Autistic 11-year-old arrested for leaving class early

Page 2 of 4 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 May 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,980

07 May 2015, 7:57 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
very familiar story to me

if you live in America and have the means don't send your kid to public school

Home schooling works.

Yeah, what makes you competent to teach children??? My father was a certified teacher and even he said he wasn't qualified to teach outside of his specialty...


Home schooling more and more is used by parents who don't want their children exposed to the "godless evils" of socialism, evolution, and racial equality. In other words, the home schooling curriculum is pretty low browed to say the least.

I was home schooled at one point, and that was definitely not my experience. I've grown to be a rather open-minded person who takes issue when people don't treat others with respect, regardless of what they believe or lack thereof.


_________________
Writer. Author.


AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

07 May 2015, 8:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
very familiar story to me

if you live in America and have the means don't send your kid to public school

Home schooling works.

Yeah, what makes you competent to teach children??? My father was a certified teacher and even he said he wasn't qualified to teach outside of his specialty...

Home schooling more and more is used by parents who don't want their children exposed to the "godless evils" of socialism, evolution, and racial equality. In other words, the home schooling curriculum is pretty low browed to say the least.

The "vast right-wing conspiracy" of Scholastic.com shows that one Vermont mother (clearly a Republican) found it to be beneficial for her family, especially her children ( http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=1345 ). As for my own state, the conditions for home schooling are quite easy ( http://www.uhea.org/legal-issues/utahs- ... oling-laws ) and allow for extracurricular activities and dual enrollment to provide certain benefits offered by nearby schools while the academic curriculum is taught by one or both parents.

Utah allows for flexibility: Families may teach their children independently or combine their academic efforts at one neighbor's home where parents teach subjects in which they might have majored in college. In Utah and nationally, there are businesses which publish curriculum instruction manuals, textbooks and other materials for purchase. Again, families which combine their efforts are able to reuse the materials for each successive younger class of students. Sounds a lot like those liberal hippie food co-ops of the 1970s where neighborhoods combined their efforts to do for themselves what they believed wasn't being done by others (like corporations and governments).

Most interesting are the facts that home-schooled students outperform their public-schooled peers ( http://www.nheri.org/research/research- ... oling.html ).

Hey, if parents don't have the time to home school their children, or choose to avoid home schooling, they may continue to let the government do the job for them. But, don't complain when the next president or governor is a hostile Republican who might try to cut education funding.


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Last edited by AspieUtah on 07 May 2015, 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,573
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

07 May 2015, 8:20 pm

...:-(:-( .



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,004
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 May 2015, 8:30 pm

Jaden wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
very familiar story to me

if you live in America and have the means don't send your kid to public school

Home schooling works.

Yeah, what makes you competent to teach children??? My father was a certified teacher and even he said he wasn't qualified to teach outside of his specialty...


Home schooling more and more is used by parents who don't want their children exposed to the "godless evils" of socialism, evolution, and racial equality. In other words, the home schooling curriculum is pretty low browed to say the least.

I was home schooled at one point, and that was definitely not my experience. I've grown to be a rather open-minded person who takes issue when people don't treat others with respect, regardless of what they believe or lack thereof.


To be sure, there are exceptions to every rule, especially before the growing political divide of today. It's just that today, the home schooling movement is very much to the political and religious right.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

07 May 2015, 8:33 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
To be sure, there are exceptions to every rule, especially before the growing political divide of today. It's just that today, the home schooling movement is very much to the political and religious right.

That should please you as it takes those Republican kids out of range from influencing the Democratic kids. :D
In my state, at least, home-school parents continue to pay education taxes while adding to the burden of the costs of their own home-schooling. In other words, no one but them home-school families are affected by the costs of doing business. With that wind-fall of extra, unused taxes, I am certain that public-schools don't mind too much, either.


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 817

07 May 2015, 10:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
very familiar story to me

if you live in America and have the means don't send your kid to public school

Home schooling works.

Yeah, what makes you competent to teach children??? My father was a certified teacher and even he said he wasn't qualified to teach outside of his specialty...


Home schooling more and more is used by parents who don't want their children exposed to the "godless evils" of socialism, evolution, and racial equality. In other words, the home schooling curriculum is pretty low browed to say the least.


"There are no educators. As a thinker, one should speak only of self-education. The education of youth by others is either an experiment, conducted on one as yet unknown and unknowable, or a leveling on principle, to make the new character, whatever it may be, conform to the habits and customs that prevail: in both cases, therefore, something unworthy of the thinker." - Nietzsche

In other words, most education is low-brow. Public education is defined by mediocrity. THe public school, being directly suserviant to the state is also tethered to the state's "truth" - "The State is never concerned with the truth, but only with the truth which is useful to it, or to be more precise, with anything which is useful to it whether it is truth, half-truth, or error. "

I also think that is actually a baseless stereotype based on inaccurate media accounts. The homeschoolers in my area function like a private school to the point where they have classes at different peoples houses or in large groups at public community centers or whatnot. Many of the homeschool teachers work for NASA or the National Laboratory.
The "unschooling" method has also become rather popular and fundamentalist groups do not like unschooling much, not enough room for doctrine pushing.


_________________
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,004
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 May 2015, 11:25 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
To be sure, there are exceptions to every rule, especially before the growing political divide of today. It's just that today, the home schooling movement is very much to the political and religious right.

That should please you as it takes those Republican kids out of range from influencing the Democratic kids. :D
In my state, at least, home-school parents continue to pay education taxes while adding to the burden of the costs of their own home-schooling. In other words, no one but them home-school families are affected by the costs of doing business. With that wind-fall of extra, unused taxes, I am certain that public-schools don't mind too much, either.


Despite what some of the leading lights of the Republican party might say about the pitfalls of public education, most rank-and-file Republicans support public education.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,004
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 May 2015, 11:29 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
pcuser wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
very familiar story to me

if you live in America and have the means don't send your kid to public school

Home schooling works.

Yeah, what makes you competent to teach children??? My father was a certified teacher and even he said he wasn't qualified to teach outside of his specialty...


Home schooling more and more is used by parents who don't want their children exposed to the "godless evils" of socialism, evolution, and racial equality. In other words, the home schooling curriculum is pretty low browed to say the least.


"There are no educators. As a thinker, one should speak only of self-education. The education of youth by others is either an experiment, conducted on one as yet unknown and unknowable, or a leveling on principle, to make the new character, whatever it may be, conform to the habits and customs that prevail: in both cases, therefore, something unworthy of the thinker." - Nietzsche

In other words, most education is low-brow. Public education is defined by mediocrity. THe public school, being directly suserviant to the state is also tethered to the state's "truth" - "The State is never concerned with the truth, but only with the truth which is useful to it, or to be more precise, with anything which is useful to it whether it is truth, half-truth, or error. "

I also think that is actually a baseless stereotype based on inaccurate media accounts. The homeschoolers in my area function like a private school to the point where they have classes at different peoples houses or in large groups at public community centers or whatnot. Many of the homeschool teachers work for NASA or the National Laboratory.
The "unschooling" method has also become rather popular and fundamentalist groups do not like unschooling much, not enough room for doctrine pushing.


To be sure, the Idaho schools that want to ax Steinbeck's Of Mice And Men from English lit classes, because of the use of mild profanity (not to mention Steinbeck's own left wing politics), have proven that they want to drown their children in mediocrity.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

08 May 2015, 7:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
...today, the home schooling movement is very much to the political and religious right.

Kraichgauer wrote:
...most rank-and-file Republicans support public education.

Well, which is it? Hehe. I like you, Kraichgauer! I really like you. :)


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,004
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

08 May 2015, 9:29 am

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
...today, the home schooling movement is very much to the political and religious right.

Kraichgauer wrote:
...most rank-and-file Republicans support public education.

Well, which is it? Hehe. I like you, Kraichgauer! I really like you. :)


It's both. A great many ordinary Republicans are more and more disconnected from the extremists running their party.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 817

11 May 2015, 6:09 pm

I am neither democrat or republican. I do not support public education. Public education will always be mediocre at its best.
At the moment, the math curriculum uses nomenclature that is centuries obsolete. Not all of the geometry has been updated and still uses flawed propositions. Conjecture and counterexample (essentially the math equivalent of the scientific method) is still rarely ever mentioned in the mathematics classes and when mentioned is only as a footnote.

I hate to imagine what is wrong with the fundamental curriculum of other classes.


_________________
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,004
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

11 May 2015, 6:22 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
I am neither democrat or republican. I do not support public education. Public education will always be mediocre at its best.
At the moment, the math curriculum uses nomenclature that is centuries obsolete. Not all of the geometry has been updated and still uses flawed propositions. Conjecture and counterexample (essentially the math equivalent of the scientific method) is still rarely ever mentioned in the mathematics classes and when mentioned is only as a footnote.

I hate to imagine what is wrong with the fundamental curriculum of other classes.


Yet public education is the best way to educate the populace. Without it, huge swaths of our population would be without education. And while American public education often leaves much to be desired, public schools in other countries are very often excellent.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 20 Jun 2014
Age: 57
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,118
Location: Brigham City, Utah

11 May 2015, 6:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
...public education is the best way to educate the populace....

Even with facilities, meals, books, supplies and teachers being financed by the "lowest-bid" process? Maybe the White House should take the Japanese model where a business's CEO (or U.S. president) may be paid only up to seven times what the business's least-paid worker (or teacher) is paid. While I believe that this scheme shouldn't be adopted among some small businesses, I am all for it in the public sector.


_________________
Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 39,004
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

11 May 2015, 6:34 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
...public education is the best way to educate the populace....

Even with facilities, meals, books, supplies and teachers being financed by the "lowest-bid" process? Maybe the White House should take the Japanese model where a business's CEO (or U.S. president) may be paid only up to seven times what the business's least-paid worker (or teacher) is paid. While I believe that this scheme shouldn't be adopted among some small businesses, I am all for it in the public sector.


I think teachers don't make nearly enough, and deserve more money, if only to attract a better class of teachers.
As for caps on the pay of CEOs - I think that's a wonderful idea.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Aug 2014
Gender: Female
Posts: 817

11 May 2015, 6:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
...public education is the best way to educate the populace....

Even with facilities, meals, books, supplies and teachers being financed by the "lowest-bid" process? Maybe the White House should take the Japanese model where a business's CEO (or U.S. president) may be paid only up to seven times what the business's least-paid worker (or teacher) is paid. While I believe that this scheme shouldn't be adopted among some small businesses, I am all for it in the public sector.


I think teachers don't make nearly enough, and deserve more money, if only to attract a better class of teachers.
As for caps on the pay of CEOs - I think that's a wonderful idea.


And also you'd need to reform "teacher's insurance." My father is insured $2 million in teaching insurance because frivalous lawsuits against teachers is so incredibly common. Often it is the good teachers who face lawsuits these days. A large chunk of the teacher's wage is taken for the insurance.


_________________
Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x