Fish Oil in Pregnancy Benefits Babies’ Brains

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2007, 8:03 am

By Jeremy Appleton, ND, CNS

Healthnotes Newswire (February 1, 2007)—Pregnant women who took fish oil supplements high in the fatty acid DHA had children with greater hand–eye coordination, according to a new study in which 98 women started taking fish oil supplements 20 weeks into their pregnancies and continued until delivery.

Fish Oil in Pregnancy Benefits Babies’ Brains

- Emerson

JBM
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2007, 12:15 pm

Cod Liver Oil is great, I take it periodically

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 Feb 2007, 12:25 pm

Just IM my sister the link. She is due in June to have another boy. She has refused to
take the fish oil I have been trying to get the rest of her family to take.

Revenant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 12:32 pm

Yes, fish oil works wonders. It conains GLA & DHA and much omega 3 fatty acids. It is good for the brain function, but also sexual functions like seminal production. Therefore, men should take it if they wish their wives to become pregnant.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 6:49 pm

I buy organic flax (linseed) in bulk for my n-3 fatty-acid needs - daily fish eating raises mercury levels in the body + there is a serious over-harvesting which threatens many species of fish.

Last edited by psych on 06 Feb 2007, 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 6:56 pm

Eh, what? ^
||

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

Last edited by cruimh_shionnachain on 06 Feb 2007, 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 6:58 pm

^ i hope you ran that s**t through an anonymising proxy or a public console. Last guy who tried that here got his ISP account terminated and blacklisted.

say hi to real life for me.

bye! :)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2007, 7:33 pm

psych wrote:
I buy organic flax (linseed) in bulk for my n-3 fatty-acid needs - daily fish eating raises mercury levels in the body + there is a serious over-harvesting which threatens many species of fish.

Vaccume distilling seems to remove most the mercury.

My gelcaps (from walmart) : Anchovy, Mackeral, Sardine

Sappho
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2007, 3:57 pm

Some studies claim that Omega 3s prevent post partum depression as well. The idea of taking fish oil during pregnancy makes me feel queasy even now, though. I doubt I could've kept them down during my pregnancies. Flaxseed caps work for me, and they have an added benefit for pregnant women of preventing constipation and softening stool--very important in the last few weeks of pregnancy, or if you're on iron pills, which have the opposite effect.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 4:35 pm

Sappho wrote:
Some studies claim that Omega 3s prevent post partum depression as well. The idea of taking fish oil during pregnancy makes me feel queasy even now, though. I doubt I could've kept them down during my pregnancies. Flaxseed caps work for me, and they have an added benefit for pregnant women of preventing constipation and softening stool--very important in the last few weeks of pregnancy, or if you're on iron pills, which have the opposite effect.

I notice my big bottle setting near my electric heater started smelling a bit fishy. From
now on I'm storing them in the frig.

I was sure I would not beable to stand fish oil or fishy burps from it. But I really never
had a problem.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 5:16 pm

This article made lots of sense as the DHA would help immensely in the formation and development of the brain, eyes and nervous system in foetal development. I have always thought that anything to do with fish in any way was good.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2007, 6:10 pm

Fiz wrote:
This article made lots of sense as the DHA would help immensely in the formation and development of the brain, eyes and nervous system in foetal development. I have always thought that anything to do with fish in any way was good.

everything except the taste and smell and the texture :D

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:05 pm

I take this every day. I really recommend anyone who has a history of heart disease in their family background to take it. The brain health side of it is good too.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2007, 5:26 pm

xon wrote:
I take this every day. I really recommend anyone who has a history of heart disease in their family background to take it. The brain health side of it is good too.

My Grand father died of a stroke and my fathers had heart attacks and bypass surgery. So I'm sold on it!