Florida school does "real" lockdown drill - with l

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Male
Posts: 280

14 Nov 2014, 9:11 pm

Parents were furious yesterday after a school in Winter Haven, FL did a lockdown "drill" - with no warning, and with police pointing unloaded AR-15s and loaded pistols at students! Kids frantically texted parents during the so-called "drill" thinking they were going to be shot at. I'd be furious too, if I was a parent. Our lockdown drills are not like this - they are usually non-emergency ones with dogs sniffing for drugs, not police officers bursting into classrooms with guns loaded. What if a teacher shot the "shooter"?
Also a great way that some wacko could cause a scene - they could yell "drill", with police gear on, firing into classrooms! This active shooter drill thing has gone out of control - fast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nati ... ter-drill/



Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,153
Location: סנטה ברברה

15 Nov 2014, 2:28 am

good way to scare them shitless and reinforce distrust of police officers.

very real chance someone (one of the very many uninformed) could have taken this as a real shooting and have shot the "shooter"

also, was it REALLY NECESSARY for a gun to be loaded?


_________________
❄join my discord pls❄

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...


BERNIE 2020 - cause it's not red vs. blue, it's the 1% vs. you


Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2009
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,197
Location: Sherbrooke, Québec, Canada

15 Nov 2014, 10:03 am

From TvTropes useful notes on gun safety. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UsefulNotes/GunSafety

Quote:
Never aim a gun at anyone or anything unless you understand and are willing to bear the moral and legal consequences of killing or destroying that target.


Quote:
Firearms are not reliably capable of causing non-lethal injury. Pulling the trigger means that you have decided you are willing to accept the legal and moral ramifications of killing the person or animal you are firing at. This bears repeating: A firearm is a lethal weapon. Never, under any circumstances, point a firearm, loaded or unloaded, at someone you are not willing to kill.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 30,663
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

15 Nov 2014, 2:21 pm

WAautisticguy wrote:
Parents were furious yesterday after a school in Winter Haven, FL did a lockdown "drill" - with no warning, and with police pointing unloaded AR-15s and loaded pistols at students! Kids frantically texted parents during the so-called "drill" thinking they were going to be shot at. I'd be furious too, if I was a parent. Our lockdown drills are not like this - they are usually non-emergency ones with dogs sniffing for drugs, not police officers bursting into classrooms with guns loaded. What if a teacher shot the "shooter"?
Also a great way that some wacko could cause a scene - they could yell "drill", with police gear on, firing into classrooms! This active shooter drill thing has gone out of control - fast.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nati ... ter-drill/


Wow, that sounds horrifying....I was in a real one and didn't even get a weapon pointed at me and have PTSD, I'd be angry to if I happened to have kids, live in flordia(which would never happen) and they went to that school.



Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 14,367
Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

16 Nov 2014, 5:18 am

What a joke, we live in a paranoid fascist country. The media, technology, and our government have effectively destroyed our culture and replaced it if one dominated by fear. What an awful time to be alive and it will only get worse most likely. These cops want to play soldier and we're the enemy.



AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Apr 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,297
Location: Houston, Texas

18 Nov 2014, 1:01 pm

Quote:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/nati ... ter-drill/

' . . . a Winter Haven middle school went into lockdown as two armed police officers burst into classrooms, guns drawn, leaving the unsuspecting children terrified ? and their parents furious. . . '



This is a very poor choice by officials who damn well should know better.

A lockdown drill is some unknown situation where you turn off the lights, barricade the door if you can, and then hunker down behind secure objects. And then in short order, like in two or three minutes, you inform the students that it was a drill and thank them for their cooperation. And that's it.

This thing where people burst in with guns is complete theatrical bullshit and is totally unnecessary. And as people have pointed out, it is much more counter-productive than positive.



Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Sep 2011
Age: 5
Gender: Female
Posts: 16,665

07 Dec 2014, 11:51 am

Do we know for sure that the guns were loaded?

