Page 8 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 10:26 am

They probably took it to a chop shop.

Its being sold as spare parts as we speak.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 12:14 pm

Which reminds me of that airplane that went down in a Florida swamp and was never found. I always thought those were rather shallow, but that one swallowed a plane whole.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 12:19 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Which reminds me of that airplane that went down in a Florida swamp and was never found. I always thought those were rather shallow, but that one swallowed a plane whole.

We wouldn't be so lucky as to have had that disappearing Florida swamp plane been carrying that Justin Bipper caricature of a human being?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 2:26 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:

Was that a little private plane, or was it a big airliner?

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2014, 3:55 pm

Here we don't mind where the plane is as long as it's not on the way to our neighborhood (though it most probably is).

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2014, 4:01 pm

The whole world is listening for pings, but we know the plane was hijacked by some super villain.
Silly world ! !!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/20/world/asi ... le_sidebar

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 12:18 am

So far three satellites owned by the US, France and China have seen the same 22-25m long object floating around in the south Indian ocean. Much curiosity over what this UFO (unidentified floating object) is?

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 9:37 am

Now they're saying it's wreckage, but if thats true, why no pings from the black box ??

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missin ... ays-n60221

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 12:00 pm

Probably because the CVR and FDR have already sunk.

The ping range of the CVR and FDR is probably only about 6,000 m, if they are already on the bottom, and the floating wreckage has been drifting for 2 weeks, it should be no surprise that there's no pinging from the recorders.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 1:36 pm

This bloke says that the plane had four to six transponders that would have gone off if the plane went into the sea, and he points out that no submarines reported hearing the impact of such a large aircraft hitting the ocean at high speed.

http://sofrep.com/34084/alright-goodnig ... ht-mh-370/

interesting article outside the mainstream of journalists ...

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2014, 4:07 pm

While some of his facts are accurate, his analysis is woefully inadequate.

Yes, cabin O2 systems would deploy upon depressurization. But they provide approximately 12 minutes of oxygen. Crew bottles provide more, but certainly not enough to get the crew through an armoured cockpit door. If one pilot waited until his colleague was in the lav, locked the cockpit, set cabin pressure to manual, the passengers would be dead in less than 15 minutes, and the remaining crew not a great deal longer--meanwhile, if the pilot in the cockpit didn't put on his own oxygen, then everything is a fait accompli.

Yes, there are transponders that will go off in the event of a rapid deceleration. But you have to be within range of those transponders in order to know that they have gone off. Given the presumed location of the impact, it is not in the least surprising that no one heard them.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 12:54 am

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Now they're saying it's wreckage, but if thats true, why no pings from the black box ??

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missin ... ays-n60221

Doesn't the back box have to be recovered before a certain time? it does beggar the question how something that sends a signal continuously could not be tracked? they are talking about the motive of the pilot again, perhaps another item switched off?

The pilot seems to have just kept flying in the wrong direction...? the questions is why?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 3:05 am

visagrunt wrote:
Probably because the CVR and FDR have already sunk.

The ping range of the CVR and FDR is probably only about 6,000 m, if they are already on the bottom, and the floating wreckage has been drifting for 2 weeks, it should be no surprise that there's no pinging from the recorders.

confirmed on the news this morning that the black box signal range is 2000 metres and that it only lasts for 30 days.

I am trying to think of an analogy more severe than a needle in a haystack but can't. Maybe a needle in a field of haystacks would do here.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 11:21 am

Here's an article about black boxes. Several commentators have said the problem right now is that most people have no concept of just how vast that area is.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... -black-box

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 11:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
let this be an impetus for airlines to step up to the plate and institute universal satellite telemetry to let authorities know in real time what is going on in the airplanes.

Good idea! But the additional expense will be born by passengers and by increased rates for shipping by air freight.

ruveyn

emtyeye
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2014, 7:54 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
This bloke says that the plane had four to six transponders that would have gone off if the plane went into the sea, and he points out that no submarines reported hearing the impact of such a large aircraft hitting the ocean at high speed.

http://sofrep.com/34084/alright-goodnig ... ht-mh-370/

interesting article outside the mainstream of journalists ...

Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it. It really had a lot of info not available in other articles I've seen. My only problem with the author's personal theory at the end is if this was so, why wouldn't the pilot have made his demands known to the world at large and not just to the Malaysian government? He already knew they are not trustworthy, to say the least. If he really wanted to do damage, it seems like he would make the demand in a way that was audible to the world somehow.

A question I have for you who are following this story as am I, is, Is it really possible for a jet to go off all satellite detection? Isn't the world pretty much under a blanket of complete surveillance by satellite? And if it is, maybe this was somehow done to contradict what is now coming to light about how complete this surveillance really is, as is shown my Snowden, etc.

Just a thought.