Apple's events: Live-blogged b/n streamed. Discriminatory?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

haidouk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2012, 12:55 pm

Today Apple is launching the iPhone 5. If I'm not mistaken they used to stream these events so interested people could follow along.

Now, they have adopted a policy of allowing no streaming, but live-blogging from the event so reporters w CNET, Wired, etc are sitting there literally typing in everything that's said, and uploading pictures--almost instantaneously... However we are deprived of the opportunity of just WATCHING the presentation. So there is no information that is "concealed"--it's just that people are forced to process it in the written form.

I ask, is this 1972? Is this not an oxymoronic practice for a company like this?

Clearly Apple wishes to maintain an "exclusive" mystique for marketing purposes, blah, blah, blah.

I claim that what they're doing is, in fact, discriminatory to some people who have issues with reading and who do much better with watching the information being presented in video format--including a number of people with ASDs/on the autism spectrum. I find this to be kind of an outrageous practice, given this.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Monkeyfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2012, 1:08 pm

i don't believe apple has ever streamed their events live. they put up a streaming video of the event shortly afterwards, but to my knowledge steve jobs wanted to control the presentation. if something went horribly wrong, he didn't want that live as has happened with microsoft presentations.

within a couple hours a video of the event will be on apple's site. you're being a bit over-the-top to think it's some type of discrimination.

haidouk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2012, 1:29 pm

Monkeyfoot wrote:
i don't believe apple has ever streamed their events live. they put up a streaming video of the event shortly afterwards, but to my knowledge steve jobs wanted to control the presentation. if something went horribly wrong, he didn't want that live as has happened with microsoft presentations.

within a couple hours a video of the event will be on apple's site. you're being a bit over-the-top to think it's some type of discrimination.

1) I know for a fact Apple was live-streaming events in 2010.

2) Of course there are bloopers. In fact, there was just a HP article about bloopers from Apple events, with video clips. Here's what else happens: Live bloggers SEE these bloppers and blog them as well. They aren't concealed in any way by not streaming. Also if you say the video of the event is going to be available later anyway--what is the point? People are still going to see it. Unless they chop it up. This is a live, one-take presentation however. Chopping it up is a clear giveaway that something bad happened that they're cropping out. So what do they ultimately gain? My critique is that for a company of this stature the LACK OF CONFIDENCE betrayed by REFUSING to live stream simply for this reason--does nothing to boost their public image, rather this lowers it. This is Apple. If THEY don't have these kinds of things ironed out....?

3) In a highly anticipated and hyped event, releasing video "hours later"--when the actual content was released in near-real-time--is NOT disability accessibility. This is a totally unnecessary level of distancing for people who already have issues, for no justifiable reason.

My 2 cents, and why I made the original posting.

Monkeyfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2012, 1:48 pm

1) i stand corrected... apple has streamed 2 events: 9/1/2010 and 10/20/2012 - with various rumors for why those and no others.

2) i'm not arguing for the validity of delaying the release of the video because of bloopers. i'm just passing along the information. also, the lack of a live stream actually increases the coverage by media outlets and forces them to write about it. if it was all from apple, apple wouldn't get as much media coverage.

3) we're going to have to disagree on disability accessibility. apple has the event for a small group of people. if those people choose to post pics and information, that's their prerogative. apple then posts the video for everyone to see. if you want to troll and accuse them of discrimination against the disabled, you must also accept that from their end they're also withholding the presentation from those without disabilities. you're overreacting and reaching for something to add drama to a situation where there is none.

microsoft didn't live stream their event last June. did you post the same about that event or were you busy trolling elsewhere?

haidouk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Sep 2012, 2:18 pm

Monkeyfoot wrote:
1) i stand corrected... apple has streamed 2 events: 9/1/2010 and 10/20/2012 - with various rumors for why those and no others.

2) i'm not arguing for the validity of delaying the release of the video because of bloopers. i'm just passing along the information. also, the lack of a live stream actually increases the coverage by media outlets and forces them to write about it. if it was all from apple, apple wouldn't get as much media coverage.

3) we're going to have to disagree on disability accessibility. apple has the event for a small group of people. if those people choose to post pics and information, that's their prerogative. apple then posts the video for everyone to see. if you want to troll and accuse them of discrimination against the disabled, you must also accept that from their end they're also withholding the presentation from those without disabilities. you're overreacting and reaching for something to add drama to a situation where there is none.

microsoft didn't live stream their event last June. did you post the same about that event or were you busy trolling elsewhere?

I would be glad to address your issues one by one, but I would ask you to refer to WP guidelines. Thank you.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 3:24 pm

haidouk wrote:
I would be glad to address your issues one by one, but I would ask you to refer to WP guidelines. Thank you.

I think you are going to have a tough row to hoe to make the case that there was a guidelines violation.

Monkeyfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Sep 2012, 4:35 pm

visagrunt wrote:
haidouk wrote:

I think you are going to have a tough row to hoe to make the case that there was a guidelines violation.

what in the WP guidelines would allow you to address the issues one by one? i've verified your fact that apple has live-streamed events previously. i gave reason for apple to hold a private event in response to your caps ridden rant. and i disagree with you on the issue of discrimination and stated i believe you're acting out as a means of attention - aka, trolling. what about that violates any guidelines?

listen, i'm open to a debate on this issue, but you came out of the gate looking for drama. i'm not interested in drama. put together a more rational accusation that's backed up by research of competitor events and actual laws on disability accessibility and we can chat. until then, i'm entitled to my opinion and rant as surely as you are to yours. and... if i'm reading correctly... didn't your first post for this thread end with "thoughts?".

Beauty_pact
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2012, 7:56 pm

lol, who cares. Instead, buy an Android, rather than the inherently corrupt Apple's overpriced, overhyped products.

www.muktware.com/3871/why-boycott-apple ... s-not-dumb

After that, go to Avaaz.org and see what really matters in this world. Or check up things like the company Monsanto, and see how companies of that sort are ruining the whole planet, while politicians put a blind eye to it, and almost everyone else don't feel like bothering to even think about it. Maybe after that, you will forget about this pointless Apple event.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2012, 2:58 am

Dear BeautyPact,
Ihave iPods and an iPad.
Love them, use them every day
I bought an Android tablet.
Can NOT use it.
Not a thing wrong with it, works perfectly, 3 people have taught me how to use it, I can NOT use it!
I also can NOT cook on an electric stove,or understand interactive games, or drive a car.
I am intelligent, self-supporting, competent, but I can NOT use/understand Android.
Apple products, however, make sense, take no effort to use, they 'fit' the way my mind thinks.
So, they are expensive, at least they are not sitting, gathering dust like the worthless Android tablet I wasted money on.
Not everyone can understand the Android system.

Sylkat

Monkeyfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2012, 9:56 am

My company has developed apps for both platforms. We've made money on our apple apps and didn't even come close on the android apps. For that reason, we'll continue to develop exclusively for iOS in the future.

Aside from development, I love the competition in the market for apple. It keeps them moving forward on their devices and gives the consumer a real choice.

For reading, I prefer kindle. It's lighter and I can read it outside. However, when I travel I can open those books in the kindle app on my iPad so I'm only carrying one device.

From a usability perspective, apple has it nailed. Android has to deal with unlimited sizes and processors so they just don't have the option to build things the way apple does.

Apple products cost quite a bit more, but i believe you get what you pay for. To those individuals that are comfortable with customizing their device to suit their needs, android is definitely the way to go. If you want it to work out of the box and have the money, get an apple product.