NOT GOOD, Connecticut shooter was diagnosed with Aspergers..

Page 4 of 28 [ 446 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 28  Next

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:19 am

UnLoser wrote:
I am a little shocked and saddened that autistic people are committing these horrible crimes, though.
Don't be. Neurotypical people commit horrible crimes; so do autistic people, though by some accounts autistics commit fewer crimes. Just because we're disabled doesn't make us morally any different from NTs. If our autism affects anything, it's probably just because some crimes are social activities.

We're autistic, but we're human, primarily, and that means we're capable of both great good and true evil. And occasionally, an autistic person chooses evil. They choose it not because they're autistic, but because they are human, and that kind of potential to do really horrible things is to be found within all humans, just like the potential for good.

What we want to give people isn't the idea that we're wonderful little angels, but that we're simply humans who can go one way or the other, as we decide, just as they are. We want them to know that we are individuals, fellow humans. We want them to have a realistic picture of us.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Last edited by Callista on 15 Dec 2012, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharkgirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Dec 2012, 12:22 am

In this together please be aware that your comments regarding the common stereotype of people who are paranoid and delusional being more likely to commit homicide are Unfounded and hippocritcal . I am sure the population of people suffering with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders are thrilled that you have tried to turn the tables on them in the same manner in which you are insulted by the mass media and social hysteria that may ensue from using steriotypes.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:24 am

Sharkgirl wrote:
In this together please be aware that your comments regarding the common stereotype of people who are paranoid and delusional being more likely to commit homicide are Unfounded and hippocritcal . I am sure the population of people suffering with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders are thrilled that you have tried to turn the tables on them in the same manner in which you are insulted by the mass media and social hysteria that may ensue from using steriotypes.
That is correct. People with schizophrenia are no more violent than the general population. Once you control for the increased drug use and homelessness among those with mental illnesses, they're not even any more likely to commit crimes.

The disability rights movement in general is fighting this sort of thing. But what we're facing now, with this idea that autistics go on shooting sprees, is pretty much the exact same thing that people with schizophrenia and other disorders involving psychosis have been having to deal with for a long time.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2012, 12:25 am

Unfortunately reminds me of the time that Wrong Planet member went on a shooting rampage.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HqSW_ReoUw[/youtube]

As I say in the interview above "Asperger's DOES NOT cause violence." It's tragic when the media tries to turn a tragedy like this into infotainment and even worse when it unnecessarily hurts people with asperger's just to create some sensationalism.

Here's another one:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HShl-7Pu3b4[/youtube]

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:27 am

Callista wrote:
UnLoser wrote:
I am a little shocked and saddened that autistic people are committing these horrible crimes, though.
Don't be. Neurotypical people commit horrible crimes; so do autistic people, though by some accounts autistics commit fewer crimes. Just because we're disabled doesn't make us morally any different from NTs. If our autism affects anything, it's probably just because some crimes are social activities.

We're autistic, but we're human, primarily, and that means we're capable of both great good and true evil. And occasionally, an autistic person chooses evil. They choose it not because they're autistic, but because they are human, and that kind of potential to do really horrible things is to be found within all humans, just like the potential for good.

What we want to give people isn't the idea that we're wonderful little angels, but that we're simply humans who can go one way or the other, as we decide, just as they are. We want them to know that we are individuals, fellow humans. We want them to have a realistic picture of us.

Agreed. In no real way will things get bad[worse] for aspies, the authorities will be accused of unfair discrimination

What may occur is some reactionaries make comments on blogs and some idiot people on TV may diss aspies, or those others with development disorders

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:28 am

Has anything been said about his other disorders? Once they mention those, we need to make sure to chime in on those other disorders when we here someone is bad mouthing Asperger's Syndrome.

If anyone hears anything about those other disorders they need to post them so we can steer people away from blaming it all on his Aspergers.

alpinedon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2012, 12:31 am

Okay, I just have to say this. I have Asperger's and I too, have been pushed to the point where I wanted to kill. I did. I actually have wondered if some of the other mass shootings that have occurred have been perpetrated by fellow aspies. I know that we are not evil, I know that we do have empathy, but this is what would happen to me: I would get so picked on, so badly that I would just stew and stew and the pain, the isolation, the feelings of injustice would get so bad that sometimes the only way I could imagine I could deal with it was to hurt someone so badly that there could be no doubt to anyone that this person had hurt me. Think about how obsessive we get with our interests. Now imagine being that obsessive about getting revenge, even if it is directed in the wrong direction. It is not the right way to deal with it, I know that now, but it took me many years to realize that I could express myself much more gently. Buddhism helped. A lot. But nevertheless, I, for one, am not too surprised that he may be an Aspie. What I think it means is that people with Aspergers, especially when they are bullied, really need someone to let them vent, or else it reaches a point where it just drives you insane. Unfortunately, most of you are right, the mainstream will not take this the right way, they will probably vilify Aspies in general, and that will only make the problem worse. I know that even now, when I am mad at someone, I always envision lashing out and getting revenge in ways that far exceed the situation at hand, and I bet there are a lot of you out there who think the same way.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:32 am

God Alex, you've got brass balls. I really, really, really wish I was as brave as you.

If wishes were fishes, we'd all cast nets. As Momma used to say.

