150 dead after Germanwings jet crashes in the French Alps

Page 8 of 10 [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 11:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
starfox wrote:
Hmm. If you guys where in his situation what would your reaction be?

I certainly wouldn't hurt 150 innocent people.

Me, NEITHER!! I was too chicken to kill MYSELF, when I thought about it, about 35 years ago----mainly, because I didn't want to hurt my FAMILY----I CERTAINLY couldn't kill someone ELSE (unless it was in self-defense, of course)!

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:24 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Unless it was a meltdown. Anyway there is an unconfirmed report he told his girlfriend something similar to I will be famous someday. Nothing about ASD in reports so far and that is fine with me.

Reprogram the autopilot in a meltdown?
Lock out keypad access to the flight deck in a meltdown?

I don't think so.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 12:36 pm

Adamantium wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Unless it was a meltdown. Anyway there is an unconfirmed report he told his girlfriend something similar to I will be famous someday. Nothing about ASD in reports so far and that is fine with me.

Reprogram the autopilot in a meltdown?
Lock out keypad access to the flight deck in a meltdown?

I don't think so.

Maybe if it's instinct.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 1:16 pm

CNN has just reported that Lubitz's doctor had called his vision problems psychosomatic. If true, then I guess he was mentally ill after all. Not that Narcissistic Personality Disorder and mental illness can't coexist in the same person.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:32 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
spartian300 wrote:
I am worried that people will say he had Aspergers, and say he was insane because of it.

The rare autistic that becomes a killer uses his/her natural abilities (attunement to fine details and intense focus) to methodically plan and execute. This was too spur of the moment to be caused by an autistic.

From what "I" heard, it was NOT, seemingly, "spur-of-the-moment", as he told his former girlfriend, quite awhile ago, that he was gonna do something that would make everybody know his name----that seems "thought-out", to ME! No one, that "I" know of, has said anything about it being Autism / Aspergers, though.

I'm pretty sure it was spur of the moment based exclusively on the fact that he had to have sole control of the airplane to down it, meaning the pilot had to leave the cockpit. There's no guarantee the guy leaves his seat every flight, even if he habitually does, there's no guarantee that it would happen every time. Lubitz saw an opportunity and he took it.

Also, ex-girlfriends make up tons of s**t, especially when they get cameras/attention/15 minutes of fame. Even if he did claim "he was gonna do something that would make everybody know his name" doesn't prove that he had a plan, just that he had intent. Show me a suicide note, manifesto, any documentation really, that showed he had a plan.

I just don't see autism in his actions. If he were autistic he wouldn't just hijack and crash the plane, he'd hijack it and do something more clever than just crash it. I mean look at Lanza, Holmes, and the Columbine shooters, all whom the media have at times claimed have/had Asperger's Syndrome-- those attacks were all well planned and crafted (heinous, but well planned).

There's too much variable and chance on Lubitz gaining sole control of the plane for him to have a well thought out plan. Now he may have fantasized about it before hand, and seized the opportunity when it arose, but that's not planning it's merely fantasy+opportunity to act it out. My lay opinion on the matter is that dude was depressed about losing his career due to the sight issue, saw an opportunity to share his depression with the world, and took it.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 4:56 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
spartian300 wrote:
I am worried that people will say he had Aspergers, and say he was insane because of it.

The rare autistic that becomes a killer uses his/her natural abilities (attunement to fine details and intense focus) to methodically plan and execute. This was too spur of the moment to be caused by an autistic.

From what "I" heard, it was NOT, seemingly, "spur-of-the-moment", as he told his former girlfriend, quite awhile ago, that he was gonna do something that would make everybody know his name----that seems "thought-out", to ME! No one, that "I" know of, has said anything about it being Autism / Aspergers, though.

I'm pretty sure it was spur of the moment based exclusively on the fact that he had to have sole control of the airplane to down it, meaning the pilot had to leave the cockpit. There's no guarantee the guy leaves his seat every flight, even if he habitually does, there's no guarantee that it would happen every time. Lubitz saw an opportunity and he took it.

Also, ex-girlfriends make up tons of s**t, especially when they get cameras/attention/15 minutes of fame. Even if he did claim "he was gonna do something that would make everybody know his name" doesn't prove that he had a plan, just that he had intent. Show me a suicide note, manifesto, any documentation really, that showed he had a plan.

