Shooting Spree in Isla Vista, California

Page 5 of 15 [ 231 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:03 pm

Magneto wrote:
Statistically, people with Aspergers may well be more likely to go on shooting sprees.

However, the number of spree killers is so low that the increase in probability is insignificant. Though that fact will be lost on people who don't understand the basics of probability maths.

His video is very... interesting. It appears he had already made up his mind the night before and specified his plan. Was the video released after the shooting, then? Or did anyone else watch it before?

Forbes

His parents had seen the videos and he was receiving help.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:11 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Magneto wrote:
Statistically, people with Aspergers may well be more likely to go on shooting sprees.

However, the number of spree killers is so low that the increase in probability is insignificant. Though that fact will be lost on people who don't understand the basics of probability maths.

His video is very... interesting. It appears he had already made up his mind the night before and specified his plan. Was the video released after the shooting, then? Or did anyone else watch it before?

Forbes

by the age of 22, such people are pretty much beyond help, and if his parents were really any sort of parents they would have noticed his "problems" sooner--like the fact that he was a hateful narcissist who seemed to enjoy talking about killing people who didn't give him what he wanted. by the age of 22, he didn't need help--he needed a bullet to the brain-stem.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:26 pm

^Seconded. There's a good difference between an autie/aspie and a psychopath. This kid was the latter.

Ghostgirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 May 2014, 6:37 pm

I am hopping aspergers was a misdiagnosis, this news is just to upsetting

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:37 pm

Magneto wrote:

I'd say that mentally ill/neurologically disabled people are far more prone to violence then people who have everything going for them. However, the vast majority of that violence is directed at themselves or inanimate objects. It takes a conscious effort to cross the line and start hurting other living things.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:39 pm

This reminds me - I recall a not disimilar MRA anti-feminist video posted in PPR, done in the style of a nondescript still picture with a voiceover, which variously railed against feminists and their evil ways, and how it was hurting men, and that, in the Mafia style of 'nice shop you got here. Shame if anything happened to it' claimed that if feminists didn't change, there would be a series of violent uprisings by men against women (which I'm assuming would be distinct from the more general gendered violence), and that only by working with MRAs could this be prevented.

Also, I thought this interesting:

http://bellejar.ca/2014/05/24/elliot-ro ... ate-women/

Quote:
Last night, a 22 year old man named Elliot Rodger killed six women and injured seven more in what most news outlets are describing as a ?shooting rampage.? Rodger died later that night from a gunshot wound to his head, though it?s still unclear as to whether or not it was self-inflicted or from responding deputies shooting back after he opened fire on them.

Almost everything I?ve read about him has referred to him as a ?madman? or ?mentally ill.?

No. We have no evidence yet that he suffered from any kind of mental illness or was under any sort of treatment. Immediately claiming that with no proof to back that fact up leads to the further stigmatization of the mentally ill, and contributes to the (incorrect) assumption that mental illness equals violence, and vice versa.

We don?t know whether Elliot Rodger was mentally ill. What we do know is that he was a Men?s Rights Activist, or MRA.

[Moderator edit: The quoted text has been truncated. Please don't copy/paste entire articles here - this amounts to republishing and may cause problems due to copyright infringement. Always provide a link to the full article and either add your own summary or quote a short extract.]

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 6:41 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
Forbes

This article indicates that the posters on the PUA and bodybuilding sites were actively challenging this guy's crazy victim routine, which contradicts the narrative I'm seeing develop on other sites.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:06 pm

Hopper wrote:
This reminds me - I recall a not disimilar MRA anti-feminist video posted in PPR, done in the style of a nondescript still picture with a voiceover, which variously railed against feminists and their evil ways, and how it was hurting men, and that, in the Mafia style of 'nice shop you got here. Shame if anything happened to it' claimed that if feminists didn't change, there would be a series of violent uprisings by men against women (which I'm assuming would be distinct from the more general gendered violence), and that only by working with MRAs could this be prevented.

