Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 6:59 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Librarian -

Sharpton and Jackson had come to the public aid of Trayvon's parents, as the police had been content not to charge the shooter of an unarmed teenage boy. Sure, Zimmerman had been acquitted, but without Reverends Sharpton and Jackson, he would never have seen the inside of a courtroom. I had listened to the case fairly closely, I think, and never once had I heard any real white bashing - just how blacks have been given the short end of the stick regarding justice.

As for past wrongs against blacks - that would include having been enslaved at all, regardless if their masters were kind or cruel. Following that, Jim Crow laws that had ensured a separate, inferior status for black Americans. While that is of course in the past, the legacy of inequality forced upon blacks still lives on to this day, with high unemployment and poor education in predominant black areas. Not to mention how blacks still get the short end of the stick in the criminal justice system. Case in point - blacks and whites use drugs in equal proportions, and yet it's blacks who are sent to prison in greater numbers for drug offenses, and their neighborhoods are occupied by the police as if they were a foreign army (name one white suburb where that is the case). I could go on and on - but I won't. :lol:

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Sir, the facts show that Saint Trayvon was beating the daylights out of George Zimmerman. Why is it you think whites have no right to defend themselves? Zimmerman should have been given a medal for what he did.

And how about the Duke affair? What's your excuse for that one?

How about Tawana Brawley?

I never said whites don't have a right to defend themselves - I just object to the police deciding they could determine guilt or innocence, and just letting Zimmerman go. In our system, only a jury in a court of law can conclude that. It wasn't up to the police to give Zimmerman a "get out of jail free" card.
And I'm afraid I have no idea what the "Duke affair" is.

Bill, the police are always the first line of response, but the district attorney has the final say in such matters. Let me give you an example: Early new year's morning on 2011, a drunk crashed through my barbed wire fence, four-wheeled it through three-quarters of a mile of my pasture, and when I saw him he was driving around my house. Let me tell you, it's enough to make you soil your drawers. So, I wound up taking a couple of shots with a twelve-gauge in the ground, and wound up holding him at gunpoint for 45 minutes until the sheriff could get out there. All the sheriff said to me was, "good job", and hauled him off to jail. That was the end of it. Should I have been taken to trial for attempted murder?

Of course not. You demonstrated self control and didn't kill him.
Zimmerman and Martin both had ended up in a terrible situation where both were fired up and afraid of the other. That was a recipe for a disaster.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 7:37 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Ann, all Zimmerman was doing was his civic duty in trying to keep his neighborhood safe; it had been experiencing a lot of problems with young blacks. At least Zimmerman was willing to get involved. As far as Saint Trayvon goes, he should've answered Zimmerman's questions and been on his way. I did. I wish I had a dollar for every time I was asked what I was doing someplace when I was younger. I only had one woman push things too far, and I wound up calling the police on her--I was working on a surveying job. So, even if Zimmerman were unreasonably harassing Trayvon, Trayvon should've called the police rather than let his fists do the talking. Trayvon got what he had coming to him.

Well, we've been down this path before and our paths diverge.
How this thread has traveled from Lewthwaite to slavery to Zimmerman is beyond my intellectual capacity. So here's a news update.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/white-widow-samantha-lewthwaite-smeared-face-in-blood-to-flee-nairobi-terror-mall-29619912.html
The attack seems to have been quite brutal. And it is claimed that she escaped by posing as a victim.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 8:08 pm

Zimmerman and Martin both had ended up in a terrible situation where both were fired up and afraid of the other. That was a recipe for a disaster.

As far as me demonstrating self-control, I also wasn't having my head bashed in. Otherwise, you bet I would've shot him. Should I have been financially ruined by having to defend myself in a murder trial?

I think what is really sad is that this whole sordid incident has made people not want to get involved, and not to interact with their neighbors. I could grant you that Zimmerman may have been officious. But at least he was willing to take the time to get involved to keep his neighborhood safe. Had Saint Trayvon been anything other than a thug, he would've been thanking Zimmerman instead of bashing his head in. Why would anybody want to volunteer their time for neighborhood watch when this could easily happen to them as well? So, the result is that lower-income neighborhoods in particular will be less safe.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:26 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I knew an older lady that had a developmental disorder,her family had her sterilized when she was young,it was not right.She was a sweet person and would have been a good mom.She and her husband were perfectly capable,they had their own house,did their own shopping,payed their bills,with no help from family.They could have raised a child.

This is a major point of debate here in Australia. We had a visit from a prominent pro-eugenicist by the name of Peter Singer who supports infanticide where the child is deemed intellectually disabled and (according to him) can;t make any relevant contribution to society nor a have (according to him) a significant quality of life.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:27 pm

double post

Last edited by cyberdad on 02 Oct 2013, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2013, 10:28 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:

As far as me demonstrating self-control, I also wasn't having my head bashed in. Otherwise, you bet I would've shot him. Should I have been financially ruined by having to defend myself in a murder trial?

I think what is really sad is that this whole sordid incident has made people not want to get involved, and not to interact with their neighbors. I could grant you that Zimmerman may have been officious. But at least he was willing to take the time to get involved to keep his neighborhood safe. Had Saint Trayvon been anything other than a thug, he would've been thanking Zimmerman instead of bashing his head in. Why would anybody want to volunteer their time for neighborhood watch when this could easily happen to them as well? So, the result is that lower-income neighborhoods in particular will be less safe.

