alex
Developer
Developer

17 Dec 2012, 5:22 pm

Fears of Stigmatizing People With Autism by Amy Harmon

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/healt ... share&_r=0
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1 ... mes#autism

Quote:
Amid reports from neighbors and classmates that the gunman in the shooting rampage in, Newtown, Conn., had an autism variant known as Asperger syndrome, adults with the condition and parents of children with the diagnosis are fighting what they fear may be a growing impression that it is associated with premeditated violence.

Individuals with autism spectrum disorders, who are often bullied in school and in the workplace, frequently do suffer from depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. A divorce mediator who met with the parents of Adam Lanza, the accused gunman, during their divorce told The Associated Press that the couple had said that their son had been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome.

But experts say there is no evidence that they are more likely than any other group to commit violent crimes.

Last edited by alex on 18 Dec 2012, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:31 pm

We are already misunderstood and now more misinformation and misunderstanding towards our group. It is so sad what happened to the victims in Newtown,Ct and there must be healing-not persecution of others and no generalizations of the behaviors of people on the autism spectrum.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:32 pm

Did you see the quote at the bottom of the article?

Quote:
“Words cannot express the depth of the pain I feel for those left behind who have to bear this loss,’’ wrote Lee Anderson, 20, of Cookville, Tenn., whose WrongPlanet profile lists his diagnosis as “Have Aspergers” and his occupation as “Homeschool Student/Paintball Player.”

Taken from his post right here in this thread:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt218321.html

How cool is that?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 5:53 pm

I don't think rejecting people on the spectrum will make anything better. It may make things worse. When does making people feel sad and rejected make them less likely to shoot you. The only reason is if the shooter ends up dead or paralyzed which is not a good thing to do to people. Rejecting people more how is that to make them less likely to harm you?

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 6:00 pm

ianorlin wrote:
I don't think rejecting people on the spectrum will make anything better. It may make things worse. When does making people feel sad and rejected make them less likely to shoot you. The only reason is if the shooter ends up dead or paralyzed which is not a good thing to do to people. Rejecting people more how is that to make them less likely to harm you?

You do realize the article is essentially in complete agreement with you? Perhaps you've misinterpreted?

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Trencher93
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Dec 2012, 6:02 pm

MrXxx wrote:

Quote:
“Words cannot express the depth of the pain I feel for those left behind who have to bear this loss,’’ wrote Lee Anderson, 20, of Cookville, Tenn., whose WrongPlanet profile lists his diagnosis as “Have Aspergers” and his occupation as “Homeschool Student/Paintball Player.”

How cool is that?

it's especially good to show that we definitely have empathy. A lot of the media is incorrectly saying we don't have any empathy.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2012, 6:05 pm

alex wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Quote:

How cool is that?

it's especially good to show that we definitely have empathy. A lot of the media is incorrectly saying we don't have any empathy.

How would you suggest we remedy that?

alex
Developer
Developer

17 Dec 2012, 6:07 pm

PM wrote:
alex wrote:
MrXxx wrote:

Quote:

How cool is that?

How would you suggest we remedy that?

Contacting the media and linking to posts like that. ALl the major outlets have ways to contact them on their website.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2012, 6:52 pm

Alex, you suggest that we show others we have empathy. And show others that we have no more tendency to commit violent crimes than any other group (as stated by the new article).

I believe you are exactly right---that's what we need to do.

I am in a position to do this (although on a small scale---I mainly perform in my local area). I have a ministry of music where I play hammered dulcimer, mountain dulcimer, and harmonica. I have been doing this ministry for several years now. I discuss how Asperger's has worked positively in my life, while also stating that there are also challenges. Early last week I was thinking about my new show for the upcoming year. And now...there is a new challenge. The challenge that you have emphasized we need to do.

I need to create a way to weave this into my music ministry in a way that will be effective. I will work on it. If you (or anyone else) has any suggestions on good approaches to do this, I would appreciate it.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Dec 2012, 9:23 pm

alex wrote:
Fears of Stigmatizing People With Autism by Amy Harmon

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/1 ... mes#autism

Quote:
Amid reports from neighbors and classmates that the gunman in the shooting rampage in, Newtown, Conn., had an autism variant known as Asperger syndrome, adults with the condition and parents of children with the diagnosis are fighting what they fear may be a growing impression that it is associated with premeditated violence.

Individuals with autism spectrum disorders, who are often bullied in school and in the workplace, frequently do suffer from depression, anxiety and suicidal thoughts. A divorce mediator who met with the parents of Adam Lanza, the accused gunman, during their divorce told The Associated Press that the couple had said that their son had been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome.

But experts say there is no evidence that they are more likely than any other group to commit violent crimes.

If they want to make a connection then according to the media, people with brown hair are also potential mass murderers. What a bunch of flawed logic from uninformed tools.

Renaissance
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Dec 2012, 10:19 pm

Some on CNN and FoxNews are implying that Aspergers and ASD people need to be "monitored" and imply that we are more dangerous than the rest of the population. I don't think we've heard the last of this line of "reporting".

To anyone from Newtown reading WrongPlanet.net to learn about Aspergers/ASD, my sympathies to the victims and people of Newtown. My prayers are with you.

asdmommie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2012, 10:42 pm

Has anyone else noticed that of the 4 teachers killed, one was a teacher getting her masters in spec ed, one was a substitute teacher assigned that was special education, and a behavioral therapist? Makes me sad to think this is not a coincidence:(

My daughter is in kinder and is on the spectrum and we live in a community just like this one, a school just like this one. My nights have been restless since this all happened, and even more compounded with worry given the shooter had Aspergers. Finding this information about the victims/educators backgrounds has made me honestly quite sickened even more. This is all way too close to home for me as a mother of a child with special needs. This is so horribly tragic.

henry14488
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Dec 2012, 10:53 pm

when the soviets took over germany and started raping girls, any girls that killed their rapist was met with reperation. 100s of germans would be killed for every soviet slain by a german in self defense. this isn't exactly accurate history, but you get my message. they shouldn't have brodcasted on mainstream televsion that he's an aspie. they're emotionally training the NTs to hunt us down. they have not adressed why this happened even, i don't think anyone cares about why. if you kill someone, you get life in jail. if you shoot someone paralzing them neck down, you get 10 years. if you finiancially harass them to a point where they starve to death, you get zero years behind bars and are considered a professional. they never put reports of hardcore crime on tv. adam doesn't even match up to hardcore crime but people are too ignorant to notice. if your school had a 1 in 5 chance of having a shooter come in, there would be a media blackout like in china. the school shooting isn't news, it's just propoganda. instead of taking all our right away, they're gonna put us into groups. the majority takes away the rights of the minority. this keeps happening until noone has rights

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 12:11 am

kxmode wrote:

If they want to make a connection then according to the media, people with brown hair are also potential mass murderers. What a bunch of flawed logic from uninformed tools.

exactly
everyone is in panic mode ATM
it will all blow over soon enough for decent honest aspies
some aspies of dubious nature will receive attention
covert and overt
maybe 1 or 2 aspies will even be lynched [literally!! !]

but in the end these *!*!*!*! that are selling this fear mongering
will be seen by the general population for the immoral divisive as*holes they really are

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2012, 12:54 am

The blog post is now a full article. No word on if it's getting in the print edition.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/healt ... utism.html