Teacher with child-phobia faces discrimination

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 12:02 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/1 ... =education

This is an interesting condition that I have never heard of before. It's made even more interesting that someone with such a fear would go into a teaching profession to begin with. Granted she is a high school teacher so I guess she is much more comfortable around teenagers as a result of her condition. I do applaud her for working on the edge though. That would be pretty risky to do with that phobia.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

15 Jan 2013, 4:20 am

I'd like to hear her students impression's of her of as a teacher. Something tells me she wasn't very qualified for her job if she has actually has a crippling fear of children a few years younger than the ones she teaches in high school. Is she afraid of late bloomers? What about a mature 12 year old? I'm guessing the school administration did this because they couldn't get rid of her otherwise with her ironclad union contract. Public employees are some of the most incompetent lazy workers there are.

Threore
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

15 Jan 2013, 6:32 am

Someone's a bit prejudiced...

To illustrate why that's wrong to do, I copied and changed your words to be about you. I hope when you read it you'll understand how presumptuous, insulting and wrong it is. Please note I don't actually mean the words below.

"I'd like to hear your acquaintances' impression of you as someone with opinions. Something tells me you aren't very qualified for that if you actually have a crippling fear of not making assumptions when you don't know something. Are you afraid of logic? What about common sense? I'm guessing your family just ignore or insult your opinions because they can't get rid of you otherwise with your blood ties to them. Prejudiced family members are some of the most incompetent lazy people there are."

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 6:40 am

I don't understand what you are trying saying other than you don't agree with my post.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:32 am

Apparently, you are too old to be put up for adoption.

Yeah, I don't know, I thought for sure this was going to be an Onion article. I feel cheated out of laughter.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 9:17 am

School board seems rather vindictive here. I wonder if other people that argued in favor of the French course were mistreated.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 1:18 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Public employees are some of the most incompetent lazy workers there are.

Typical hyperbole uttered by opinionated, ignorant people who know nothing about the subjects on which they prattle on.

I note, of course, that you have indulged in the coward's favourite rhetorical device--weasel words. But you intention to cast aspersions on public servants is no less clear for that. If you are going to cast aspersion on an entire class of people, perhaps you might take the time to support your claims with some evidence.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 7:37 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Typical hyperbole uttered by opinionated, ignorant people who know nothing about the subjects on which they prattle on.

I note, of course, that you have indulged in the coward's favourite rhetorical device--weasel words. But you intention to cast aspersions on public servants is no less clear for that. If you are going to cast aspersion on an entire class of people, perhaps you might take the time to support your claims with some evidence.

Perhaps they are different in Canada however based on my experiences and from people I know I find what I say to be accurate. Both of my parents were public employees, I've dealt with public employees extensively on a personal level(not including my parents). Ask a public worker on their opinion on other public workers without relation to their own job or compensation and you'd probably come away with a similar answer. I suppose I could get into specific grievances but I'm not sure what the point of that is. Assuming you have had exposure to both, what is your impression of public workers politics aside?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:06 pm

I don't see how a phobia of small children is relevant as far as high school teaching is concerned...I imagine even a highschool teacher without that phobia would be bothered if they were switched to elementary or middle school when they are qualified to teach highschoolers and not younger kids.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:13 pm

Jacoby wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

Perhaps they are different in Canada however based on my experiences and from people I know I find what I say to be accurate. Both of my parents were public employees, I've dealt with public employees extensively on a personal level(not including my parents). Ask a public worker on their opinion on other public workers without relation to their own job or compensation and you'd probably come away with a similar answer. I suppose I could get into specific grievances but I'm not sure what the point of that is. Assuming you have had exposure to both, what is your impression of public workers politics aside?

So its a fact that public employees are the most incompetent lazy workers there are because you and some people you know think that? I am rather curious as to what factual evidence there is to back this up, like some studies or something. I am sure some of them are lazy, some corporate workers are lazy and incompetent to.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 8:57 pm

At first glance it does seem proposterous: like a veteranarian needing accomidation for an animal phobia.

But she does teach highschool kids and not small kids, and her allegation do seem fair- that one might suspect that the school system might be retaliating against her -by ignoring her "condition" that they were previously accomadating.

But yeah- Ive never heard of 'pedophobia' before either. Too bad she isnt a man- so she could join the Catholic priesthood - where they have too much of the opposite of pedophobia!