How'd you get that brave?? Maybe I can follow suit.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:33 am

Todesking wrote:

If anyone hears anything about those other disorders they need to post them so we can steer people away from blaming it all on his Aspergers.

Maybe....
It may be advantageous to have everyone talking ASD's
things may get better
especially for aspies bullied in schools and at home....
spree shootings may actually reduce
kids dont get shot up
if aspies and bullied others suffer NT's less

Last edited by Surfman on 15 Dec 2012, 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

15 Dec 2012, 12:34 am

People try to explain violence like this and try to make sense of it but here's the thing: it doesn't make sense. There is no answer to the question of "why"

Look at how many people get bullied and don't go do something like this ( 100% aside from statistical anomalies like this incident)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:34 am

Damn it, why does every shooter have to have it? :evil:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

InThisTogether
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:36 am

Sharkgirl wrote:

Reread what I wrote. I made no claim that people who are delusional or paranoid are violent. I merely stated that we have no idea whether or not this kid knew what he was doing nor that he knew right from wrong. We don't know what his mental state was.

For the record, I have spent many years working with people with mental illness. I am well aware that people who are delusional and paranoid are not all violent. However, I also happen to be aware that someone who is nonviolent by nature can become so given the right delusions and sufficient paranoia. That doesn't make them evil or bad. I personally don't even think it makes them responsible.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:40 am

It is safe to say people with Aspergers have more to fear from NT's than NTs have to fear from people with Aspergers.

I have never randomly hit someone for being NT, but I have been hit by a large number of NT's for being weird.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2012, 12:42 am

League_Girl wrote:
Damn it, why does every shooter have to have it? :evil:

the internet and social media may have some part to play
talking about it like this
is how copycat crimes are seeded

silentlyvela
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Dec 2012, 12:43 am

I don't understand at all how someone can intentionally be violent and I've been bullied many times. If I get upset I run away and only use what's required to get away if someone gets in my way.

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Dec 2012, 12:46 am

anyone can be pushed to kill but i think the connection between school shootings and asperger's if there even is one is that Aspies tend to not only be easy open targets of bullying but also don't usually fight back in turn allowing for them to be bullied not only more in terms of ammount but also in terms of severity and this if anything i feel would be the factor to consider not just them being emotionless aspies which i sure as hell have emotions and even empathy!

also here is a short dislaimer i wrote on my FB page after hearing this

for the record let me state that what i did at school when i was 17 was not intended to cause anyone anything more than a slight scare after having to deal with being treated like s**t on a daily basis for 11 years of my life. i do not advocate harming other people let alone killing and the only weapons i posses are words art and and music also i am diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome but now they'
re saying this shooter and i believe they said James holmes was also diagnosed with AS and the point im getting nervous to go outside because of a mix of certain people judging me for something i did over a decade ago when i was still a stupid young kid that i am nothing even remotely like in my adult life nor since. ive not been in trouble, ive not hurt anyone and if anything i go out of my way to help out people when i can 99% of the time even when i have nothing to gain from it and mix that with having the AS diagnosis that i do along with these monsters commiting atrocious acts and can you blame me now for being just a little paranoid?
As it stands i live by a very strict albeit simple code
1:do not harm yourself or others
2:help out when and however you can but dont expect payment
3:understand it takes all walks of life to make the world go round and remain open to understanding
4:do what you can to make this world better for those just starting out as well as your fellow man
5:do not lie cheat or steal
6:show respect to those who deserve it and do not disrespect those you do not know
7:learn to love and live it
8:try not to vent more than you have to and pass on negativity through such actions
9:Question,Understand,Adapt
and 10: do your best to give others the benefit of the doubt

with that all being ranted out and said anyone who knows me knows im not a violent person, i don't really hold a grudge, and even tho i can be a bit bitchy or whiny im generally known to have a positive personality so please don't judge me on the actions of monsters or a past which i have done my best to grow up from.

Thank you

a brief backstory
back in school from 1st grade until 11th when i had my incident i was beaten and bullied on a daily basis physically and psychologically even not during school hours i would have groups of local neighborhood kids riding their bikes in circles outside my house threatening to beat me amongst other things daily for hours upon hours and finally after turning to drugs namely valium and xanax i snapped one night shaved my eyebrows dyed my hair black and while still high came up with the idea to fill a test tube with water bring it to school and tell some people it was chlorine gas i was going to put in the vents just to cause a scare as it was tested by the police, it was only water and i had no other weapons/chemicals ect on me i just wanted to the school to have a wakeup call and in hindsight it was not a well thought out way of doing that i've known for a long time now and would never do such a thing again let alone something worse! im rather relaxed and content in life at age 30 and have no real issues with anyone and get along with pretty much everyone i meet but i ended going to a boys boarding school for 5 months following a month in a psychatiric childrens hospital for evaluation. but that turned out to be a great experiencing i grew and learned alot from and had it not happened i may have gotten into worse trouble with age but thankfully since that incident i havent had any legal problems aside from 3 or 4 traffic violations and 1 time lowest level misdemeanor one can get for having a marijuana pipe in my pocket on my way to go for a hike last year and i rarely if ever even smoke but figured it would be a nice day but oops heh. ok regardless i think i made my point and sorry for the rant style but as you all know it happens with some of us :-)