Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 3:05 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/27/world ... .html?_r=0

Weiss_Yohji
Toucan
Toucan

26 Oct 2013, 3:58 pm

"Give" them the right to drive? No! That right always existed; the Saudi savages a.k.a. theocrats infringed on that right.

Invade the country, kill the House of Saud down to the man, and turn it into an American colony, I say! No nation has the right to have a theocracy and they never will!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2013, 7:38 pm

Ahead of the protest, authorities offered mixed messages, perhaps cautious not to push too hard against the kingdom's religious establishment. Hard-line clerics say women driving will lead to "licentiousness." A prominent cleric also caused a stir when he said that medical studies show driving a car harms a woman's ovaries.

Okay, so why is there a problem with women driving? If a group of men are fearful of women driving, I guess they really must believe that women aren't very good drivers. Well, I can assure them that it is a mixed bag. I, a female, am not a bad driver at all. But I have known some terrible women drivers and male drivers, as well. I think that the biggest threat is from elderly drivers - their depth perception and reflexes are deteriorated.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 9:28 am

Weiss_Yohji wrote:
Invade the country, kill the House of Saud down to the man, and turn it into an American colony, I say! No nation has the right to have a theocracy and they never will!

The problem is that many members of the House of Saud are actually the liberals!

The country is dominated and infested by Wahhabi Islam. It cripples and paralyses that country. Fortunately, there are signs of progress happening there but it is going to be a very, very long and slow road for them.

Here's four excellent MEMRI videos from Arab TV on this subject.

From last Monday: on Emirati TV, Saudi women's rights activist Lamia Bukhari defies an Islamic cleric over women driving:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuTIbEdScfc[/youtube]

From earlier this month on Saudi TV: Riyadh woman wearing a niqāb drives a car in support of an online campaign to support women being able to drive:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tjT0tOb8Dk[/youtube]

From last month, also from Saudi TV: Saudi cleric Saleh bin Saad al-Lohaidan says that women driving causes damage to their ovaries:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHjm1CPeenw[/youtube]

And from April 2013 and again from Saudi TV: An interview with the Saudi Justice Minister Muhammad Al-Issa, who says that it's not technically illegal for women to drive in the Kingdom, but that it depends on the will of society:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzxazlzM22o[/youtube]

I'm delighted that Saudi Muslimahs are making their voices heard. Best of luck.

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 2:45 pm

Weiss_Yohji wrote:
"Give" them the right to drive? No! That right always existed; the Saudi savages a.k.a. theocrats infringed on that right.

Yes, let's be hypocrites. Yes, the US has the right to just colonise any nation and invade other places as they wish, even when domestically the USA is bankrupt and a mess.

And you know what, Saudi Arabia is one of the main allies of the US in the Middle East. Already for decades politicians turned a blind eye on human rights in the Saudi kingdom, as long as cheap oil was purchased there. Instead much more liberal countries like Iraq and Libya were invaded because of supposed mass destructions weapons (still no sign they ever existed) and because Khaddafi did not want to share oil profits with other nations.

Let's all be hypocrites, Europe too because we're just as bad. Saudi is an ally in American and European eyes. We get our oil, the western expats live in luxury in sealed off compounds where they can behave as if they're at home,, ... and well, those human rights, it ain't that bad in the eyes of the politicians. Oil makes vision blurred of course. Saudi Arabia is a worse place than North Korea, but still the US and most of the European Union consider it to be an ally. Human rights, where, what? It is embarrassing that this nation is considered a friend by American and European politicians.

Women by the way have been asking to drive for years but in theory (de jure) they even need permission to leave the house ; permission to be given by a male relative only. Saudi Arabia is the worst possible place on earth when it comes to human rights. I'd be crying out of joy to reside in North Korea if I could only choose between NK and Saudi. North Korea looks modern compared to the backwards politics of Saudi Arabia. By that I don't defend North Korea, I however say Saudi is even worse but they --due to oil-- are considered "friends of the West". Our politicians (both European and US) are hypocrites to even diplomatically recognise this country.

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 9:14 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZMbTFNp4wI[/youtube]

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2013, 10:47 pm

^ That video just made my day! :lol:

I greatly admire activists from countries fighting for basic rights that we in other parts of the world take for granted.

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2013, 6:52 am

crackedpleasures wrote:
Weiss_Yohji wrote:

Yes, let's be hypocrites. Yes, the US has the right to just colonise any nation and invade other places as they wish, even when domestically the USA is bankrupt and a mess.

And you know what, Saudi Arabia is one of the main allies of the US in the Middle East. Already for decades politicians turned a blind eye on human rights in the Saudi kingdom, as long as cheap oil was purchased there. Instead much more liberal countries like Iraq and Libya were invaded because of supposed mass destructions weapons (still no sign they ever existed) and because Khaddafi did not want to share oil profits with other nations.

Let's all be hypocrites, Europe too because we're just as bad. Saudi is an ally in American and European eyes. We get our oil, the western expats live in luxury in sealed off compounds where they can behave as if they're at home,, ... and well, those human rights, it ain't that bad in the eyes of the politicians. Oil makes vision blurred of course. Saudi Arabia is a worse place than North Korea, but still the US and most of the European Union consider it to be an ally. Human rights, where, what? It is embarrassing that this nation is considered a friend by American and European politicians.

I'm as anti-Islam and pro-West as they come.

Do you know what? I want to find a solution so that we can stop buying Saudi oil as soon as possible. Wahhabi Islam is only a problem to us in the West because of the pull that the Gulf states have.

If those regimes weren't propped up by oil money, they'd have absolutely nothing. They would either change or die.