Page 7 of 8 [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2014, 11:06 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Cyberdad-

I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong. I just Googled Black Sea German collaboration with the Nazis, and sure enough, I found there had indeed been a certain degree of their remaining population who had. These monsters had gleefully worked for the SS murdering Jews and others. But it should also be remembered that many other Black Sea Germans had themselves been the victims of the Nazis, mostly for trying to shield their Jewish and Russian neighbors and relatives from the Nazis. I recall my Dad telling me how a possible relative in the Black Sea region had been executed by the SS. So in other words, those Russian Germans who were decent human beings were getting it up the ass from both the Soviets and the Nazis. :(

I think we can establish that humans are all capable of atrocities. The red army did some pretty horrible things to German civilians as well. The reason I singled out the Germans is that Stalin's purges were largely motivated by politics rather than ethnicity. Where ethnic groups were targeted by the communists it was because they perceived surging regional nationalism threatened the fabric of the Soviet state rather than their race.

In stark contrast the German Nazis (and their collaborators) exterminated millions of people on the basis of their ethnicity alone. That's pretty horrible to know that you were on a death list because of your background. The German obsession with the purity of their race is not unique. The upper classes in America and England (and even here in Australia) are obsessed with their lineage and family tree. It's this type of thinking that gave rise to eugenics and the forced sterilization of autistic people in the early 20th century.

Many thousands of disabled folks (Germans) who could not help their disability were either sterilised or gassed to death because the Nazis percieved them to be lives not worth living. If my autistic daughter as born in communist Russia she could at least been allowed to live, if she was born in German in the 1930s or 1940s then I'm not so sure.

My little girl has PDDS, and I think she also would have been "put to sleep." Plus, while my Grandmother was a Prussian Lutheran, her maiden name was obviously of Jewish origin - that's two strikes.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
My little girl has PDDS, and I think she also would have been "put to sleep." Plus, while my Grandmother was a Prussian Lutheran, her maiden name was obviously of Jewish origin - that's two strikes.

Kraichgauer,

The modern Germans have built a country that is the envy of most of the world. Indeed our own government often cites the German work ethic and their collective support for their own industries and businesses (Germans are loyal to German made cars, food and other products).

The Russians make shoddy products, have poor infrastructure, corruption and treat minorities (gays, women, disabled and ethnics) poorly - that's three strikes for the Ruskis...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Kraichgauer,

The modern Germans have built a country that is the envy of most of the world. Indeed our own government often cites the German work ethic and their collective support for their own industries and businesses (Germans are loyal to German made cars, food and other products).

The Russians make shoddy products, have poor infrastructure, corruption and treat minorities (gays, women, disabled and ethnics) poorly - that's three strikes for the Ruskis...

Just to let you know, while I admit to an interest in German history as that's primarily my ethnic background, and perhaps find myself romanticizing it from time to time, I am first and foremost an American.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:05 am

EVERY country has some sort of bloodshed in it's past. Why is it relevant to the Olympics?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:27 am

Alycat wrote:
EVERY country has some sort of bloodshed in it's past. Why is it relevant to the Olympics?

Well, currently in Russia, gays are becoming the target of violence and hate with the blessing and encouragement of the Putin government.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:52 am

iBlockhead wrote:
Oh Yeah!

Apparently he got stuck in an elevator today:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/Johnny-Quinn-Breaks-Through-Yet-Another-Door-244724931.html

Why would you pry open elevator doors if you are stuck in one?

More news about the dangers of Russian elevators
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/0 ... ed-in-lift

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
iBlockhead wrote:
Oh Yeah!

Apparently he got stuck in an elevator today:

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/Johnny-Quinn-Breaks-Through-Yet-Another-Door-244724931.html

Why would you pry open elevator doors if you are stuck in one?

More news about the dangers of Russian elevators
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/0 ... ed-in-lift

My God... I don't know what to say about that, other than, My God!

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 8:49 am

cyberdad wrote:
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2014/02/13/10/59/mother-beheaded-after-getting-trapped-in-lift

That is horrific.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 9:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

Well, currently in Russia, gays are becoming the target of violence and hate with the blessing and encouragement of the Putin government.
I was referring to the comments on Stalin etc, but I don't think I explained well enough, so sorry.
As for the gay thing - look at how Johnny Weir was treated at the Canadian Olympics. Nobody seemed to care about that.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:16 pm

Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

I was referring to the comments on Stalin etc, but I don't think I explained well enough, so sorry.
As for the gay thing - look at how Johnny Weir was treated at the Canadian Olympics. Nobody seemed to care about that.

I'm afraid I'm unfamiliar with how Johnny Weir had been treated in Canada.
And I concede I don't even know who Johnny Weir is.

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

He is a (retired) gay figure skater. He was routinely underscored etc, which many believe was due to judges' anti-gay feelings.
At the Canadian Olympics commentators made many derogatory comments about him such as how people would think that their sons might turn out like him and that he set a bad example, and that he should be made to take a gender test.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2014, 1:00 pm

Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

He is a (retired) gay figure skater. He was routinely underscored etc, which many believe was due to judges' anti-gay feelings.
At the Canadian Olympics commentators made many derogatory comments about him such as how people would think that their sons might turn out like him and that he set a bad example, and that he should be made to take a gender test.

Now that is just disgusting. But as tastefulness as that was, the violence against gays in Russia, spurred on by the Putin government policy, has proven to be much, much worse.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 4:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

Now that is just disgusting. But as tastefulness as that was, the violence against gays in Russia, spurred on by the Putin government policy, has proven to be much, much worse.

Putin has openly asked gay Olympic athletes and visitors in Sochi to refrain from going near children.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... s-children

The fellow is completely fanatic...not to mention uninformed...

Alycat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 4:49 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

My point is that it isn't just Russia that has an anti-gay attitude. People seem to accept it as long as it's not physically violent. That is the only difference.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 11:44 am

^^^
I like to hope that western countries are getting past that sort of passive approval of homophobia.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2014, 11:48 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Alycat wrote:

Putin has openly asked gay Olympic athletes and visitors in Sochi to refrain from going near children.
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/j ... s-children

The fellow is completely fanatic...not to mention uninformed...

There are still some people in the United States who associate pedophilia with homosexuality. Needless to say, most gays as well as most straights are only interested in other adults.