US President to push proposals to prevent further shootings

Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 4:03 am

auntblabby wrote:
rather than force all teachers to "man up" and arm themselves, a simpler solution would be to make all schools have a standard security method of one entry/one exit, with metal detectors paid for via one-time property levee surcharge. otherwise most schools could not afford the metal detectors. adopt "[school] ground marshals" wearing plain clothes who may be select teachers with the temperament for the job. not all teachers [not all people in general, not singling out teachers] are fit to carry firearms. arming uniformed security guards would not be as good a solution as it would seem to most people to be.

I don't think anyone is advocating for forcing teacher to arm themselves, the closest I've seen is allowing teachers who already have CCW permits to carry at work, which given the proven history or armed intervention in cutting this attacks short and good safety and conduct records of CCW holders nationally, isn't a bad idea. I like this idea better than uniformed security or permanently stationed cops for the same reason I prefer armed civilians to a cop on every corner; when no one knows who's armed, bad guys have to treat everyone as if they're potentially armed. It works for deterring home invasions and hot burglaries, it could work for schools too.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 5:04 am

^^^
Plus, there are ways an armed, uniformed guard (private or sworn law enforcement) can be singled out in the beginning of an attack. I can't get more detailed without advertizing stuff that can be used maliciously, but suffice to say, a high probability of an unknown number of concealed carriers scattered around a campus is a strong deterrent. they will go find a gun free safe zone instead.

By all means, have uniformed, armed security, but don't bet your life on that being guaranteed to work.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2012, 7:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
rather than force all teachers to "man up" and arm themselves, a simpler solution would be to make all schools have a standard security method of one entry/one exit, with metal detectors paid for via one-time property levee surcharge. otherwise most schools could not afford the metal detectors. adopt "[school] ground marshals" wearing plain clothes who may be select teachers with the temperament for the job. not all teachers [not all people in general, not singling out teachers] are fit to carry firearms. arming uniformed security guards would not be as good a solution as it would seem to most people to be.

If you can't trust a teacher with a gun, why on earth are you trusting them with 20+ young children?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 9:38 pm

JBlitzen wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

If you can't trust a teacher with a gun, why on earth are you trusting them with 20+ young children?

because the same set of talents/aptitudes that make for good dealings with children, don't always overlap with chuck norris-type macho skills.

JBlitzen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Dec 2012, 9:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
because the same set of talents/aptitudes that make for good dealings with children, don't always overlap with chuck norris-type macho skills.

I assume you know that from experience, having been professionally trained in handgun shooting and having concluded that it's only for certain types of people.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 10:09 pm

JBlitzen wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I assume you know that from experience, having been professionally trained in handgun shooting and having concluded that it's only for certain types of people.

no need to be snarky. i know from my own experience, that despite the army drill instructors' raucously profane efforts, i had and continue to have no business with any kind of weapon, and i know/have known public school teachers who were exactly the same way. it is plain that not everybody is cut out to handle weapons. anybody that would contest that is just the type of person to brute-force shove a square peg through a round hole.

John_Browning
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2012, 10:54 pm

auntblabby wrote:
JBlitzen wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

no need to be snarky. i know from my own experience, that despite the army drill instructors' raucously profane efforts, i had and continue to have no business with any kind of weapon, and i know/have known public school teachers who were exactly the same way. it is plain that not everybody is cut out to handle weapons. anybody that would contest that is just the type of person to brute-force shove a square peg through a round hole.

That's why it would not be mandated for any teacher to do.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of ret*d sexual and emotional maturity."
-Sigmund Freud

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Dec 2012, 4:07 pm

I'm not worried about Obama taking my gun. After guns are banned for American citizens, I figure I'll still be able to get arms from the ATF by telling them I work for a Mexican drug lord. (Under Obama's plan, the ATF gives guns to Mexican criminals in order to prove that Mexican criminals get their guns from America; this justifies seizing guns from American citizens.) If the ATF agents say I don't look Mexican and thus am not entitled to a government gun, then I'll play the "discrimination" card and sue them for racial profiling. My only concern is that the tight budget may cut back on the program to give guns to Mexican criminals. However, seeing that it benefits foreigners, we can expect that's the sort of program that will always be fully funded.

But seriously...intelligent people should applaud Obama's anti-gun stance. On the face of it, yes, it seems like an attack on the 2nd Amendment. But look more closely and you'll find the Machiavellian reversal. The various "wars" are inevitably counterproductive. War on poverty? More poverty! War on drugs? More drugs! The war on guns is the best thing that ever happened to the firearms industry. The rest of the economy is going down the drain; the only people making money are government cronies...except for the gun business, which is booming. I don't think firearms are a large enough sector to get the country moving again, but we must give credit to Obama for the only positive thing he's done for the domestic economy.