Page 2 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:05 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
What would have happened if Hitler were able to take over western Europe and North America? How would Aspies have fared in THOSE concentration camps?

We would probably have invented Rocket Science.

To quote Rick from Casablanca, "there are parts of New York City I would advise you to not try and invade."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 7:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

I was thinking along these lines, though: What would have happened if Hitler were able to take over western Europe and North America? How would Aspies have fared in THOSE concentration camps?

I would imagine very poorly.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 8:16 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Why exactly are you 'confused'?

What are you 'confused' about?

Beating Hitler is one thing.

Current troublespots in the World are something else.

Why does one negate the other?

We try to persuade ourselves that D-Day was the final sacrifice, it saved the civilised world, and from then on the world has only got better. Not true.

That it 'saved civilization' is arguably true. The rest are things that no one claims.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 8:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

I was thinking along these lines, though: What would have happened if Hitler were able to take over western Europe and North America? How would Aspies have fared in THOSE concentration camps?

hitler never planned to attack north America and in fact wanted to be allies, also aspies were excluded from the camps thanks to hans asperger

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2014, 8:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Think about it: how would Aspies fare in the Concentration Camps?

Which Aspies in the camp; the ones that were guards/camp staff or the ones that were prisoners?

Think about that question before you write it off as absurd...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:59 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Were it not for Dr. Hans Asperger, they would have been sent to their deaths, starting with the doctor's subjects. Like a real hero, he protected them from being "put to sleep" by the Nazis.

Too bad his name sounds like ASS-BURGERS(Sarcasm)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 3:11 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Were it not for Dr. Hans Asperger, they would have been sent to their deaths, starting with the doctor's subjects. Like a real hero, he protected them from being "put to sleep" by the Nazis.

If that's so, then the joke's on us Aspies.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 5:34 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I sounds different in German.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 6:28 pm

chris5000 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

hitler never planned to attack north America and in fact wanted to be allies, also aspies were excluded from the camps thanks to hans asperger

what about people with other ASD (non-aspies)? i wonder...

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 6:39 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

the entire concentration camp thing is way over blown
most of the deaths were from starvation and typhoid fever which was caused from lack of supply's thanks to the constant allied bombings
practiclly every country in ww2 had concentration camps including the united states

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

chris5000 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

most of the deaths were from starvation and typhoid fever which was caused from lack of supply's thanks to the constant allied bombings
practiclly every country in ww2 had concentration camps including the united states

While there were deaths attributable to starvation and typhoid, it must be remembered these were not just work camps, but out and out murder factories, with gas chambers running day and night. We know this from Auschwitz Commandant Rudolph Huss, who had testified against his bosses at Nuremberg, besides the obvious physical evidence, and witness testimony.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 9:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

While there were deaths attributable to starvation and typhoid, it must be remembered these were not just work camps, but out and out murder factories, with gas chambers running day and night. We know this from Auschwitz Commandant Rudolph Huss, who had testified against his bosses at Nuremberg, besides the obvious physical evidence, and witness testimony.

what physical evidence? so far everything presented at the Nuremberg trials has been debunked theres no evidence that they were anything other than work camps

I bet you also believe the ww1 propaganda campaign that the germans ate polish baby's

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 11:02 pm

chris5000 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
chris5000 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
That's true.

what physical evidence? so far everything presented at the Nuremberg trials has been debunked theres no evidence that they were anything other than work camps

I bet you also believe the ww1 propaganda campaign that the germans ate polish baby's

Uh..., no, I don't believe the propaganda leveled at the Germans during the First World War. In that conflict, the Germans had fought much more honorably, as the Kaiser was hardly a genocidal lunatic like Hitler.
But the Nuremberg trials have been debunked by who? Holocaust deniers? I don't know of a legitimate historian who doubts the Holocaust.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 12:05 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:
We try to persuade ourselves that D-Day was the final sacrifice, it saved the civilised world, and from then on the world has only got better. Not true.

That it 'saved civilization' is arguably true. The rest are things that no one claims.

I started the thread because I find the whole business of war totally confusing. For the British survivors, WW2 sometimes comes over as a massive adventure, straight out of 'Boys' Own Paper'. The retreat to Dunkirk is celebrated as a major success, and the Battle of Britain is a classic David against Goliath story. London's survival of the German blitz is somehow attributed to the 'Dunkirk Spirit'.

To a large extent, the Germans were defeated by the Cloak&Dagger activities of the intelligence services - long live the Scarlet Pimpernel! Ian Fleming's James Bond stories were very much based on real WW2 events involving SOE/SAS.

WW2 brought us Dame Vera Lynn, Glenn Miller, and the JitterBug, not to mention ITMA, Bing Crosby and nylon stockings. Hell - it was a whole lot of fun. And D-day was the party to end all parties.

IMHO, the D-day celebrations should have taken the form of a 3-day-long shutdown of all radio and TV stations. All cinemas should have been required to show continuous footage of the death and destruction, and for a week afterwards, we should have been treated to the story of all the subsequent wars in which the Western powers have abused their position of wealth and power in their continuing, but so far failed, quest to impose their values upon the rest of the world.

The only thing which is special about WW2 is that there was an undisputed bad guy - and he lost...

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 5:44 pm

I'm truly sorry you have never ever opened a history book, or even checked online.
D-Day celebrates some of the bravest actions ever taken in wartime.
As I said before, if you think we glorify WWII, ask someone in Russia. They remain proud to this day that they pushed the Germans all the way back to Berlin.
D-Day, in case you haven't noticed, celebrates the Heroism of British and American soldiers who faced death trying to take those beaches for the Invasion of France. It was full of sudden death and destruction and EVERYONE except you knows that. One of the survivors I saw on a documentary said he was wounded, and lying on a stretcher on the beach when a German sniper shot the medic tending to him right through the Red Cross on his helmet. It doesn't get much worse than that.
For pity's sake, sit down and watch "Saving Private Ryan."

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 6:27 pm

Josef Stalin, the well-known Russian dictator, was empowered by the defeat of Hitler, but his methods were very similar, and his victims suffered for many years after D-day.

I guess I am not the only one who is confused.