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 9:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

So its a fact that public employees are the most incompetent lazy workers there are because you and some people you know think that? I am rather curious as to what factual evidence there is to back this up, like some studies or something. I am sure some of them are lazy, some corporate workers are lazy and incompetent to.

I believe the Heritage Foundation did some study on it if that's what you want. I'm sure the World Workers League(not a real group AFAIK) or whatever has a study that says the opposite. I'm not interesting in arguing the merits of such and such thinktank. From 1st hand experience in dealing with public workers and 2nd hand knowledge from actual public worker, this was the conclusion I came to. It makes sense, absolute job security doesn't lend itself to working hard and on the flip side there is no incentive to working hard, you're not going to get paid more. In fact, if you work too hard you'll probably catch grief from workers that don't for making them look bad. The cream does not rise to the top in these sorts of environments. Maybe it is different for more professional workers, my experience comes more from unionized maintenance workers and the police department. However dealing with the "professionals" in education left much to be desired as well.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 9:11 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
At first glance it does seem proposterous: like a veteranarian needing accomidation for an animal phobia.

But she does teach highschool kids and not small kids, and her allegation do seem fair- that one might suspect that the school system might be retaliating against her -by ignoring her "condition" that they were previously accomadating.

But yeah- Ive never heard of 'pedophobia' before either. Too bad she isnt a man- so she could join the Catholic priesthood - where they have too much of the opposite of pedophobia!

Back on topic, I don't buy her phobia. She taught 14-18 year olds in high school but 11-14 somehow were so radically different? It's not as if she was put into a kindergarten class. What trigger this fear, appearance? Was she afraid of undeveloped high schoolers, what about mature middle schoolers? How does she deal with going to the store or the park, does she have any family?

I can understand not liking the change but her claim of being so disabled that she couldn't do the work I find extremely suspect.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 9:24 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
visagrunt wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

I believe the Heritage Foundation did some study on it if that's what you want. I'm sure the World Workers League(not a real group AFAIK) or whatever has a study that says the opposite. I'm not interesting in arguing the merits of such and such thinktank. From 1st hand experience in dealing with public workers and 2nd hand knowledge from actual public worker, this was the conclusion I came to. It makes sense, absolute job security doesn't lend itself to working hard and on the flip side there is no incentive to working hard, you're not going to get paid more. In fact, if you work too hard you'll probably catch grief from workers that don't for making them look bad. The cream does not rise to the top in these sorts of environments. Maybe it is different for more professional workers, my experience comes more from unionized maintenance workers and the police department. However dealing with the "professionals" in education left much to be desired as well.

Who defines what 'working hard' is anyways? I have seen plenty I think work quite hard enough. Besides if it is that there is no incentive that should answer why they might not have motivation to work as hard as they would with more incentive which is probably more human that particularly lazy or incompetent I don't nessisarily agree with that but I cannot really hold it against people since its in a lot of their nature. I don't know i just don't see it indicating all public employees are especially lazy compared to other sorts of employees.

As for education professionals, I remember a lot of good ones and a lot of terrible ones, kind of seems 50/50.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2013, 11:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't see how a phobia of small children is relevant as far as high school teaching is concerned...

A lot of high schoolers behave like small children? I can see how it would be easy to get the two mixed up.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 3:40 am

Tequila wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I don't see how a phobia of small children is relevant as far as high school teaching is concerned...

A lot of high schoolers behave like small children? I can see how it would be easy to get the two mixed up.

It's tricky, but one way of telling what you're dealing with is that you can more easily reason with a small child.

Quote:
Back on topic, I don't buy her phobia. She taught 14-18 year olds in high school but 11-14 somehow were so radically different? It's not as if she was put into a kindergarten class. What trigger this fear, appearance? Was she afraid of undeveloped high schoolers, what about mature middle schoolers? How does she deal with going to the store or the park, does she have any family?

11-14-year-olds are in a different developmental stage to 14-18 year olds. If she wasn't scared of the younger kids in the older group that she was teaching previously, it was probably the younger ones- the 11 and 12 year olds- that set off her fear.
You seem like you're trying to disprove her phobia by saying it's not logical. Phobias are by definition irrational.
She could go to the store during school hours when she'd be less likely to run into children. Not everyone has a family.
If she came across a child, I guess she did what anyone with a fear does: felt scared and tried to avoid it. Supermarkets are actually big enough that you can avoid being cornered by marauding children, you realise.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I