Except his parents and the family's lawyer confirmed that not only was he seeing "multiple therapists," he was also on the spectrum. I don't know why they would lie about something like that. As obnoxious and terrible as MRA's are in general, that article seems a bit hysterical. It's easy enough to dismiss them without suggesting that he was fueled entirely by lame pickup artist videos.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

24 May 2014, 7:23 pm

Spree killers are statistically irrelevant. You can't draw any conclusions from them and there is little you can do remedy them, no laws and awareness will change the fact that there will always be bad eggs out there. I think it is ridiculous to tie this kid's diagnosis of Asperger's if he indeed had one to this terrible crime that he did, if a black person murdered someone you wouldn't say that blacks are more prone to violence would you?

Not to doubt the diagnosis but AS is a relatively common one whereas other disorders and illnesses that present social impairment may not be. One has to remember everybody is different but vast majority of all peoples, normal and the mentally ill or however you want to put it have no capacity for violence. People need to resist the urge to explain away why this kid did this, the easy answer is that "he's crazy" or to blame access to guns or violent media or whatever, things are always more complicated than that. Your entire life and lineage has led up to this point right now, you can't use one word to describe why someone does something.

thisismynamomg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 May 2014, 7:37 pm

:?: What I want to know is, how a kid with a BMW and a rich family would have trouble gettin' any?

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:41 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
Hopper wrote:

Except his parents and the family's lawyer confirmed that not only was he seeing "multiple therapists," he was also on the spectrum. I don't know why they would lie about something like that. As obnoxious and terrible as MRA's are in general, that article seems a bit hysterical. It's easy enough to dismiss them without suggesting that he was fueled entirely by lame pickup artist videos.

Well, Asperger's isn't a mental illness. Quite why he was seeing the therapists, and what sort of therapists they were, has not yet been disclosed. I would assume the blog was written before such things came to light. The point being that the immediate speculationin such things is that the perpetrator is, as it were, a 'madman'.

I think there are, obviously, many factors at play. A 'leading' newspaper - that is, big-selling, not, you know, good - in the UK, the Mail on Sunday, runs it front page: HATRED OF THE HUNGER GAMES ASSASSIN: British son of violent fantasy filmmaker kills six in gun rampage in 'revenge for being virgin at 22'.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/4 ... 41/photo/1

Now, the MoS is hardly a paragon of insightful thinking, but I think it's indicative that a paper will think (and so try to encourage others to), 'maybe there's something in the fact his dad was assistant director on a film that had some violence in it' rather than looking at his stated reasons. That he felt entitled to attention from women, and was baffled that this wasn't so, and he hated them for it.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Last edited by Hopper on 24 May 2014, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:43 pm

thisismynamomg wrote:
:?: What I want to know is, how a kid with a BMW and a rich family would have trouble gettin' any?

I know! And he was such a nice guy, too. A true gent. [/sarcasm.]

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:59 pm

thisismynamomg wrote:

surprise surprise! jerk-offs with horrible personalities are unattractive to most women, even the jerk-offs with horrible personalities that also have BMWs and trust funds--unbelievable!

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:03 pm

Raptor wrote:
He could have remedied his 22 year old virgin status by renting a whore.

He could have sated his misogynistic violence by killing a few. Much less fuss made about that.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:03 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Ugh, don't be surprised if they start saying this guy is on the spectrum.

Is is reported he was on the spectrum diagnosed HFA

Shooter

Ghostgirl wrote:
Not to stir up the pot, but being that there has been some very high profile shootings linked to males with aspergers, should people with our condition be allowed to own guns.
I haven't heard of any women with aspergers going on rampages, but we do seem to end up being victims of violence.

I see no reason why we shouldn't. I am on the spectrum and I own firearms. I for one don't want to lose my rights as I have served my country and have been a contributor to society. But I am sure this will stir up the debate yet again.

Anything can be used as a weapon even a 4,000 lb car. Being on the spectrum should not allow them to take away our rights without just cause. I am surprised however this happened in California of all places with the strict gun laws that they have! /sarc Just goes to show that laws don't prevent crime. You can pass laws to prevent this sort of thing. Even through his HSA diagnosis, he had to have a personality disorder I would think.