Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 9:57 am

(CLICK)

Quote:
Up to 40 kids at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City picked up their lunches Tuesday, then watched as the meals were taken and thrown away because of outstanding balances on their accounts — a move that shocked and angered parents.

"It was pretty traumatic and humiliating," said Erica Lukes, whose 11-year-old daughter had her cafeteria lunch taken from her as she stood in line Tuesday at Uintah Elementary School, 1571 E. 1300 South.

Lukes said as far as she knew, she was all paid up. "I think it’s despicable," she said. "These are young children that shouldn’t be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up."

Jason Olsen, a Salt Lake City District spokesman, said the district’s child-nutrition department became aware that Uintah had a large number of students who owed money for lunches.

As a result, the child-nutrition manager visited the school and decided to withhold lunches to deal with the issue, he said.

But cafeteria workers weren’t able to see which children owed money until they had already received lunches, Olsen explained.

Way to go Morons... er... Mormons. :roll:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 10:28 am

That's just sick not only is it cruel to the kids....but what a despicable waste of food.

Lol apparently the school took down their facebook page because people kept b*tching them out...there is now a page about the school with people continuing to b*** but posting there would not be as satisfying as posting on the page they took down.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 11:10 am

As if the kids knew their balance.Maybe these parents were having a hard time financially and that's why the bills were not payed,those kids may have really needed the meals.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 11:41 am

GoonSquad wrote:
(CLICK)
Quote:
Up to 40 kids at Uintah Elementary in Salt Lake City picked up their lunches Tuesday, then watched as the meals were taken and thrown away because of outstanding balances on their accounts — a move that shocked and angered parents.

"It was pretty traumatic and humiliating," said Erica Lukes, whose 11-year-old daughter had her cafeteria lunch taken from her as she stood in line Tuesday at Uintah Elementary School, 1571 E. 1300 South.

Lukes said as far as she knew, she was all paid up. "I think it’s despicable," she said. "These are young children that shouldn’t be punished or humiliated for something the parents obviously need to clear up."

Jason Olsen, a Salt Lake City District spokesman, said the district’s child-nutrition department became aware that Uintah had a large number of students who owed money for lunches.

As a result, the child-nutrition manager visited the school and decided to withhold lunches to deal with the issue, he said.

But cafeteria workers weren’t able to see which children owed money until they had already received lunches, Olsen explained.

I must have missed where it said this decision was made by a Mormon.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 11:52 am

Misslizard wrote:
As if the kids knew their balance.Maybe these parents were having a hard time financially and that's why the bills were not payed,those kids may have really needed the meals.

Perhaps, though from my understanding there is a good chance the school didn't properly communicate to the parents when balances needed to be paid or something to that effect...either way its nothing the kids did 'wrong' so they shouldn't be punished.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 11:53 am

Raptor wrote:
GoonSquad wrote:
(CLICK)
Quote:

I must have missed where it said this decision was made by a Mormon.

There is a good chance it was, being Utah is heavily populated by mormons.....but its true that doesn't mean they were for sure mormon.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 11:55 am

/\
Utah is about 63% Mormon. That means there's a significant 37% chance that it wasn't a Mormon.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:00 pm

I hated the school lunches and would've rejoiced if someone tossed mine.I had a teacher force me to eat a sandwich once.Most of my lunch was given to whoever could eat the swill.I think some of those kids were really hungry,their eyes would light up when you gave them the dry nasty cornbread or what they said was a Salisbury steak.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:09 pm

I ate my last school lunch in the 6th grade and even up to then I didn't eat most of that s**t that was on the tray.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm

Back when I was a kid, we had a thing called an emergency lunch and it was just an apple and a sandwich. When I was real little, it was a salad and a sandwich. Then in high school, my school came with a new policy that towards the end of the year if you are a negative balance, you don't gt to eat. They never gave us our lunch and then snatch it from our hands. Whatever happened to informing the child about them needing more lunch money or calling their parents?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm

Goes to show you how when it comes down between money and caring for children for right wing business (and by their actions, they were most assuredly right wing), money wins out every time.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Goes to show you how when it comes down between money and caring for children for right wing business (and by their actions, they were most assuredly right wing), money wins out every time.

:roll:
Thank you for your attempt at turning this into a flame war.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 2:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Pot, meet Kettle. :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 2:31 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Well, explain to me how I'm wrong.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 2:42 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You're the one that jumped in there and blamed right wing businesses.
Explain how you're right.
Besides, it was the school, not any evil right wing business that confiscated the lunches.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2014, 3:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

You're the one that jumped in there and blamed right wing businesses.
Explain how you're right.
Besides, it was the school, not any evil right wing business that confiscated the lunches.

As I understood it, the company found that they weren't getting paid for providing those lunches. But I agree - the school deserves to be taken to task for heir heartlessness, too.
Red states (shakes head derisively).