Page 3 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 1:12 am

Sylkat, there are workarounds for all those problems you've posted, but the core issues are regarding mindsets and self-esteem here. There is nothing wrong with the human body.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:52 am

Anyone can pull the curtains and live as nude as they want, in the house.

'In public' means sharing space with others.

I do not want to sit on a bench, in a bus seat, in a restaurant chair or library chair that a naked person has just sweated on.

And, as I said before, not just sweat.

Self esteem also has to do with how we dress.

Self-expression can be done with a witty t-shirt.

"....there is nothing wrong with the human body." I work in a hospital, former Nurses' Aide, been there, seen it all, there's no reason not to wear clothes, the world is too small to deliberately antagonize each other.

To 'go there', do people with multiple surgery scars and stoma bags and catheters get to be naked, if they wish?

Sylkat

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 8:00 am

Sylkat wrote:
To 'go there', do people with multiple surgery scars and stoma bags and catheters get to be naked, if they wish?

Sylkat

If they wish to, why not?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 11:05 am

Because they, and everyone an enjoy complete sartorial or non-sartorial freedom in their homes.

The rest of us deserve consideration in public shared space.

Sylkat

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 1:45 pm

It seems to me (and this is intuitive, I have no evidence to back this up), that if we had a more relaxed attitude towards public nudity, we would also have fewer issues of depression and anxiety focussed on body self-image and fewer cases of eating disorders.

We are confronted with myriad representations of beautiful, near perfect bodies. And no matter how rational we are in our recognition that these are the outliers, they are nonetheless the persistent images in our minds. But if we were more comfortable with other people's skin, we might become more comfortable in our own skin.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:06 pm

The general and, in too many cases, specific contours of bodies are obvious in tight t-shirts, tank tops, mini skirts, leggings, swimsuit tops worn as tops, worn by anyone who chooses to.

Being realistic and non-judgemental and accepting is a matter of maturity and kindness, not familiarity. If familiarity caused acceptance, bullying would never happen.

Every state in the union has many, many nudist camps..one well-known local one (Southern California) has year-round-living.

No one needs to be deliberately offensive.

Sylkat

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2013, 4:41 pm

Sylkat wrote:
The general and, in too many cases, specific contours of bodies are obvious in tight t-shirts, tank tops, mini skirts, leggings, swimsuit tops worn as tops, worn by anyone who chooses to.

Being realistic and non-judgemental and accepting is a matter of maturity and kindness, not familiarity. If familiarity caused acceptance, bullying would never happen.

Every state in the union has many, many nudist camps..one well-known local one (Southern California) has year-round-living.

No one needs to be deliberately offensive.

Sylkat

You serve to prove my point.

By describing public nudity as offensive, you leave open the question of what, precisely, you object to?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

27 Feb 2013, 5:01 pm

But Sylkat explained the hysiene issues so nicely. She has a valid point! I think nudity should be optional. Just as a restaurant has smoking and non smoking areas,(outdoor smoking usually, depending on the smoking laws in the country concerned), one could consider having clothed and non-clothed areas. Then one would have the choice of where to sit, without having to impose your preference on the others.

I think most people would have a problem exposing their young children to public nudity. That's why there are a few beaches where nudity is allowed and others where it is not.

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 5:33 am

Point blank, I don't want to see any humans junk. The hollywood award attendants are disgusting enough.

J-Greens
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2013, 9:07 am

visagrunt wrote:
It seems to me (and this is intuitive, I have no evidence to back this up), that if we had a more relaxed attitude towards public nudity, we would also have fewer issues of depression and anxiety focussed on body self-image and fewer cases of eating disorders.

We are confronted with myriad representations of beautiful, near perfect bodies. And no matter how rational we are in our recognition that these are the outliers, they are nonetheless the persistent images in our minds. But if we were more comfortable with other people's skin, we might become more comfortable in our own skin.

Totally agree. Modern mindsets on appearance are so warped that it creates mental problems such as body dysmorphic disorder, Anorexia, Bulimia and at least another dozen problems. It's not right!

envirozentinel wrote:
Just as a restaurant has smoking and non smoking areas,(outdoor smoking usually, depending on the smoking laws in the country concerned), one could consider having clothed and non-clothed areas. Then one would have the choice of where to sit, without having to impose your preference on the others.

So you're advocating segregation - which will lead to discrimination. Wonderful!

envirozentinel wrote:
I think most people would have a problem exposing their young children to public nudity.

Please explain why a normal human body is taboo to a child?

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 11:24 am

I watched a Monk episode the other night and it featured a streaker who was chased by the police. The show Monk is in San Francisco so that is really kind of interesting that nudity was just banned there.

I remember in college during final exams week, a student or two would streak around campus to let off steam.

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2013, 12:59 pm

You guys are all a buncha prudes... And you're afraid of the human body, apparently... We all have one. Half of us have penises, and half of us have vaginas. What's there to be afraid of? What's the mystery?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2013, 4:22 pm

It seems to me that the majority of people who want public nudity to be legal, especially women, are strippers or hookers or superficially attractive. If they were old and fat and unattractive they might not be so eager to show the world their body parts. I live in Canada, so climate is a pretty big issue as well. And safety is an issue everywhere, especially if you're a woman. Tomorrow is St. Patrick's day but about the only green things we'll be seeing are the decorations. It's like people have no sense of privacy any more. If wearing a bathing suit when I'm swimming or even in the showers before and after hitting the pool makes me a "prude", then I guess I'm guilty as charged. Everything is so hypersexualized now and I'm sick of it!

If TV has taught me anything at all, it's that when guys see a woman who looks like me parading around naked, or nearly naked, they throw up.

SoftKitty
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 3:19 pm

And I thought that San Franciscan policy about nudity is one of the most liberal in the United States. How foolish of me.

I still find the overall American view of nudity as a very hypocritical one. It´s absurd, and it mostly shows on TV. In American movies, you rarely see naked people, but little kids are used to watching bloody scenes in which gangsters blows their heads off. There must be something very wrong with the American view of these things. Maybe that´s why there are always such horrible incidents (like with Adam Lanza). Seriously, you don´t get to see something like this in the EVERYDAY LIFE of a common European. Speaks for itself, doesn´t it?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2013, 5:23 pm

SoftKitty wrote:
And I thought that San Franciscan policy about nudity is one of the most liberal in the United States. How foolish of me.

I still find the overall American view of nudity as a very hypocritical one. It´s absurd, and it mostly shows on TV. In American movies, you rarely see naked people, but little kids are used to watching bloody scenes in which gangsters blows their heads off. There must be something very wrong with the American view of these things. Maybe that´s why there are always such horrible incidents (like with Adam Lanza). Seriously, you don´t get to see something like this in the EVERYDAY LIFE of a common European. Speaks for itself, doesn´t it?

Guess so.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer