GlaxoSmithKline settles big healthcare fraud case

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2012, 5:01 pm

Quote:
UPDATE 4-GlaxoSmithKline settles healthcare fraud case for $3 bln, Reuters, David Ingram, Tue Jul 3, 2012 12:29am IST.
http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/07/0 ... J620120702

“ . . . GSK targeted the antidepressant Paxil to patients under age 18 when it was approved for adults only, and it pushed the drug Wellbutrin for uses it was not approved for, including weight loss and treatment of sexual dysfunction, . . ”

“ . . . The company went to extreme lengths to promote the drugs, such as distributing a misleading medical journal article and providing doctors with meals and spa treatments that amounted to illegal kickbacks, prosecutors said. . . ”

“ . . . In a third instance, GSK failed to give the U.S. Food and Drug Administration safety data about its diabetes drug Avandia, . . ”

“ . . . The company will not be able to compensate its salesmen based on sales goals for territories. . . ”

I myself sometimes experience and struggle with bouts of depression. I have not yet tried antidepressants, but they are kind of my Ace in the hole. My plan is 5 antidepressants, 5 months, because it typically takes a month to tell if one is working or not. In a reputable sense, it is trial and error. And sometimes it's also important to step down from an antidepressant in stages (like 2/3's dose, half-dose, one-third dose), even if the damn thing doesn't seem to be working (apparently your body still gets somewhat used to it none the less). http://articles.latimes.com/2009/aug/03 ... ing-drugs3

And yes, it is important that the company be reasonably open and honest.

CyborgUprising
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2012, 2:27 pm

A corrupt pharmaceutical company... Why am I not surprised?

Oldout
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 10:54 am

This is a prime example of the main corporate goal of making a profit. Anything goes when pursuing profits. Quite frankly I wouldn't be surprised to see some company selling snake oil soon.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2012, 4:35 pm

Now, companies preach that maintaining their good reputation is part of making a profit. "Hey, we have to take care of our customers and employees," all that good stuff.

But, for hot shot managers wanting to continue moving up, I think the prospect of being judged negatively for this quarter's numbers is just too big a deal, and too strong an incentive to cheat in one way or another.