Ft Hood shooter;prepare for the backlash/media onslaught...

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Apr 2014, 5:12 pm

Another mass shooting by another Neuro-Typical individual,lets hope NTs are witch hunted and viewed with suspicion,cold shouldered etc by normal Autistics.
Before any Uncle Toms mention PTSD- I have it and a large percentage of the population have it,so don`t pretend that magically makes him non-NT.....

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

From what I've read it's very unlikely he had PTSD - he was trying to make that claim, but he'd only served four months and that not in combat, so there wasn't much traumatic stress for him to have been exposed to. He also claimed to have a Traumatic Brain Injury, but some who knew him have indicated that may have been self-inflicted to get out of service.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:00 pm

To make this an ASD vs NT issue is sickening. There's no way this kind of thing just happens out of the blue. People are pushed. People with depression or PTSD are treated like trash in the muscle-brained culture that is the US military. Don't believe what the higher ups say. I really doubt it's just coincidence that this is the second shooting on the exact same base. Don't treat people like trash and this kind of thing happens far less.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 8:18 pm

marshall wrote:
To make this an ASD vs NT issue is sickening. There's no way this kind of thing just happens out of the blue. People are pushed. People with depression or PTSD are treated like trash in the muscle-brained culture that is the US military. Don't believe what the higher ups say. I really doubt it's just coincidence that this is the second shooting on the exact same base. Don't treat people like trash and this kind of thing happens far less.

That is kind of what I was thinking when I read this thread.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

03 Apr 2014, 11:24 pm

Whywhywhywhywhywhy??????????????????? Please make it stop. Can I have my little box back please? If you had my life, you probably wouldn't involve youself in such matters. When things like this happen to or around you personally, and you are a good person, you deal with it the best that you can. Some people do bad things for alot of different reasons. The ones who do either die, or are going to be permanently counseled, and constantly monitored for life. Probably put in prison for a very long time. If you want to make the world a better place, go plant some flowers or something. Trust me when I tell you, you have no control over these events you see on the news that are taking place.

When your family members get plastered all over international news, and ugly people make a show about it, than I will be obliged to respect what you write about.

I can't, because when I try I want to throw up. Like right now.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 2:30 am

No surprise to me here. It's the goddamn military.

JakeDay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Apr 2014, 3:08 am

Willard wrote:
From what I've read it's very unlikely he had PTSD - he was trying to make that claim, but he'd only served four months and that not in combat, so there wasn't much traumatic stress for him to have been exposed to. He also claimed to have a Traumatic Brain Injury, but some who knew him have indicated that may have been self-inflicted to get out of service.

I went through an armed holdup that only took 5 minutes. I thwarted them and was not injured but three years later I'm still spewing up and fearful of others thanks to PTSD. We can't know what triggered his PTSD claim, i would never minimise someone's claim to PTSD

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:09 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
marshall wrote:

That is kind of what I was thinking when I read this thread.

He's the minority too. I know there's many many more suffering people that don't take out their frustration in a murdering rampage. Most simply kill themselves. Those people don't even make the news. I mean, is it really fair that someone who kills others becomes a major story in the news while others who merely take themselves out are ignored and forgotten?

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

agmoie wrote:
Another mass shooting by another Neuro-Typical individual,lets hope NTs are witch hunted and viewed with suspicion,cold shouldered etc by normal Autistics.
Before any Uncle Toms mention PTSD- I have it and a large percentage of the population have it,so don`t pretend that magically makes him non-NT.....

Already last night they were going the "mental health and instability" route, like usual. Makes me sick.

Fact: The gunman wouldn't have gotten as far as he had, if the officers on-base would've been allowed to carry a side arm. Policy helped commit those murders and it needs to stop.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm

Why is it that our politicians send thousands of American soldiers to die in Iraq over imaginary weapons of mass destruction and nobody questions their mental stability?

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:43 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Why is it that our politicians send thousands of American soldiers to die in Iraq over imaginary weapons of mass destruction and nobody questions their mental stability?

Good point.

