for your health", and have burgers called the single-quadruple bypass, it's pretty well established that the place is horrible for your overall health and taxing on your body to digest. If people still want to go there, that's their business.

Money says someone tries to sue. :lol:

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2012, 1:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
snapcap wrote:

The Western Devil's revenge!

I'm picturing a cow with tentacles spreading over their land. Tasty tentacles...

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"