AS In The News Again, and NOT In a Good Way :(

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2014, 11:42 pm

Seems to me they are highlighting the AS ,ADHD , and BiPolar. This kind of thing can be found in any segment of society. Seems like the MSM likes to associate these conditions with violent behaviour. I get the feeling there is more behind this story than what is being reported. Sad story nonetheless.... :(

Man With AS Rapes 5 year old

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Mar 2014, 12:30 am

I don't think this means anything, this is going to happen - there will be people with AS that commit crimes, like people of all demographics. He's deaf too, does this mean his deafness had something to do with it, would anyone logically conclude that? Of course not.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 12:34 am

theyre also highlighting hearing impairment,kidney failiure and a physical impairment of some type,they havent focussed on the AS/ADHD/bipolar anymore than those.
it doesnt look like theyre demonising people with aspergers, ADHD,bipolar,deafness,kidney failiure or physical impairment, it sounds like most of these have truly had an impact on his impulsive socialy inapropriate behavior and they are actualy in favour of sending him to a secure center to get theraputic help rather than saying,hey lets shove him in a prison with hardened criminals;

Quote:
“The perfect scenario would be to have a place that’s secure where a person could get the medical attention they need, but they would be confined to the facility.”

in this country;the UK,they call them forensic hospitals,and it sounds like a placement in one woud be ideal for him.

although am against the belief from the lieutenant that he doesnt understand what he is doing,his life experiences, behavioral management and personality and some of his disabilities likely impact on his behavior making him act in ways he shoudnt,but that doesnt mean he lacks mental capacity to know right from wrong unless he is going through an acute bipolar phase as AS and ADHD are not 'low functioning' conditions,it just means he understands things differently, however he woud be far better off in a forensic unit than a prison as its his best chance at rehabilitation.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 12:45 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
although am against the belief from the lieutenant that he doesnt understand what he is doing,his life experiences, behavioral management and personality and some of his disabilities likely impact on his behavior making him act in ways he shoudnt,but that doesnt mean he lacks mental capacity to know right from wrong unless he is going through an acute bipolar phase as AS and ADHD are not 'low functioning' conditions,it just means he understands things differently, however he woud be far better off in a forensic unit than a prison as its his best chance at rehabilitation.

I agree. None of his conditions precludes one from understanding right from wrong. As far as putting him into an institution to help him I also agree. But living here in the US and specifically in this area my money is on putting him into prison. I could be and hope that I am wrong, however like the one comment that was on the article stated just lock him up! That seems to be the mindset of the US. Remember we are probably only one of a small handful of countries that still practice the death penalty. Some states still do so to those that have little to no capacity to understand their actions despite the supreme court rulings here.... :?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2014, 10:54 am

It's a shame there wasn't an older adult in scouts or a teacher who could tell him, Look, you can't just do something to someone, you have to ask. And you need to go in stages. And you can't do anything at all with kids. You have got to understand that.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2014, 1:11 pm

Acedia wrote:
I don't think this means anything, this is going to happen - there will be people with AS that commit crimes, like people of all demographics. He's deaf too, does this mean his deafness had something to do with it, would anyone logically conclude that? Of course not.

Society is rarely logical. Dismissing this problem will only lead to yet more problems, it has to be addressed and stopped. We're being painted as monsters by the media, lately moreso than anyone else.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 12:45 am

I seriously hope this doesn't reflect badly on the rest of us. Unfortunately, people look at this guy (if he is in fact guilty) and some will think he's representative of everyone with Asperger's. The same people who point at such sex offenders with Asperger's don't consider the fact how many more sex offenders don't have Asperger's.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2014, 12:24 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I seriously hope this doesn't reflect badly on the rest of us. Unfortunately, people look at this guy (if he is in fact guilty) and some will think he's representative of everyone with Asperger's. The same people who point at such sex offenders with Asperger's don't consider the fact how many more sex offenders don't have Asperger's.

Sadly in the case of sex crimes, an accusation is all people need in order to start pointing fingers and screaming "monster", and anyone even remotely connected to a convicted sex criminal tends to catch the finger pointing by the public, even if they have nothing to do with it. It's pretty sad really, but it's society, the same society that claims to be evolved, logical, and compassionate.