Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

I think its a good thing
it also legalizes warning shots if you are not already a criminal

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 4:23 pm

Anytime one engages in thuggery, one should face the risk of imminent death.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

I understand the rationale, but I think its bad. Someone could pick a fight knowing that they are armed and then say that they "felt threatened", and shoot.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 4:42 pm

staremaster wrote:
I understand the rationale, but I think its bad. Someone could pick a fight knowing that they are armed and then say that they "felt threatened", and shoot.

if their proven innocent then they are innocent if your innocent then why do you get a black mark on all your records?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 8:14 pm

staremaster wrote:

And someone may but the law is intended to benefit the would-be victim which it appears that it will. When legislation was being proposed for "shall issue" carry permits in each of the 50 states the naysayers cried that the streets would run red with blood. Well, most of those 50 states now have it and the streets are no bloodier than before. Same for when the "assault weapons" ban sunsetted in 2004.

The title of the article "New FL law lets the next George Zimmerman clear his name after beating murder rap" is obviously slanted against the new law.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 7:01 am

http://mynews13.com/content/news/cfnews ... _warn.html
Rick Scott just signed it into law.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 12:30 am

love is the only weapon human beings need, we just have not yet evolved enough to accept it

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 8:31 am

Maybe,but try loving a rabid skunk.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 2:53 pm

Willard wrote:
thuggery

Cool dogwhistle.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm

/\ Which dog was supposed to hear that whistle and why?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 7:32 pm

Raptor wrote:

Perhaps he's irony impaired, as he is using coded language to call someone racist without coming out and saying it...

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 9:16 pm

Dox47 wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Perhaps he's irony impaired, as he is using coded language to call someone racist without coming out and saying it...

I had to think about it for a while but eventually I came to that conclusion. It's very weak on the part of TheGoggles. A dog whistle should be better than that. It should instantly stir resentment in the intended targets (while technically steering clear of a Terms of Use violation) and bring amusement to those amused by dog whistling of any kind. As a practitioner of dog whistling and a seasoned *connoisseur of trolling, I would have instantly recognised it as a dog whistle if it had been a good example of one. TheGoggles needs to brush up.

*Connoisseur of, but not to be confused with practicing trolling.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 11:14 pm

^

Yeah, trying to implicate 'thug' and it's variations as racist terms is a bit of a stretch, which doesn't stop some people from trying, as IIRC this is not the first attempt here on WP.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2014, 11:21 pm

/\ Thug and/or thuggery usually makes me think of the mafia or some law enforcement types first.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2014, 12:08 am

staremaster wrote:

Perhaps you should read what the law is about. What you describe can be done now under current law.

What the bill is about is to enable a person to threaten to shoot or to fire a warning shot that doesn't harm someone in hopes of scaring off the attacker.

Currently, if you pull out your firearm, you have to shoot the attacker. If the attacker sees the firearm and runs away before you can shoot, then you have just committed a crime because you are not allowed to brandish the firearm. And if you have the chance to shoot a warning shot, then you must not have been in much danger.