NOT GOOD, Connecticut shooter was diagnosed with Aspergers..

Page 11 of 28 [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 28  Next

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Dec 2012, 2:03 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
With all due respect I do not think being emotionally disturbed, depressed or having a personality disorder, makes one do something like that...considering not everyone who is emotionally disturbed, depressed or has a personality disorder would do something like that. Could those things be factors? sure....if he had aspergers would that be a factor? yeah probably....

Yes, I agree. They are just factors. But I'm saying that Asperger's alone isn't the cause of sociopathic and violent behaviour. It just seems to me that the effects of depression and other mental health issues can be more tempestuous to someone's psychological state, and be a push into doing something regrettable.

Quote:
but I can think of a number of other factors that come from society that could certainly drive someone to do something extreme after all everyone has their breaking point

And yes, I also understand that external factors are most likely at play as well.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:06 pm

Is it just possible that the shooter had a brain tumor just like Charles Whitman had back in 1966?

ruveyn

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:36 pm

Ganondox wrote:
This makes me scared. I have no reason to fear crazy people, most of them don't want to hurt you and most of those who do are safely locked up, I'm afraid of the regular people. I'm not scared of my school being shot up, it's not likely to happen and my school is already extremely secure, I'm scared people are going to go witch burning. The most dangerous people are the normal ones, the ones who have to be afraid are the strange ones.

The 'normal ones' are a main component of the social exclusion and bullying, that ALWAYS precipitates these rage filled acts
The 'normal ones' put the sufferer of social exclusion on medication, but they continue to be ostracised and bullied by their schools and workplaces, shops and in the street

Medication injury[or more specifically medication withdrawal] on top of bullying

And bammo

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:37 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the government and corporations instigated eugenics programs to stamp out the "Aspie scum".

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 2:56 pm

I think that it is very possible for an autistic person who is very discontented with self and disconnected from eberryone to get the idear of going on a killing spree, get stuck on it, obsess obsess obsess, plan it, and do it as the only thing that he has to live for. The fact that most autistic people wouldn't do anything like this doesn't mean that one autistic person wouldn't or that the reasons that he did it wouldn't have to do with autism.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:04 pm

pensieve wrote:
Being half-Indian I copped a bit of that after 9/11 and a year back there was violence against Indian students.

I know how you feel. I was beaten up several times because some guy in school said my lack of eye contact and not wanting to be touched was because I was gay. I was getting "gay bashed" more than the homosexual students because of that guy. :roll:

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:15 pm

I usually tell whoever I meet that I have Aspergers and explain it because I never heard of Asperger's Syndrome until I accidently watched an episode of the Doctors. I try to educate people about my autism. You would be suprised how many people told me they thought of "Rainman" when they thought of autism. I would make sure to speak well and sound intelligent as possible. I wanted them to walk away thinking, "Wow, that autistic guy is intelligent and funny." Now because of the media harping on and on about the killer's Aspergers Syndrome I have to worry that the person I am telling about my autism is going to be thinking in the back of their heads that I am a serial killer or something.

The media is doing more harm than good. If all the media replaced the word Aspergers with African American when describing the killer there would be an uproar and newspeople would be loosing their jobs for being a biggot.

Clucky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 3:21 pm

The misinformation the media is spreading is utterly disgraceful; they have an obligation especially in cases like these to report the facts.
A man on Piers Morgan last night said people with Aspergers lack empathy.
Now I believe this man may have made a mistake, but it's up to CNN to correct this mistake and make it abundantly clear that this isn't the case.
This kinda of misinformation is harmful and can lead to the demonization of autistics.
A station of CNN should not be spreading such slanderous nonsense.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:39 pm

The forensic psychiatrist on CNN was trying to stress that this is NOT typical behavior for Autistics,he really seemed to be trying to get that point across.
They were stressing the lack of help amd services for people that are dealing with psychiatric issues.I hope people will listen and realize that this is not something the majority of people on the spectrum would do.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:43 pm

Now there's news the mother bought the guns for her kid that supposedly had some problems with his personality. You have to wonder why some people lack so much judgment. If you are going to buy your kid a lot of handguns, don't be surprised if your kid shoots you one day.

Clucky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2012, 3:45 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Now there's news the mother bought the guns for her kid that supposedly had some problems with his personality. You have to wonder why some people lack so much judgment. If you are going to buy your kid a lot of handguns, don't be surprised if your kid shoots you one day.

I think it's harsh to put blame on the mother, sure in hindsight she should have known better.
But she probably never thought her son was capable of such a heinous act.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:54 pm

Clucky wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

I think it's harsh to put blame on the mother, sure in hindsight she should have known better.
But she probably never thought her son was capable of such a heinous act.

Yeah but still these are powerful guns. Be reasonable. If some family member asked me to buy a gun for them I would tell them they need to wait until they can buy their own guns. Simple thing to say, "If you want a gun you go buy it." Don't ever trust people who want you to buy guns for them unless it's a birthday or Christmas gift and even then be wary. Be very, very wary.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 3:56 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

That is called a strawman purchase which is illegal to do. Maybe the shooter had other mental problems that kept him from purchasing the firearms himself, so the mother bought him the firearms. They don't sell firearms to people with mental problems or have been instationalized.

It legal for autistic people to own and purchase firearms. I wonder what mental illness prevented him from purchasing the firearms himself?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:00 pm

Todesking wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:

That is called a strawman purchase which is illegal to do. Maybe the shooter had other mental problems that kept him from purchasing the firearms himself, so the mother bought him the firearms. They don't sell firearms to people with mental problems or have been instationalized.

It legal for autistic people to own and purchase firearms. I wonder what mental illness prevented him from purchasing the firearms himself?

I read around the net it's because the guy is under 21 so the mom buys him some guns, probably for birthdays and Christmases but still. Bad idea and she paid the ultimate price for lack of judgment.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:09 pm

ruveyn wrote:
Is it just possible that the shooter had a brain tumor just like Charles Whitman had back in 1966?

ruveyn

As with Whitman, only an autopsy will tell.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 4:13 pm

Dr.Sanjay Gupta is on CNN mentioning the fact that Autistics do NOT usually commit these acts.He has mentioned a study on 132 Autistics and only three out of that group study had issues with reactive violence but NOT the kind of planning that goes into an attack like this.
And that people should not be rushing to conclusions about the shooter and what issues he was dealing with.