Jenny McCarthy: "I Am Not Anti-Vaccine!"

Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CBRVA83
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2014, 1:50 am

Jenny McCarthy recently wrote an op-ed in the Chicago Sun-Times saying that she's not really anti-vaccine, but that she just didn't want her son to get multiple vaccine shots all at once!: http://www.suntimes.com/news/otherviews ... cines.html

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 5:14 am

Stannis wrote:
As much as mass vaccinations are important, there are mercury based additives (Thiormersal) in many common vaccinations. In light of this fact, I am curious as to why people who have concerns over mercury in vaccines are considered wacko's.

Seems not to be the case:

"In the United States, countries in the European Union and a few other affluent countries, thiomersal is no longer used as a preservative in routine childhood vaccination schedules." - see Wikipedia

And:

"Following a review of mercury-containing food and drugs mandated in 1999, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics asked vaccine manufacturers to remove thiomersal from vaccines as a purely precautionary measure, and it was rapidly phased out of most U.S. and European vaccines. ... {but} the rate of autism continues to climb despite elimination of thiomersal from routine childhood vaccines." - see same source.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 7:55 am

one-A-N wrote:
Stannis wrote:
As much as mass vaccinations are important, there are mercury based additives (Thiormersal) in many common vaccinations. In light of this fact, I am curious as to why people who have concerns over mercury in vaccines are considered wacko's.

Seems not to be the case:

"In the United States, countries in the European Union and a few other affluent countries, thiomersal is no longer used as a preservative in routine childhood vaccination schedules." - see Wikipedia

And:

"Following a review of mercury-containing food and drugs mandated in 1999, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics asked vaccine manufacturers to remove thiomersal from vaccines as a purely precautionary measure, and it was rapidly phased out of most U.S. and European vaccines. ... {but} the rate of autism continues to climb despite elimination of thiomersal from routine childhood vaccines." - see same source.

Yes, but just because I am an adult does not mean that it's okay for me to lose several IQ points every time I get vaccinated. According to Wikipedia mercury is still being used in several common adult vaccines. My question is if it can be fazed out of childhood vaccines without sacrificing efficacy, why can't be fazed out of all vaccines?

Last edited by Stannis on 15 Apr 2014, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 8:37 am

She got called out on something that could potentially ruin her career, especially now that certain diseases are making a comeback due to anti-vaccination loons. All she did was move the goal-posts by saying she opposed a practice that doctors don't even do. No doctor is going to inject a child who is already fighting off an infection with six different vaccines at the same time.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:52 am

Can we just send her to an otherwise-uninhabited island far, far away, without Internet access?

She is boring to those of us with brains, and dangerous to those people who think that if a celebrity says something, no matter how idiotic, credence should be given.

Anyone want to help me pick out the island?

I am considering one with Komodo Dragons.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 12:23 pm

I think a fair number of doctors think it was a mistake to remove thiomersal as a "purely precautionary measure" because it fed into anti-vaccine hysteria.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 12:27 pm

All this said, I think it is a reasonable theory that some cases of autism are caused by an autoimmune reaction, say somewhat similar to PANDAS (which itself is controversial) or to Guillain-Barre syndrome (which is not controversial).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 2:05 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
She got called out on something that could potentially ruin her career, especially now that certain diseases are making a comeback due to anti-vaccination loons. All she did was move the goal-posts by saying she opposed a practice that doctors don't even do. No doctor is going to inject a child who is already fighting off an infection with six different vaccines at the same time.

Lord almighty! Jenny McCarthy still has a career?!?!

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 2:12 pm

Yeah, like Joan Collins still is an actress.

Or that Lindsay Lohan ever was.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 5:13 pm

Sylkat wrote:
Can we just send her to an otherwise-uninhabited island far, far away, without Internet access?

She is boring to those of us with brains, and dangerous to those people who think that if a celebrity says something, no matter how idiotic, credence should be given.

Can we backtrack and send her predecessor there first as part of an scouting expedition?

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 8:03 pm

Sounds like a great idea....how many of those brilliant medical theorists shall we be shipping?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:08 pm

Anyone that relies on Jenny McCarthy for medical advice gets what they deserve. Yes, yes, it's unfortunate that the poor little children should have to suffer deadly disease outbreaks because their parents were moronic enough to listen to miss bimbo fun-bags, but in all honesty it's just natural evolution. The world moves on...and becomes smarter for it.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 9:45 pm

in a way its funny,as she mentions not wanting the all in one vax,but being a mid eighties child was personaly given the MMR in single doses with several weeks between each one and still ended up severely classic autistic,anyone born mid eighties or earlier in the UK will have had the single MMR injections and hey-look at all the adult autistics today.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

Perhaps she could re-focus.

Perhaps she could spend her energy trying to future out what is wrong with herself and what caused it.

:roll:

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:16 am

Sylkat wrote:

I didn't know you were so evil. You just continue to impress me. :twisted:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 11:06 am

Evil?

Moi?

Oh, I understand...you are concerned that the Komodo Dragons might get indigestion.

How compassionate of you.