Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 11:54 am

Israel accuses Syria of genocide, urges intervention

Quote:
Vice Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz urged world powers to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the same way that last year's Western-backed campaign in Libya overthrew former strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

In separate comments, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the Syrian government was slaughtering civilians with the support of Israel's arch-foes Iran and Hezbollah. "The world should understand what kind of environment we live in," he said in remarks to his cabinet that were later broadcast.

So there you have it. Syria's alley in Iran is it's snuffer.

Israel needs to lay off the "genocide" for awhile.

Next it's going to be the same for Lebanon and Jordan, and Iran, blah blah blah.

Assuming Russia doesn't bet involved, it's going to happen.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Nexus
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 12:22 pm

I doubt the Russians are just going to let their strategic resources be lost in Syria to the Americans, as I assume that's their key motivator to their position of keeping Assad in. So believe me, Russia will get involved if intervention is attempted and that's where the real danger lies. A potential escalation into a world war. It's starting to feel like the cold war is back on again.

Last edited by Nexus on 10 Jun 2012, 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 12:27 pm

To be honest, I'm not sure what the rest of the world is supposed to do in Syria. It's all picking sides in an internal conflict. As with many previous conflicts in the Middle East and North Africa, there are two sides, and neither has a significant advantage. If you pick one side, it's favoritism, and the new government won't be backed by half of the country. If you pick sides for rebels in a region divided along ethnic, tribal or religious lines, you'll end up creating a failed state. I'm not sure what Syria's situation is, but if there are significant ethnic, cultural or religious groups that don't like each other and are fighting under a pragmatic banner, the new government will consist of infighting.

Comparing it to Libya is even more frightening. What they tend to forget is that Libya didn't end up a better country at all. Muammar Gaddafi's brutal reign was the only thing that could hold the country together. Nowadays, Libya is more similar to early post-Barre Somalia than it is to Tunisia. There's a new bout of tribal warfare, and militias don't respect the national government in any way. The interim government has postponed the elections because they were an absolute nightmare, with militias unilaterally closing registration offices and politicians being assaulted. Meanwhile, as the west conveniently tends to forget, there's the occasional massacre in which black Africans are randomly murdered. The only way for the National Transitional Council to get their hands on Saif al-Islam Gaddafi is to bribe militias, and even that isn't handled properly.

That's something I said throughout that conflict, but I was always told by people who supported intervention that it was a case of heroic people fighting a brutal tyrant for freedom™. My expectations for Syria is that it will end up between Libya and Egypt. Religious and ethnic minorities will have a hard time, but they won't be murdered on a large scale. Actual power will remain in the hands of the military, and there won't be stability for years.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 12:51 pm

Having been shot at by muslims myself, I'll start off by saying that I have yet to find a reason to befriend one. It should be pointed out that the biggest enemy of Islam is it's own people. Muslims die at the hands of muslims far more than at the hand of any other group - even the UN statistics will verify that! So this notion of propoganda is, to put it mildly, ignorantly stated. I say let them kill each other. I've read both the Koran and the Hadith. Islam is a very intolerant religion - period! And far bloodier than Christianity. Indeed, the Crusades we defensive. My ancestors would not have been able to kick the invading muslim Moors out of Spain without them.

If you want save the world from terrorism, read both the Koran and the Hadith first. You'll learn how a muslim terrorist actually thinks - and then you'll come to realize that that the only good terrorist is a dead one. Let them kill each other. It will save me and my fellow servicepeople a lot of trouble and a lot of work.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 1:10 pm

Longshanks wrote:

If you want save the world from terrorism, read both the Koran and the Hadith first. You'll learn how a muslim terrorist actually thinks - and then you'll come to realize that that the only good terrorist is a dead one. Let them kill each other. It will save me and my fellow servicepeople a lot of trouble and a lot of work.

Longshanks

I agree with this aspect of your post - it's essential to understand (Radical) Islam from their own perspective.
Having "psycho-analyzed" Hamas this past year for a class on Radical Islam I can assure you that the western world really doesn't understand the issues going on in the Middle East as deeply as it thinks it does.

I don't agree that the Crusades were wholly defensive. They started out like that, especially with the threats on Istanbul (Constantinople) and at Poitier's, but the motives changed rather quickly, and Europe took it way too far.

As far as Iran and Syria goes, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but Netanyahu is right about their collaboration. After all, Hezbollah was originally an Iranian terrorist group, and while Iran is often at odds with the rest of the Middle East, it doesn't find it to hard to join up when it needs to, even giving 33 million dollars to Hamas this April.
Link: YNet News - Hamas and Iran Collaborate
If you have followed Hamas/Iranian relations, they're usually at odds.