I haven't heard any relevance to ASD at all. :? From what I've read lately, the shooter was grieving his mother and nursing a grudge. All the initial questions from a mental health standpoint seem like supposition and lazy journalism.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 10:03 pm

Rascal77s wrote:

Oh, there are those of us in america that is tired of the administration's bullsh*t, but there are too many people that are more willing to sit on their a**es and not do anything about it than to stand up and question the leaders of our nation. Even with PRISM, more people sought not to fight it, but instead to justify it by saying things like "if you've got nothing to hide, then there's no harm" (the problem is, they'd obviously not think that if it were soldiers bashing down their door to search their house, after all, if they have nothing to hide that shouldn't be a problem either, according to their logic). America is full of people that aren't willing to stand up for their freedoms and rights.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:13 pm

That is not a "fact." That is your opinion.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2014, 1:34 am

Let's do the math, shall we?

1 lone gunman (even 2 or 3), versus an entire base of armed soldiers. If all of them had been armed, the suspect's actions and/or the first shot (assuming someone didn't draw their side arm on him and subdue him first) would tip off most of them within earshot and/or sight range, therefore they'd be on a heightened alert. They would draw their weapons and probably investigate, leading them to a man firing a weapon at everyone else, who by then is engaging in return fire, at which point they would subdue the gunman or kill him, one way or the other. Ergo, after the first shot, anyone within range would know someone was shooting and would draw their weapon, ready to fire in defense. The shooter would not be able to kill as many people because he's outnumbered and outgunned, fighting against trained soldiers and probably from all directions, depending on the base and where they started shooting.
I'd call that fairly conclusive, wouldn't you?

Here's another fact for you: Under current policy, if the guard had done their job and searched the soldier, as is standard procedure when entering a military base, as well as having any vehicle searched, that soldier wouldn't have gotten through the gate in the first place.
Either way, there needs to be a serious reform on policy regarding whether or not soldiers can carry a side arm on base (to prevent future shooters from being able to do this again) and the guard that let the gunman through should be court-martialed for not following procedures.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2014, 11:35 pm

A soldier who was there at Ft. Hood, said the same thing I did here, about the lack of them being able to be armed on base.

http://youtu.be/9ANnyqWnsAg

Jaden wrote:
Ergo, after the first shot, anyone within range would know someone was shooting and would draw their weapon, ready to fire in defense.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 7:29 am

Jaden wrote:
Let's do the math, shall we?

1 lone gunman (even 2 or 3), versus an entire base of armed soldiers. If all of them had been armed, the suspect's actions and/or the first shot (assuming someone didn't draw their side arm on him and subdue him first) would tip off most of them within earshot and/or sight range, therefore they'd be on a heightened alert. They would draw their weapons and probably investigate, leading them to a man firing a weapon at everyone else, who by then is engaging in return fire, at which point they would subdue the gunman or kill him, one way or the other. Ergo, after the first shot, anyone within range would know someone was shooting and would draw their weapon, ready to fire in defense. The shooter would not be able to kill as many people because he's outnumbered and outgunned, fighting against trained soldiers and probably from all directions, depending on the base and where they started shooting.
I'd call that fairly conclusive, wouldn't you?

Here's another fact for you: Under current policy, if the guard had done their job and searched the soldier, as is standard procedure when entering a military base, as well as having any vehicle searched, that soldier wouldn't have gotten through the gate in the first place.
Either way, there needs to be a serious reform on policy regarding whether or not soldiers can carry a side arm on base (to prevent future shooters from being able to do this again) and the guard that let the gunman through should be court-martialed for not following procedures.

Here is another fact for you:
This gun free military base is a result of a G.W. Bush policy that was implemented in the beginning of Clinton's first term. It was also renewed by W, who had 8 years to do something about it. You can blame Obama if you want to, but your blame is misplaced.

And by the way, I think retired four-star general Jack Keane put it best when he said, “I don’t believe our soldiers should be armed on the base. Can you imagine the first responders coming on a scene, and there’s people shooting all over the place, and they have to determine who is friend and who is foe? I think the potential for leading to more violence by arming everybody is rather significant.”