Shooting Spree in Isla Vista, California

Page 9 of 15 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next

CaptainTrips222
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Mar 2009
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,100

25 May 2014, 1:15 pm

TheRedPedant93 wrote:
Great...It's Adam Lanza all over again (just found out the news).

I sincerely hope that this scumbag was misdiagnosed


I don't think he was. I have a feeling he really was on the spectrum, but you're right that he doesn't represent how aspies think and behave. The damage is done, though. His own parent stated he had aspergers, so it's above the rumor stage.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,895
Location: Long Island, New York

25 May 2014, 1:23 pm

My prediction is if incidents of diagnosed aspies going on killings sprees continues I don't think it would take the form of a Nazi like mass roundups and extermination. The number of individual hate crimes would go up as is what happened to Muslims and people who vaguely looked like them after 9/11. If they have not done so already databases for people on the spectrum will be set up and people with asperger type traits profiled. The job situation already horrendous will get worse, maybe much worse. As mentioned in the trendy thread I don?t know how it would affect rates of diagnosis. The intensity of the backlash will vary widely by location. We see the wide variation in attitudes towards autism and many other things now. I see no reason for that to change.

With this incident I am hoping the fact that it happened on a holiday weekend might blunt the effect. All in all f**k, f**k f**k


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Age: 41
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,032

25 May 2014, 1:40 pm

Dillogic wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
Saying that organising a date for him early on could've prevented it sounds a bit like blaming women for what he did, actually.

Having sexual partners, dating and love are not a human right. This dude was a spoilt rich white entitled as*hole filled with hate, ie. the ultimate undesirable.


Not really, and I'm sure there would be women out there who would have dated him, possibly ones with similar social problems. I'd blame his ASD for what he did if social isolation, lack of empathy (inability to care about the pain he caused to others), and social/emotional differences were the cause, in addition to useless therapy regarding the social aspects of autism. I'd say the same thing if he was female (hormone differences would be why men do these things compared to women who suffer the same ailments).

No, it's not, but "we" can help people who want such who also have a medical condition that takes away their ability to do it on their own. The same for schooling and employment -- neither are a "human right", but we help people find such who have medical conditions all the same if they want it and are able.

I wouldn't judge his personality based on when he was at his lowest. Any hate and homicidal behavior he had could have been due to years of social problems and the same festering underneath.

Naturally, he may have done it anyway, no matter what help he received. But we have his reason and know that he was in therapy -- some clues there.


stop justifiying his hate. it's really repugnant and it's a HUGE part of the problem, and you are contributing to that problem. he had no right to hate women because they wouldn't f**k him. he was obviously a thoroughly repugnant person (i am not talking physically, i am speaking of his personality, which comes through in his videos and writings) AND NOT A SINGLE WOMAN ON THIS EARTH OWED HIM SEX. the fact that he couldn't handle that and chose to shoot people because he couldn't handle it is 100% HIS FAULT AND NO ONE ELSE'S.



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 23,895
Location: Long Island, New York

25 May 2014, 1:44 pm

Guy was racist also
http://www.splcenter.org/blog/2014/05/2 ... _U.twitter

Manifesto below, I no time to read it now or for most of the rest of the day
http://fusion.net/justice/story/elliot- ... rld-713444.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060

25 May 2014, 2:21 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
My prediction is if incidents of diagnosed aspies going on killings sprees continues I don't think it would take the form of a Nazi like mass roundups and extermination. The number of individual hate crimes would go up as is what happened to Muslims and people who vaguely looked like them after 9/11. If they have not done so already databases for people on the spectrum will be set up and people with asperger type traits profiled. The job situation already horrendous will get worse, maybe much worse. As mentioned in the trendy thread I don?t know how it would affect rates of diagnosis. The intensity of the backlash will vary widely by location. We see the wide variation in attitudes towards autism and many other things now. I see no reason for that to change.

With this incident I am hoping the fact that it happened on a holiday weekend might blunt the effect. All in all f**k, f**k f**k


If a guy methodically executing kindergartners didn't change society at all, this DEFINITELY won't. This will have absolutely no effect on our lives in any way.



MR20
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 945

25 May 2014, 2:38 pm

Hopper, please stop trying to turn this into a feminist issue. Did you read through his manifesto? He was going to kill his brother so that he wouldn't grow up to be more successful than he was.

The dude was certifiably insane.



NathanElwin
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: No Longer A Passenger On This Ship Of Fools

25 May 2014, 2:38 pm

Niall wrote:
[...] Less of the logical leaps, please.

I do mot make 'leaps', logical or otherwise. Logic is only one tool among many others in my neural network.

If you dislike my posts, simply put them on an ignore list (if this board supports that functionality).

End of Line.