I just don't see autism in his actions. If he were autistic he wouldn't just hijack and crash the plane, he'd hijack it and do something more clever than just crash it. I mean look at Lanza, Holmes, and the Columbine shooters, all whom the media have at times claimed have/had Asperger's Syndrome-- those attacks were all well planned and crafted (heinous, but well planned).

There's too much variable and chance on Lubitz gaining sole control of the plane for him to have a well thought out plan. Now he may have fantasized about it before hand, and seized the opportunity when it arose, but that's not planning it's merely fantasy+opportunity to act it out. My lay opinion on the matter is that dude was depressed about losing his career due to the sight issue, saw an opportunity to share his depression with the world, and took it.

It was planned all right. He was encouraging the senior pilot to leave the cockpit saying he had everything under control. He then locked the pilot out from returning to the cockpit to give him enough time to crash the plane. He had an obsession with the Alps which just happened to be where he crashed the plane. If the captain hadn't left the cockpit he wouldn't have taken over the controls and so it would have been the next flight or the next flight after that he would have crashed the plane.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 5:14 pm

Again, that's not really a plan, that's being opportunistic. They are two different things. When 9/11 happened you think the terrorists said, "oh there's a military guy on this plane, let's just postpone it until tomorrow." No, they had a plan and they executed it. Lubitz had a suicidal fantasy and when opportunity came along he took it. I don't see this guy spending weeks/months planning this event (ala James Holmes, Adam Lanza, or the Columbine killers), if he did spend weeks planning he came up with a pretty simple/sh***y plan-- all the more reason he's most likely not autistic, which is my main point after all.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 6:34 pm

I'd look for a parachute.

Nebogipfel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2015, 8:01 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
spartian300 wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Quote:
Confirmation bias, also called myside bias, is the tendency to search for, interpret, or recall information in a way that confirms one's beliefs or hypotheses. It is a type of cognitive bias and a systematic error of inductive reasoning. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 6:41 am

For 8 minutes there were recorded screams from the passengers, for 8 minutes they were terrified and then they died. 149 people are now dead, so many families are now forever destroyed. Stop making excuses for Lubitz, he deserves none.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 6:52 am

Bondkatten wrote:
For 8 minutes there were recorded screams from the passengers, for 8 minutes they were terrified and then they died. 149 people are now dead, so many families are now forever destroyed. Stop making excuses for Lubitz, he deserves none.

Small point: This is not what has been reported. The passengers were only sufficiently aware of their danger to scream in terror for a few seconds, according to those who have heard the recordings. Not that this detail diminishes the magnitude of the crime.

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 6:55 am

People die everyday. While it's better if everyone is always good to each other the truth is humans do commit violence. When violence happens we shouldn't act so outraged and deny that we are like that.

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:11 am

Adamantium wrote:
Small point: This is not what has been reported. The passengers were only sufficiently aware of their danger to scream in terror for a few seconds, according to those who have heard the recordings. Not that this detail diminishes the magnitude of the crime.

I read that newspapers reported that on the black box there were screams from 10:32 until 10:40 when the plane crashed. I don't know if it is the truth, many things are still unsure. But imagine the pilot was desperately trying to get in the cockpit; this is going to scare the passengers.

Bondkatten
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 7:16 am

starfox wrote:
People die everyday. While it's better if everyone is always good to each other the truth is humans do commit violence. When violence happens we shouldn't act so outraged and deny that we are like that.

I cannot understand what you are saying...it is a minority of humans that are capable of such violence.

So you would be understanding and not outraged if it was your family/friends that were lost in this tragedy?

starfox
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

I would be but in the grand scheme of things it does not mattrr

Destruction and creation are 2 sides of the same coin.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2015, 8:37 am

Bondkatten wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

I read that newspapers reported that on the black box there were screams from 10:32 until 10:40 when the plane crashed. I don't know if it is the truth, many things are still unsure. But imagine the pilot was desperately trying to get in the cockpit; this is going to scare the passengers.

Yes, that makes sense.

I know Bild reported this, but the French investigator said in a conference that the screaming was only for the last few seconds. He may have been lying to protect the feelings of the families, but until there is something more official than the Bild report, I won't believe that version over the one the investigator gave in the press conference.