Northeastern US braces for snowmageddon!!

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2015, 10:04 am

I usually don't buy into the hype from The Weather Channel. But this one should be huge based upon the analysis of my weather geek friends.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 11:30 am

When we have flurries they close the schools. Last year we got a couple of inches and everything was shut down for a couple days. I can't imagine living somewhere that it snows that much. I don't see how you can function in it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:14 pm

This looks big. They're talking about feet of snow, power outages. I'm going to gather some firewood.

BitterGeek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2015, 12:29 pm

I'm right in the area of 25 inches predicted in central MA. Evaluating our ability to shelter in place ...

Andreger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 12:44 pm

In Philadelphia there's just light snow so as in South Jersey maybe except very coastal area.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 2:32 pm

Only 3-6 inches expected here, in Baltimore.

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:12 pm

As a Floridian can someone please explain what this "snow" is that you keep getting a lot of? :roll:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 3:44 pm

If you don't want snow, feel free to come to Portland. The weather here is unseasonably warm, meaning that the weather here is more like March than typical January weather. :roll:

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2015, 4:37 pm

I'm in northern MA. Usually once or twice a winter we get a huge nor'easter with a foot or more of snow. This looks to be two feet in most places. The cities are used to it, so the plows and sanders are going to be deployed later today and will keep going throughout the storm. Electrical service is more iffy. If you lose that, you'll have to wait for the storm to let up.

Basic advice is, in something like this, if you can stay home, stay home. Have enough food for two or three days. Have candles, flashlights, a radio with battery backup. Get your phones charged up. It's inconvenient and will be more dangerous the less you're prepared. But it's not Armageddon.

Remember last winter around the Great Lakes? They had several big storms and I think had to dig out from 4 to 6 feet or more in places. But they made it.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:57 am

Here in Northern New Jersey, I'm guessing by the looks of it that there is about 1.5-2' of snow on the ground. It honestly wasn't quite as bad as it originally was thought out to be, and the local news station is saying it themselves. But, as they are saying themselves, it is better to predict more than 2' and get 12" than to predict 1' and get 3'.

alex
Developer
Developer

27 Jan 2015, 11:05 am

The high today is supposed to be 72 degrees here in Los Angeles so no snow for me. :(

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 11:20 am

alex wrote:
The high today is supposed to be 72 degrees here in Los Angeles so no snow for me. :(

My whole life I have lived on the east coast so I have never known what it is like to have year round warm weather.

There are plenty of people here in the Northeast who are 'snowbirds' that move to homes they have in Florida or wherever is warm during the winter. I personally like all the seasons and find a beauty in all of them.

The snowstorm should be done with New Jersey by noon today (41 minutes from now) though it seems to still be hitting Long Island based on the weather reports.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:13 pm

AntDog wrote:
As a Floridian can someone please explain what this "snow" is that you keep getting a lot of? :roll:

This.

OnPorpoise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 7:16 pm

It's mostly over up here. The area got between 26 and 30 inches. Still have power, so I'm good. But I'm now ready for spring. Of course the weather is saying more snow (only 1 to 3 inches this time) on Friday but another storm next Monday and they're not telling how much. Too far out and they're probably afraid to guess.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2015, 6:06 pm

All I'm concerned about is whether the bearded guy ran out of beer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 11:13 am

They were forecasting 2 feet in NYC. Most places in the city got around a foot; we dodged a bullet.

This was one of those "touch and go" type of weather systems. The path of systems are determined by complex forces above and (at times) below ground level. Even meteorologist are sometimes at a loss as to what exactly those forces are.

If the storm tracked, say, about 15 miles more west than it did, we would have had our 2 feet (or more).

Western parts of the city got even less--as low as about 5 inches in Staten Island.