--- Nathan


_________________
"[...] We have come to salute you, the symbol of all those revolutionaries who struggled for the realisation of Anarchist ideas in Russia. We also come to pay our respects to the rich experience of the Ukraine." -- http://goo.gl/C1nPLB


Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 4 Jan 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 175
Location: Pennsyltuckey

25 May 2014, 2:48 pm

I don't expect the number of hate crimes against autistics to go up by much, if at all. I mean, how easy it is it to spot someone on the spectrum in a crowd anyway?


_________________
I'm a photographer.


Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,908
Location: North Wayels

25 May 2014, 2:54 pm

MR20 wrote:
Hopper, please stop trying to turn this into a feminist issue. Did you read through his manifesto? He was going to kill his brother so that he wouldn't grow up to be more successful than he was.

The dude was certifiably insane.


I'm not sure he was insane, though I've yet to read through the manifesto. He seemed pretty in touch with reality. His take on that reality was to the extreme end for most people, but there wasn't really anything he thought that is that unusual. "The woman makes me want to have sex with her. She won't let me have sex with her. Whore" is one of the oldest, widely spread stories there is.

I did read a few excerpts. The bit where women shouldn't be able to choose who they 'mate and breed with', but rather have their choices made by 'rational intelligent men'. Now, in what universe is that sort of thinking not a feminist issue?

If there was ever a feminist issue, it's that someone can come to form the ideas about women that the killer did, and have others encourage him in forming those ideas,and pretty publicly plan to act violently on those ideas such that the cops come by, and still do it. In many other contexts, with a different ideology, the actions the man planned and carried out would be considered terrorism.

For whatever reasons, he understood his hatred and rage through the lens of misogyny. It's how he made sense of it and focused it. That wasn't an accident. Which is why it's a feminist issue.

Lest there be any confusion, I do not think Rodger's case is only a feminist issue. But it is an important aspect.


_________________
Of course, it's probably quite a bit more complicated than that.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.


Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2011
Age: 48
Gender: Male
Posts: 478
Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

25 May 2014, 3:00 pm

NathanElwin wrote:
Niall wrote:
[...] Less of the logical leaps, please.

I do mot make 'leaps', logical or otherwise..


The notion that taking guns out of the hands of civilians results in neo-Nazi government goons on the streets, whatever else it might be, certainly isn't logical. The second someone commits a mass murder with a firearm, out come the swivel-eyed loons insisting the answer is more guns. The evidence suggests the opposite.

NathanElwin wrote:
Logic is only one tool among many others in my neural network.


Evidently, and it doesn't do the Aspie community any favours when you join in with the paranoid NRA rants.

NathanElwin wrote:
If you dislike my posts, simply put them on an ignore list (if this board supports that functionality).


It doesn't, but that shouldn't stop me calling people out on BS that harms the community.


_________________
Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.


MR20
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 945

25 May 2014, 3:11 pm

Hopper wrote:
MR20 wrote:
Hopper, please stop trying to turn this into a feminist issue. Did you read through his manifesto? He was going to kill his brother so that he wouldn't grow up to be more successful than he was.

The dude was certifiably insane.


I'm not sure he was insane, though I've yet to read through the manifesto. He seemed pretty in touch with reality. His take on that reality was to the extreme end for most people, but there wasn't really anything he thought that is that unusual. "The woman makes me want to have sex with her. She won't let me have sex with her. Whore" is one of the oldest, widely spread stories there is.

I did read a few excerpts. The bit where women shouldn't be able to choose who they 'mate and breed with', but rather have their choices made by 'rational intelligent men'. Now, in what universe is that sort of thinking not a feminist issue?

If there was ever a feminist issue, it's that someone can come to form the ideas about women that the killer did, and have others encourage him in forming those ideas,and pretty publicly plan to act violently on those ideas such that the cops come by, and still do it. In many other contexts, with a different ideology, the actions the man planned and carried out would be considered terrorism.

For whatever reasons, he understood his hatred and rage through the lens of misogyny. It's how he made sense of it and focused it. That wasn't an accident. Which is why it's a feminist issue.

Lest there be any confusion, I do not think Rodger's case is only a feminist issue. But it is an important aspect.


Sure...

[img][800:468]http://i.imgur.com/1ht6erN.png[/img]

[img][800:211]http://i.imgur.com/MmFRwxU.jpg[/img]

[img][800:293]http://i.imgur.com/gNbxvc0.jpg[/img]

All from his "manifesto". This is the writings of a person that's clearly in touch with reality.



NathanElwin
Butterfly
Butterfly

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2012
Age: 55
Gender: Male
Posts: 9
Location: No Longer A Passenger On This Ship Of Fools

25 May 2014, 3:15 pm

Niall wrote:
[...] Evidently, and it doesn't do the Aspie community any favours when you join in with the paranoid NRA rants.

I care no more about the NRA than I do about the "Aspie community".

You're rather a dumb bunny who does not investigate those you choose to engage, aren't you?

Nathan Elwin is out for himself; let the rest of the galaxy burn (since it will anyway).

End of Line.

--- Nathan


_________________
"[...] We have come to salute you, the symbol of all those revolutionaries who struggled for the realisation of Anarchist ideas in Russia. We also come to pay our respects to the rich experience of the Ukraine." -- http://goo.gl/C1nPLB


TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Oct 2013
Age: 33
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,060

25 May 2014, 3:25 pm

NathanElwin wrote:
Niall wrote:
[...] Evidently, and it doesn't do the Aspie community any favours when you join in with the paranoid NRA rants.

I care no more about the NRA than I do about the "Aspie community".

You're rather a dumb bunny who does not investigate those you choose to engage, aren't you?

Nathan Elwin is out for himself; let the rest of the galaxy burn (since it will anyway).

End of Line.

--- Nathan


Welp.



Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 May 2009
Age: 54
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,450
Location: x

25 May 2014, 3:29 pm

Oh My God!! ! MR20 I just read the excerpt of his rant you posted and he is beyond horrible. I never thought I would say this about anyone but I'm glad he's dead.



Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2012
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,908
Location: North Wayels

25 May 2014, 3:36 pm

MR20 wrote:
Hopper wrote:
MR20 wrote:
Hopper, please stop trying to turn this into a feminist issue. Did you read through his manifesto? He was going to kill his brother so that he wouldn't grow up to be more successful than he was.

The dude was certifiably insane.


I'm not sure he was insane, though I've yet to read through the manifesto. He seemed pretty in touch with reality. His take on that reality was to the extreme end for most people, but there wasn't really anything he thought that is that unusual. "The woman makes me want to have sex with her. She won't let me have sex with her. Whore" is one of the oldest, widely spread stories there is.

I did read a few excerpts. The bit where women shouldn't be able to choose who they 'mate and breed with', but rather have their choices made by 'rational intelligent men'. Now, in what universe is that sort of thinking not a feminist issue?

If there was ever a feminist issue, it's that someone can come to form the ideas about women that the killer did, and have others encourage him in forming those ideas,and pretty publicly plan to act violently on those ideas such that the cops come by, and still do it. In many other contexts, with a different ideology, the actions the man planned and carried out would be considered terrorism.

For whatever reasons, he understood his hatred and rage through the lens of misogyny. It's how he made sense of it and focused it. That wasn't an accident. Which is why it's a feminist issue.

Lest there be any confusion, I do not think Rodger's case is only a feminist issue. But it is an important aspect.


Sure...

All from his "manifesto". This is the writings of a person that's clearly in touch with reality.


They seem like horrific baroque fantasies. I'm not sure such things qualify one as 'insane' - they could be taken from any number of recent horror films whose creators are likely quite sane. Insanity would depend on how much he believed in them and their possibility.

Nor do I see how insanity in any way negates a feminist response to the misogynistic things he said and believed and did, and that many men share his views.


_________________
Of course, it's probably quite a bit more complicated than that.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.


MR20
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Sep 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 945

25 May 2014, 3:48 pm

Hopper wrote:
MR20 wrote:
Hopper wrote:
MR20 wrote:
Hopper, please stop trying to turn this into a feminist issue. Did you read through his manifesto? He was going to kill his brother so that he wouldn't grow up to be more successful than he was.

The dude was certifiably insane.


I'm not sure he was insane, though I've yet to read through the manifesto. He seemed pretty in touch with reality. His take on that reality was to the extreme end for most people, but there wasn't really anything he thought that is that unusual. "The woman makes me want to have sex with her. She won't let me have sex with her. Whore" is one of the oldest, widely spread stories there is.

I did read a few excerpts. The bit where women shouldn't be able to choose who they 'mate and breed with', but rather have their choices made by 'rational intelligent men'. Now, in what universe is that sort of thinking not a feminist issue?

If there was ever a feminist issue, it's that someone can come to form the ideas about women that the killer did, and have others encourage him in forming those ideas,and pretty publicly plan to act violently on those ideas such that the cops come by, and still do it. In many other contexts, with a different ideology, the actions the man planned and carried out would be considered terrorism.

For whatever reasons, he understood his hatred and rage through the lens of misogyny. It's how he made sense of it and focused it. That wasn't an accident. Which is why it's a feminist issue.

Lest there be any confusion, I do not think Rodger's case is only a feminist issue. But it is an important aspect.


Sure...

All from his "manifesto". This is the writings of a person that's clearly in touch with reality.


They seem like horrific baroque fantasies. I'm not sure such things qualify one as 'insane' - they could be taken from any number of recent horror films whose creators are likely quite sane. Insanity would depend on how much he believed in them and their possibility.

Nor do I see how insanity in any way negates a feminist response to the misogynistic things he said and believed and did, and that many men share his views.


It does because feminists on twitter/tumblr/other sites such as yourself are trying to hijack discussion about a tragedy and turn it into an agenda driven narrative.

The guy had aspergers and probably a bunch of other problems going on. He had warped views about EVERYTHING; Sex, males, females, race, relationships of any kind, and life in general, not just women.