finally some GOOD NEWS! Shell BANNED from stifling protest

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

17 Nov 2014, 9:23 pm

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2014/11/1 ... tail=email

the upshot is that big corporate bully shell oil cannot pre-emptively sue environmental groups to silence them. this kind of company lawsuit for the purpose of stifling public dissent came to be known as SLAPP suits: Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation. that's what shell was trying to do; scare the environmental groups away from filing protests against shell's oil's arctic drilling plans. it failed. GREAT! :D



AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

17 Nov 2014, 9:35 pm

Well, we can't blame Shell. After all, it is owned by the cousin queens of the United Kingdom and of the Netherlands. They are used to getting their ways with royal intimidation [sarcasm].

Hehe. They have got to be pretty angry about this appellate opinion. And, they daren't appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Tough spot to be in.

This is a fun news report!


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,019

18 Nov 2014, 2:01 am

That's very good news!


_________________
No respect for acting like a covidiot, for doing so is despicable.
Masks: 40% protection. 1 meter distance: 80% protection

<3 Turtles, wolves and dogs <3


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

19 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

HOO! HOO! The good guys finally get a win!


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

they need to outlaw SLAPP suits altogether.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

19 Nov 2014, 8:33 pm

auntblabby wrote:
they need to outlaw SLAPP suits altogether.


Sounds like an excellent idea to me. :thumleft:


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

19 Nov 2014, 8:51 pm

or facilitate some kind of civil rights countersuit for treble damages.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

20 Nov 2014, 12:16 am

auntblabby wrote:
or facilitate some kind of civil rights countersuit for treble damages.


Another excellent idea.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2014
Age: 42
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,111
Location: Planet Jendell

20 Nov 2014, 8:10 am

I'd like to hear Shell's side of the story before I make any judgments.


_________________
Shock me!


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

20 Nov 2014, 11:51 am

FracturedRocket wrote:
I'd like to hear Shell's side of the story before I make any judgments.


And what side might that be? That they're being picked on by local people who don't want their home turned into an industrial wasteland? Or by evil, evil environmental activists looking out for the welfare of wild life? When it comes to the underdog fighting against a corporate monstrosity like Shell, I'll side with the little guy.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,019

20 Nov 2014, 11:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
FracturedRocket wrote:
I'd like to hear Shell's side of the story before I make any judgments.


And what side might that be? That they're being picked on by local people who don't want their home turned into an industrial wasteland? Or by evil, evil environmental activists looking out for the welfare of wild life? When it comes to the underdog fighting against a corporate monstrosity like Shell, I'll side with the little guy.


Exactly! :thumleft: Well put!


_________________
No respect for acting like a covidiot, for doing so is despicable.
Masks: 40% protection. 1 meter distance: 80% protection

<3 Turtles, wolves and dogs <3


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,606
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

20 Nov 2014, 12:04 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
FracturedRocket wrote:
I'd like to hear Shell's side of the story before I make any judgments.


And what side might that be? That they're being picked on by local people who don't want their home turned into an industrial wasteland? Or by evil, evil environmental activists looking out for the welfare of wild life? When it comes to the underdog fighting against a corporate monstrosity like Shell, I'll side with the little guy.


Exactly! :thumleft: Well put!


Thank you. 8)


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 7 Dec 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Female
Posts: 27,019

20 Nov 2014, 4:19 pm

Here's an interesting simulation made by NASA, showing the flight of CO2 in the atmosphere.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... vironment/


_________________
No respect for acting like a covidiot, for doing so is despicable.
Masks: 40% protection. 1 meter distance: 80% protection

<3 Turtles, wolves and dogs <3


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

20 Nov 2014, 4:30 pm

I wonder why the lions' share of the CO2 was over the northern hemisphere? and why CO predominates in the southern hemisphere?



Widget
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

User avatar

Joined: 30 Dec 2013
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 62

20 Nov 2014, 7:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
they need to outlaw SLAPP suits altogether.


Second this



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 96,764
Location: the island of defective toy santas

20 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

if they could get away with sending in armed goons to break up environmental protests they would.