Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 7:49 pm

He's about to be on the receiving end of a little thing we call the "Streisand Effect", should be interesting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2014, 8:53 pm

Dox47 wrote:
He's about to be on the receiving end of a little thing we call the "Streisand Effect", should be interesting.

"Streisand Effect?" Pardon my ignorance, but... what dat?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 2:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

It's what happens when someone, by attempting to suppress something, draws much greater attention to it than if they'd left it alone in the first place. It's named for an incident in which Barbara Streisand sued attempting to block the publication of aerial photos of her house, causing far people than would otherwise have even known they existed to go look at them. In this case, million of people who knew nothing about this movie are now talking about it, which is probably not what "Dear Leader" intended.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 2:42 am

Dox47 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

It's what happens when someone, by attempting to suppress something, draws much greater attention to it than if they'd left it alone in the first place. It's named for an incident in which Barbara Streisand sued attempting to block the publication of aerial photos of her house, causing far people than would otherwise have even known they existed to go look at them. In this case, million of people who knew nothing about this movie are now talking about it, which is probably not what "Dear Leader" intended.

Okay, thanks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 5:48 pm

According to the Daily Mail Sony's own execs found it a "desperately unfunny movie".
Maybe the dictator saved Sony from its own turkey. That's if Kim really is involved.

One can't help wondering if this isnt some kind of publicity hoax on the part of Sony itsself to bolster a mediocre movie.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 6:05 pm

I've heard that credit card thieves first make one or two small purchases to make sure the sales will go through. Perhaps something similar is going on here, and N. Korea is preparing to launch a much larger and more serious cyber-attack.
After seeing how the U.S. has dealt with this incident so far (by doing nothing) I wouldn't be surprised if China and several other countries are preparing their own attacks.

edit - spelling

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

I personally think the Sony statement was a rather lame attempt at saving face.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 9:34 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I've heard that credit card thieves first make one or two small purchases to make sure the sales will go through. Perhaps something similar is going on here, and N. Korea is preparing to launch a much larger and more serious cyber-attack.
After seeing how the U.S. has dealt with this incident so far (by doing nothing) I wouldn't be surprised if China and several other countries are preparing their own attacks.

edit - spelling

Appeasement never helped in a situation dealing with totalitarian governments.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 5:33 pm

YippySkippy wrote:

edit - spelling

OR, if they CIA is not moronic (...sadly, the verdict on that seems to be unfavourable), it's saving its anti-hacking techniques for more vital things than sony pictures, leaning back and checking out the enemy's tactics....

and, yes, Kimo-Jong Un is a dangerous moron, but also a despot with a country full of slaves, which makes him an unusually dangerous moron.