Femicide in Juarez (the reality behind The Bridge)

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

I almost went off on a rant about this issue in the discussion of The Bridge, but it seems more suited to this forum.

More than 370 women have been murdered in Juarez, Mexico since 1993, and the police have failed to take any significant action. This is intolerable. The US has failed to take sufficient action against a bloodbath happening right on it's doorstep.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:56 am

When we are already in debt from ourselves and others over $15,000,000,000,000+, and the people we are in debt to are living worse than us, I think even your little story there is a twig for an inferno. Don't kid yourself, we have plenty of people we should be "being happy with what we have and less" for already.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:00 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I almost went off on a rant about this issue in the discussion of The Bridge, but it seems more suited to this forum.

More than 370 women have been murdered in Juarez, Mexico since 1993, and the police have failed to take any significant action. This is intolerable. The US has failed to take sufficient action against a bloodbath happening right on it's doorstep.

Think about why that is.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:21 pm

appletheclown wrote:
When we are already in debt from ourselves and others over $15,000,000,000,000+, and the people we are in debt to are living worse than us, I think even your little story there is a twig for an inferno. Don't kid yourself, we have plenty of people we should be "being happy with what we have and less" for already.

I don't quite understand what you wrote, but the economic aspect of the situation is relevant. Lots of these women come to work in the factories there, many of which are run by American companies who produce goods for our use.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 12:24 pm

Tequila wrote:

Think about why that is.

The show makes its point of view clear: Someone benefits from the current situation, and racism.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 2:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

The solution is to let Texas secede.

ruveyn

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:13 pm

How is the US now responsible for the failures of Mexican law enforcement?

Also, 370 over 20 years is not that many, working out to around 18 per year; what makes this different from any other violent city?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:17 pm

TRIGGER WARNING

18 women a year raped, tortured, mutilated, and murdered is normal? Let me know what city you mean, so I can avoid it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:20 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
TRIGGER WARNING

Want to read something scary? Try this.

What they did to men, women and babies is unbelievably, indescribably savage. It more than equals Nazi, Soviet, Rwandan, Yugoslavian etc or Islamist atrocities.

Last edited by Tequila on 11 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:26 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:

Juarez is across the river so it's Mexico's problem, not ours. Best way not to be murdered in Juarez is..............not to go to Juarez.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 3:28 pm

Raptor wrote:
Juarez is across the river so it's Mexico's problem, not ours. Best way not to be murdered in Juarez is..............not to go to Juarez.

Unfortunately the drogas, the cartels and the killings are your problem when inside U.S. territory.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:29 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
18 women a year raped, tortured, mutilated, and murdered is normal? Let me know what city you mean, so I can avoid it.

Ahh, now you're moving the goalposts, as your original post only specified a number of women being murdered in a given time period, not the specifics of the murders. So, are these murders connected, like in a serial killer type of way, or is that just how they do things in Juarez?

ianorlin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:40 pm

Not sure this is the most productive use of US policy. How many iraqis died in violence from a war there.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 7:43 pm

Dox47 wrote:
jrjones9933 wrote:

Ahh, now you're moving the goalposts, as your original post only specified a number of women being murdered in a given time period, not the specifics of the murders. So, are these murders connected, like in a serial killer type of way, or is that just how they do things in Juarez?

My original post linked to an article about the situation.

No one knows if they're connected, because the police don't investigate it. I appreciate that they have their hands full, but I feel that this should be made a priority.

The murder situation in Mexico is pretty terrible generally, but Juarez has this problem in addition to a high murder rate (about two thousand in 2011, or 1.5% of the population). Any murder that looks like it was done by drug cartels tends to receive no attention from the authorities, and some journalists have alleged that the army is murdering people and disposing of the bodies publicly in the style of the cartels because they know that no one will investigate cases like that.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 8:23 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
My original post linked to an article about the situation.

No one knows if they're connected, because the police don't investigate it. I appreciate that they have their hands full, but I feel that this should be made a priority.

The murder situation in Mexico is pretty terrible generally, but Juarez has this problem in addition to a high murder rate (about two thousand in 2011, or 1.5% of the population). Any murder that looks like it was done by drug cartels tends to receive no attention from the authorities, and some journalists have alleged that the army is murdering people and disposing of the bodies publicly in the style of the cartels because they know that no one will investigate cases like that.

Missed the stealth link.

Aside from it's own feminist slant, I'm not sure that the wiki article shed a whole lot of light on the situation, as there as a lot of unknowns that it simply speculates on.

Of course, we could always end the failed drug war and really help Mexico out, along with the world at large, but that would force politicians to admit they were wrong and shrink bureaucratic empires, so it's never going to happen.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2013, 11:32 pm

Tequila wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Unfortunately the drogas, the cartels and the killings are your problem when inside U.S. territory.

If they are inside the US then yes. My answer to Mexico is to just close the damn border completely.