Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2014, 9:22 am

According to an article that appeared on the NPR website November 5, 2014...

Dan Charles wrote:
Remember when Cheerios and Grape-Nuts went GMO-free? That was about a year ago, when their corporate creators announced that these products would no longer contain ingredients made from genetically modified organisms like common types of corn, soybeans or sugar beets.

When they actually arrived on supermarket shelves, though, there was a mysterious change in their list of ingredients. Four vitamins that previously had been added to Grape-Nuts — vitamins A, D, B-12 and B-2 (also known as riboflavin) — were gone. Riboflavin vanished from Cheerios.

It seems that food companies don't want to go to the extra trouble and expense of obtaining these vital nutrients if it means that there is even the slightest chance that genetically-modified yeast or chemical processes could be involved in the process.

So, instead of providing nutritious food, these companies seem to have embraced the "Science is Evil" meme and are now producing foods that are not as good for you as they once were.

(Sorry, link would not work. Would someone help out, please?)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 3:38 pm

That doesn't exactly imply non GMO food as a whole is less nutritious than GMO food....it implies cheerios, removed those ingredients, then again it could just mean they are not added in maybe it does still contain those vitamins...or it could be laziness on their part. Either way I prefer things that aren't more artificial/GMO than not. Don't care much for cheerios though, anyways.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 5:31 pm

Thanks for the free bump. Here's the link: "Why Did Vitamins Disappear From Non-GMO Breakfast Cereal?"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
According to an article that appeared on the NPR website November 5, 2014...

Dan Charles wrote:
Remember when Cheerios and Grape-Nuts went GMO-free? That was about a year ago, when their corporate creators announced that these products would no longer contain ingredients made from genetically modified organisms like common types of corn, soybeans or sugar beets.

When they actually arrived on supermarket shelves, though, there was a mysterious change in their list of ingredients. Four vitamins that previously had been added to Grape-Nuts — vitamins A, D, B-12 and B-2 (also known as riboflavin) — were gone. Riboflavin vanished from Cheerios.

It seems that food companies don't want to go to the extra trouble and expense of obtaining these vital nutrients if it means that there is even the slightest chance that genetically-modified yeast or chemical processes could be involved in the process.

Yes, because then they can't get the "non-GMO' label.

Quote:
So, instead of providing nutritious food, these companies seem to have embraced the "Science is Evil" meme and are now producing foods that are not as good for you as they once were.
[/quote]

They haven't embraced the "Science is Evil" meme. They have embraced the "foods with the official 'non-GMO' label sell well" meme. Nutritious food does not have to have vitamins added to it. Vitamins/vital nutrients are inherent in nutritious food. These nutrients were in the grain before the manufacturer removed them as part of processing. If a food has to have nutrients added to it in order to be nutritious, then it isn't nutritious food. It's the carcass of formerly nutritious food with vitamins added.

This doesn't show that non-GMO food is less nutritious. It shows that added vitamins are GMO. Food that hasn't had its' vitamins removed in the first place is very nutritious.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

It's easier to keep track of what's going into my body when everything isn't scientifically enhanced. I'd rather have less nutritious organic food and just take a daily vitamin. I'm skeptical of the food industry and controlled tests in general. The simpler things are the better.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:18 pm

Onyxaxe wrote:
It's easier to keep track of what's going into my body when everything isn't scientifically enhanced. I'd rather have less nutritious organic food and just take a daily vitamin. I'm skeptical of the food industry and controlled tests in general. The simpler things are the better.

If you're just eating actual food then it isn't less nutritious. The OP article is just about processed junk with no vitamins added being less nutritious than processed junk with vitamins added. But if you eat food that never had the vitamins removed in the first place (which it sounds like you are) then you will be better off than eating food that has to have vitamins added in order to have any vitamins in it.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2014, 5:36 pm

^^^^
Ding-ding-ding.

They're not adding vitamins-- they're adding them back in.

Make your own damn GrapeNuts.

http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-grape-nuts-2/

Make your own damn granola.

Save a bundle. Make them from relatively unprocessed ingredients, and save a bundle while getting better nutrition.

OK, sometimes I wonder if BigAg isn't fueling the whole "GMO-baaaaaad" thing just to put value back in what hadn't been selling well...

...at the same time, I'm skeptical all the same. I'm an old ASD hillbilly. I don't like new things. After they've been around for a generation or two and nothing terrible has happened, my grandkids can laugh at me while they eat it up. Until then, I guess that "I... AM... A CAVE MAN! !! !"

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2014, 6:49 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
^^^^
Ding-ding-ding.

They're not adding vitamins-- they're adding them back in.

Make your own damn GrapeNuts.

http://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/homemade-grape-nuts-2/

Make your own damn granola.

Save a bundle. Make them from relatively unprocessed ingredients, and save a bundle while getting better nutrition.

OK, sometimes I wonder if BigAg isn't fueling the whole "GMO-baaaaaad" thing just to put value back in what hadn't been selling well...

...at the same time, I'm skeptical all the same. I'm an old ASD hillbilly. I don't like new things. After they've been around for a generation or two and nothing terrible has happened, my grandkids can laugh at me while they eat it up. Until then, I guess that "I... AM... A CAVE MAN! ! ! !"

Thanks for the recipe. These used to be a pantry staple. That is until they started mixing gravel in there. Stuff started to break my teeth lol.

ed
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

NPR is now owned by the Koch brothers - I no longer trust anything they say.