I also can't ignore this: Iran sending troops to Syria - link:Iran Deploys 15,000 Troops to Syria

HisDivineMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 5:48 pm

Poitiers was much earlier than the Crusades, but it was indeed a defensive battle. During that battle, Charles Martel's army defeated the Umayyads and set a precedent for them to be driven out of Europe in the next few centuries. And I'm glad they have - I don't like islamic architecture, I like European medieval history, and my family history would have been vastly different if he had been the one killed instead of the local Umayyad leader.

The Middle East is a mess. Cynically speaking, it's always been that way, and the only reason we care now is because there's a western-style state now, and oil has been found.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2012, 9:12 pm

HisDivineMajesty wrote:
Poitiers was much earlier than the Crusades, but it was indeed a defensive battle. During that battle, Charles Martel's army defeated the Umayyads and set a precedent for them to be driven out of Europe in the next few centuries. And I'm glad they have - I don't like islamic architecture, I like European medieval history, and my family history would have been vastly different if he had been the one killed instead of the local Umayyad leader.

The Middle East is a mess. Cynically speaking, it's always been that way, and the only reason we care now is because there's a western-style state now, and oil has been found.

I concur. I am a direct descendant of Charles Martel, and thus Charlemagne - as is Webcam. I believe if you read the gospel of Matthew, you find Jesus saying that the Middle East will always be in tumult until His second coming. For me, as a believer, that can't come too soon.

Longshanks

Supporter of the Brian Terry Foundation @ www.honorbrianterry.com. Special Agent Brian Terry (1970-2010) was murdered as a direct result of Operation Fast & Furious - which Barry O won't discuss - wonder why?

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Jun 2012, 1:06 am

snapcap wrote:

Next it's going to be the same for Lebanon and Jordan, and Iran, blah blah blah.

no, i think next time its going to be two major cities that get nuked, and then we start WWIII

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 9:37 am

johansen wrote:
snapcap wrote:

no, i think next time its going to be two major cities that get nuked, and then we start WWIII

Be careful, you might get what you pray for. Ezekiel 38 and 39 have not been fulfilled yet. It referes to what theologians term as the Russian invasion of Israel. Bear in mind that Magog is Hebrew for Moscovy. Rus, for Russia. It will be the battle that ushers in the advent of the antichrist. From the stand point of an officer who has done some intell work in his day, this is becoming more and more probable.

Longshanks

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 11:31 am

Longshanks wrote:
I am a direct descendant of Charles Martel, and thus Charlemagne...

Longshanks

Your statement is logically incorrect.

Charlemagne was only one of several grandchildren of Charles Martel. If you are a descendant of Charlemagne, then you are ipso facto a descentant of Charles Martel, but the converse (as you have set it out) is not necessarily true.

Longshanks
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 10:18 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Longshanks wrote:
I am a direct descendant of Charles Martel, and thus Charlemagne...

Longshanks

Your statement is logically incorrect.

Charlemagne was only one of several grandchildren of Charles Martel. If you are a descendant of Charlemagne, then you are ipso facto a descentant of Charles Martel, but the converse (as you have set it out) is not necessarily true.

Yeah, I get that way after only two hours' sleep. Logic continues to take a nap on me when I don't have more less ugly sleep.

Longshanks

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 8:48 am

snapcap wrote:
Israel accuses Syria of genocide, urges intervention

Quote:
Vice Prime Minister Shaul Mofaz urged world powers to topple Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in the same way that last year's Western-backed campaign in Libya overthrew former strongman Muammar Gaddafi.

In separate comments, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the Syrian government was slaughtering civilians with the support of Israel's arch-foes Iran and Hezbollah. "The world should understand what kind of environment we live in," he said in remarks to his cabinet that were later broadcast.

So there you have it. Syria's alley in Iran is it's snuffer.

Well, don't you think the Syrian government is pretty awful? I don't see the word genocide in that article.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 9:09 am

Nexus wrote:
I doubt the Russians are just going to let their strategic resources be lost in Syria to the Americans, as I assume that's their key motivator to their position of keeping Assad in. So believe me, Russia will get involved if intervention is attempted and that's where the real danger lies. A potential escalation into a world war. It's starting to feel like the cold war is back on again.

Russia no longer has the cojenes for a major world war.

ruvevyn

Aelfwine
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Jun 2012, 11:07 am

Is there any country which is interested in an world war ????? (I think no)

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 11:50 am

Aelfwine wrote:

If the profits are high enough.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2012, 12:09 pm

snapcap wrote:
Aelfwine wrote:

If the profits are high enough.

What profits? Wars leave countries paying more. They lose money.