Page 4 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2014, 9:32 pm

[img][800:613]http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/P1-BP443B_MALAY_G_20140313185709.jpg[/img]

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 4:56 am

^ It could be in Australia lol

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 11:25 am

Now if only someone would point out the places with a runway long enough to land a 777 within that circle.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 12:15 pm

People seem to be missing a rather more obvious reason that the transponder was off: deliberate action on the part of one or both of the pilots.

Despite what the Sinaporeans and Egyptians claim, there are at least three cases of suicide by pilot--MI185, MS990 and TM470.

And if this was due to a deliberate action on the part of a pilot, then it is entirely likely that he would have pulled the circuit breakers on the CVR and the FDR, and the wreckage could be just about anywhere in the Indian Ocean.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 1:59 pm

The Iranians hijacked it and will fill it with a nuke and hit NYC.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 2:39 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Now if only someone would point out the places with a runway long enough to land a 777 within that circle.

More than one third of the world's population lives within that circle!

It emcompasses most of both India, and China, and all of Bangladesh,, and most of Indonesia ( all population giants).

Probably about one third of the world's commercial airport runways are also within that circle. Alot of places. But obviously the plane hasnt landed in any of them, or we would have heard about it.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 2:55 pm

visagrunt wrote:
People seem to be missing a rather more obvious reason that the transponder was off: deliberate action on the part of one or both of the pilots.

Despite what the Sinaporeans and Egyptians claim, there are at least three cases of suicide by pilot--MI185, MS990 and TM470.

And if this was due to a deliberate action on the part of a pilot, then it is entirely likely that he would have pulled the circuit breakers on the CVR and the FDR, and the wreckage could be just about anywhere in the Indian Ocean.

How come after 9/11 it's still possible to shut down the transporder?

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 3:10 pm

I am concerned now that this plane has been stolen and is being or has been, turned into a giant nuclear weapon, dirty bomb, weapon of mass chaos.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 4:21 pm

Tollorin wrote:
How come after 9/11 it's still possible to shut down the transporder?

Very good question! It makes more sense that it broadcasts at all time and cannot be turned off by anyone.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 5:19 pm

The transponder is accessible to the pilot/co-pilot so that they can change it to the code of the day assigned to their aircraft for that flight. That changes every time the plane flies. The pilot/co-pilot can also change it to one of three "emergency codes" 7500 for hijack, 7600 for radio communications disabled, 7700 for other emergency. The ability to turn it off will presumably be disabled now at least while airborne.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:37 pm

Could it have been an elaborate suicide by the pilot ??

Was it hijacked to be filled with some terrorist device???

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/15/world ... w-bna&_r=0

(Last paragraph of article)
The data, the official said, “leads them to believe that it either ran out of fuel or crashed right before it ran out of fuel.
It would take a long runway to land a plane of that size, the official said. Although the radius that the plane could have flown extends into South Asia, the official added, “the idea it could cross into Indian airspace and not get picked up made no sense.”

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 6:49 pm

I wonder if Russia somehow has something to do with this. Putin has been very calculating - the Olympics and then annexing the Crimea, now this ridiculous vote. Obviously Russia doesn't need to steal planes, but they could be dealing with people who do. The cold war is back on?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2014, 8:57 pm

Looks like hijacking.

Its tempting to think that it was like Flight 93 over Pennsylvania on 9-11. The passengers rising up and overpowering the hijackers and causing the plane to ditch before it could be used as a suicide weapon against a target. The Polonius Towers in Kuala Lampur- twin skyscrapers even taller than the original WTC twin towers would be tempting targets for a replay of 9-11. Though I am not sure who would have the kind of grevience against Malaysia to attack that country that way.

The Flight 93 passengers were inspired to do that because they were in contact with friends on the ground via cell phones, and knew about the other 9-11 events.

Curiously we havent heard anything about the passengers on this plane making cell calls even though the plane was supposedly in the air for five hours after it abruptly changed course.

"Stealing" a 777 would be difficult without your own private 10,000 foot runway hidden in Shangri Lai.

Its a mystery.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 4:57 am

The latest report to come from Malaysia in the last few hours claims that flight MH 370 was not only hijacked but also flown to somewhere north/east of Thailand around central Asia for at least 7 hours and was likely landed safe in a military airport of a country that is sympathetic to islamic radicals? Afghanistan?

Anyway the Malaysians have irresponsibly claimed the passengers and crew are likely still alive as phones are still active despite not being answered and are being held hostage. Needless to say this latest rambling from the Malaysians is sending relatives of the missing passengers into a tormented frenzy. They have no idea what is going on?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 8:33 am

Hate to base wild speculation on two unconfirmed facts. But if both of those bits are true (seven hours as the time span of the flight, and the cell phone thing) then its a game changer.

If the cell phones all work then the plane could not be on the bottom of the ocean (where it would most likely be if it crashed).

And if it was in the air not five, but all of seven, hours than the radius on the circle of the above map would be even wider ( about 4000 miles wide).

North WEST of Thailand is probably what they meant. Four thousand mile northwest of Malaysia via Thailand could put it in one of the several Islamic former Soviet republics (now seperate countries).

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2014, 11:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Hate to base wild speculation on two unconfirmed facts. But if both of those bits are true (seven hours as the time span of the flight, and the cell phone thing) then its a game changer.

If the cell phones all work then the plane could not be on the bottom of the ocean (where it would most likely be if it crashed).
It's not crashed as the 'black box' has not been detected sending out a beacon.

And if it was in the air not five, but all of seven, hours than the radius on the circle of the above map would be even wider ( about 4000 miles wide).

North WEST of Thailand is probably what they meant. Four thousand mile northwest of Malaysia via Thailand could put it in one of the several Islamic former Soviet republics (now seperate countries).

One of several Islamic Soviet Republics with a 1000 foot runway?