Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2014, 7:55 am

Cumberland Valley School District's network was supposedly hacked by someone from Eastern Europe. The server contains student and employee records, but the district's IT people aren't sure if the information was accessed. All they found was a folder.

Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I laughed way too hard when I heard this on the radio. Why someone from Eastern Europe would target an American school's server is anyone's guess. I'm really skeptical about this.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2014, 1:28 pm

Eastern European mafia and other criminals don't restrict their activities to their own countries; they will try to gain access to any servers anywhere in the world in case there is information there useful to them. They don't know what's there until they access the data. There could be personal documents containing financial information, maybe even banking records they can make use of or password details to other servers or online accounts. Maybe information that would allow them to create a cloned passport in the name of one of the employees. Data generally has some financial value to someone.