Perhaps, for the drill, they were unloaded for safety.


_________________
Sylkat
Student Body President, Miskatonic University


Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,985
Location: Southeast U.S.A.

20 Dec 2014, 12:46 pm

From the Washington Post article:

Quote:
Winter Haven police told The Post that one of the officers had his duty firearm – a handgun – drawn. The gun was loaded, as required. The other officer was carrying an unloaded AR-15. According to Ray, one of her other children texted: “I thought he was going to shoot me.”

The school district said officers had “weapons pointed at the ground” during the drill. “Officers will not have weapons in their hands in future lockdown drills,” Gearey added.

If it's a drill that will necessitate pointing weapons at people they should ALWAYS use "Blue Guns". They are shaped just like all the common police/paramilitary small arms and are just for this type of scenario. Being molded of solid blue plastic, they are totally inert and do not have an intimidating appearance.
Image

When I read about s**t like this I can't help but think that a "drill" like that served a dual purpose; as a drill and also to instill "respect" (i.e. fear) of the police in the students. It's really common sense that you never point even an unloaded firearm at anyone you don't intend to shoot.


_________________
“Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.”
- William F. Buckley


lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Jan 2010
Age: 45
Gender: Female
Posts: 9,445
Location: In a cuckoo clock

22 Dec 2014, 2:31 pm

Are Americans just naturally paranoid? Where I live people think it's paranoid just to lock the door to your house. Which I do anyway, because I'm mildly paranoid but doesn't mean there aren't any people out there who might try to kill me. :P



Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 25 Mar 2014
Age: 22
Gender: Female
Posts: 28,153
Location: סנטה ברברה

22 Dec 2014, 6:33 pm

"Blue Guns" huh. i've not heard of those before. isn't it also required to mark the barrels of toy/airsoft weapons with orange?

lostonearth35 wrote:
Are Americans just naturally paranoid? Where I live people think it's paranoid just to lock the door to your house. Which I do anyway, because I'm mildly paranoid but doesn't mean there aren't any people out there who might try to kill me. :P


what stuff do you do that would make anyone want to kill you? :P


_________________
❄join my discord pls❄

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...


BERNIE 2020 - cause it's not red vs. blue, it's the 1% vs. you


mpe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 26 Oct 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 379
Location: Exeter

22 Dec 2014, 11:12 pm

Raptor wrote:
If it's a drill that will necessitate pointing weapons at people they should ALWAYS use "Blue Guns". They are shaped just like all the common police/paramilitary small arms and are just for this type of scenario. Being molded of solid blue plastic, they are totally inert and do not have an intimidating appearance.

So what stops criminals, including terrorists, painting their guns blue?



Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,044
Location: Seattle

23 Dec 2014, 2:24 am

mpe wrote:
So what stops criminals, including terrorists, painting their guns blue?


Nothing, what's your point?


_________________
Murum Aries Attigit


cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,429
Location: Boulder CO

23 Dec 2014, 3:00 am

Jacoby wrote:
What a joke, we live in a paranoid fascist country. The media, technology, and our government have effectively destroyed our culture and replaced it if one dominated by fear. What an awful time to be alive and it will only get worse most likely. These cops want to play soldier and we're the enemy.


As an ethical hacker I don't believe technology itself drives us towards fascism. Not that we aren't becoming a fascist nation. Trouble is, all these kids are being conditioned to use technologies which make their every thought, quality or statement searchable by the sickos threatening them at gunpoint. I'd bet anything those cops read every single horrified text message they drummed up. Some of the most promising coders I've seen in our education system sing the praises of Facebook, they might become so embroiled building on huge codebases as to not realize in their lifetimes the hands their data falls into.

Most people use technology for communication and profit. I fear very nearly everyone might permanently forget to dig past the infrastructure.

edit: Hot diggety daffodil this is cberg's 1337th post! :ninja: :jester: :salut:


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen: