Autism Link off the day - baby teeth

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 12:49 am

Baby teeth show how exposure to various metals may be linked to autism, study finds

Quote:
The small study examined baby teeth from 32 sets of twins to see if levels of lead and other metals correlated with an increased risk of developing autism.

The researchers looked at metals that are key nutrients such as zinc and manganese, as well as toxic metals like lead. They were also able to estimate at what point in the child’s development they were exposed to certain metals and at what levels.

They used baby teeth from 32 pairs of twins to establish a pattern of metal uptake. Of these 32 pairs of twins, six had only one twin with autism spectrum disorder, seven had both twins had autism spectrum disorder and 19 were unaffected by autism spectrum disorder. The researchers found smaller differences in the metal intake patterns when both of the twins had autism. They found significant differences in pairs where one sibling was diagnosed with autism.

The researchers were able to show differences in six metals including lead, zinc, tin, chromium and manganese out of the ten metals studied and autism rates. Both lead and manganese, which were statistically significant in how they related to autism risk.

Lead levels were consistently higher from 10 weeks before birth to 20 weeks after birth in children with autism spectrum disorder than their non-autism spectrum disorder counterparts.

The greatest difference was observed at 15 weeks after the twins were born: lead levels were 1.5 times higher in children with autism spectrum disorder than in their co-twins.

Manganese levels were consistently lower in children with autism spectrum disorder during two critical windows: 10 weeks prenatal to birth and then 5 to 20 weeks after birth. The greatest difference was noted at 15 weeks, when manganese levels were 2.5 times lower in autism spectrum disorder cases.

Anybody notice that a lot of these "links" that have been studied lately indirectly blame the mother?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 5:20 am

Most studies lately blame metals.

There's a growing evidence that Autism is strong influenced or caused by environmental factors.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2017, 6:02 am

i wouldn't take newsy outlets with scientified infotainment for more than it is,

when did they take the teeth, did they wait till they fell out? by that time its not baby teeth anymore
or how to do these tests prenatal? is that a thing? maybe testing's done in flint, my guess?