Ann's correct, we have strayed from the point of this thread - and I admit my culpability in that, as the divergent discussions have been absolutely fascinating. :)
I will say this - Trayvon Martin lost his life, and his parents will mourn his passing for the rest of their lives. They would not want their son to be remembered only as a thug.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 6:24 am

cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
I knew an older lady that had a developmental disorder,her family had her sterilized when she was young,it was not right.She was a sweet person and would have been a good mom.She and her husband were perfectly capable,they had their own house,did their own shopping,payed their bills,with no help from family.They could have raised a child.

This is a major point of debate here in Australia. We had a visit from a prominent pro-eugenicist by the name of Peter Singer who supports infanticide where the child is deemed intellectually disabled and (according to him) can;t make any relevant contribution to society nor a have (according to him) a significant quality of life.

Is this the same Peter Singer who love brown eyed non-human mammalian animals?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 6:34 am

ruveyn wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Is this the same Peter Singer who love brown eyed non-human mammalian animals?

Same, he caused a s*** storm last time he came down under with parents of disabled kids.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 8:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Ann's correct, we have strayed from the point of this thread - and I admit my culpability in that, as the divergent discussions have been absolutely fascinating. :)
I will say this - Trayvon Martin lost his life, and his parents will mourn his passing for the rest of their lives. They would not want their son to be remembered only as a thug.

Bill, I too have enjoyed it. While Ann is right that what we are discussing is hardly germane to the topic, that's the way conversations drift.

As far as Saint Trayvon goes, the fact remains he WAS a thug, and his parents likely bear some of the blame for that situation. The entire reason Saint Trayvon was around Zimmerman was because he had been suspended from school for possession of cannabis, possessing burglary tools, and likely stolen property. Considering Saint Trayvon was a known drug users, it was also likely the case that those Skittles and canned iced tea were not innocent either. I present the following for your consideration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_drank

As far as Lewthwaite goes, since Britain isn't enlightened enough to have capital punishment, let's hope she goes down fighting and is killed in action so it will be guaranteed she will never hurt another innocent person again.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 8:21 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Bill, I too have enjoyed it. While Ann is right that what we are discussing is hardly germane to the topic, that's the way conversations drift.

As far as Saint Trayvon goes, the fact remains he WAS a thug, and his parents likely bear some of the blame for that situation. The entire reason Saint Trayvon was around Zimmerman was because he had been suspended from school for possession of cannabis, possessing burglary tools, and likely stolen property. Considering Saint Trayvon was a known drug users, it was also likely the case that those Skittles and canned iced tea were not innocent either. I present the following for your consideration:

As far as Lewthwaite goes, since British elites aren't enlightened enough to allow capital punishment, let's hope she goes down fighting and is killed in action so it will be guaranteed she will never hurt another innocent person again.

Last edited by Thelibrarian on 02 Oct 2013, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 8:23 am

Tequila wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Sir, if being opposed to prejudice is the new definition of racist, then you are correct.

Not you, him.

Tequila, I didn't read your remarks carefully enough. I apologize.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 9:52 am

Ann2011 wrote:
Okay, so how does a girl from Aylesbury, UK become a mastermind of a terrorist strike by the age of 29.

By converting to Islam and having her mind twisted into a pretzel by one of the vilest, most wicked religions ever conceived.

ruveyn

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

As far as Lewthwaite goes, since British elites aren't enlightened enough to allow capital punishment, let's hope she goes down fighting and is killed in action so it will be guaranteed she will never hurt another innocent person again.

Actually, Trayvon Martin has a brother who is a college student, upstanding citizen, and speaks with perfect English - he, too, was the product of the Martin's upbringing. If Trayvon was not perfect, I suspect that had much to do with the fact that his parents had divorced, and like many children in similar situations was traumatized by it.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 3:56 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:

Actually, Trayvon Martin has a brother who is a college student, upstanding citizen, and speaks with perfect English - he, too, was the product of the Martin's upbringing. If Trayvon was not perfect, I suspect that had much to do with the fact that his parents had divorced, and like many children in similar situations was traumatized by it.

You could be right. What I am sure about is that had he handled Zimmerman like an adult, instead of a thug, he would be alive today.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:01 pm

Thelibrarian wrote:
What I am sure about is that had he handled Zimmerman like an adult, instead of a thug, he would be alive today.

How do you know that? He hasn't presented a very stable character in his behaviour.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2013, 4:05 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
What I am sure about is that had he handled Zimmerman like an adult, instead of a thug, he would be alive today.

How do you know that? He hasn't presented a very stable character in his behaviour.

Ann, I have already explained my rationale for my position in earlier posts. But to reiterate briefly: When a neighborhood watchman, who is trying to keep your neighborhood safe, tries simply to ascertain what you are doing, you don't bash his head in for it.

As for Zimmerman, it hardly matters if he is a "stable character". All that matters is this case was his actions. People could say of many of us that we aren't "stable characters. But we too deserve to be judged by our actions rather than somebody else's opinion of our emotion or mental stability.