Freddie Gray----Latest Developments in Investigation.....

Page 1 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 12:22 pm

I thought I would give a BALTIMORE report, on this national news item, since that is where I reside.....

WARNING: If you have a weak stomach, or have sensory issues, it might not be a good idea to continue to read this post----the news made me feel sick to my stomach.....

First-of-all, I haven't heard a national report that has specified that Freddie's spine was EIGHTY percent severed. Now, IMO, that's really scary!

Secondly, this morning, in a segment of the local newscast, regarding this case, the reporter / investigator seemed to suggest that Freddie sustained his injury during the ride in the van, en route to the police station----but, I disagree! As the first article explains, the police had Freddie on the ground, face-down, with the cop's knee in his back, to hold him there----totally acceptable, IMO----BUT, I'm thinking that THAT is, in fact, when the injury occurred, and NOT when he was in transport, sans a seatbelt, to the police station----as is suggested by the second article:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/police-release-timeline-in-arrest-of-freddie-gray/32400924

In the article above, there is a quote, from a bystander:

"Once he laid on the ground flat with his hands up, the police took his knee and put it down in his back, bent it, bent his legs, put him in handcuffs....."

Now, I'm not REAL clear on what exactly the person was trying to say, in the above quote----but, here's what I'm thinking.....

I'm thinking that it's the body's natural reaction to lift the head, while one is on their stomach and putting their arms over their head----and that that puts a strain / strange curvature, on the spine. I'm also thinking that if the cops jerked his arms back, to handcuff him, that would, indeed cause his spine to snap. I'm no doctor, though, but.....

I don't think it happened IN THE VAN, as this article suggests:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/iteam-examines-call-for-medical-help-in-freddie-gray-case/32559800

I think it happened at THE TIME OF HIS ARREST----when they had him, on the ground. The police have ALSO said the paramedics should've been called sooner, to aid Freddie----but, FIRST the police called the paramedics to aid someone with a broken arm----meanwhile, the article says that Freddie was unconscious, at the time of the call regarding the broken arm----OMG!!

It's bad enough, to be shot-to-death, on the spot----no MATTER how / why it occurred----but, to have your spine SNAPPED, and die a week later----OMG!!

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 10:30 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
I thought I would give a BALTIMORE report, on this national news item, since that is where I reside.....

WARNING: If you have a weak stomach, or have sensory issues, it might not be a good idea to continue to read this post----the news made me feel sick to my stomach.....

First-of-all, I haven't heard a national report that has specified that Freddie's spine was EIGHTY percent severed. Now, IMO, that's really scary!

Secondly, this morning, in a segment of the local newscast, regarding this case, the reporter / investigator seemed to suggest that Freddie sustained his injury during the ride in the van, en route to the police station----but, I disagree! As the first article explains, the police had Freddie on the ground, face-down, with the cop's knee in his back, to hold him there----totally acceptable, IMO----BUT, I'm thinking that THAT is, in fact, when the injury occurred, and NOT when he was in transport, sans a seatbelt, to the police station----as is suggested by the second article:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/police-release-timeline-in-arrest-of-freddie-gray/32400924

In the article above, there is a quote, from a bystander:

"Once he laid on the ground flat with his hands up, the police took his knee and put it down in his back, bent it, bent his legs, put him in handcuffs....."

Now, I'm not REAL clear on what exactly the person was trying to say, in the above quote----but, here's what I'm thinking.....

I'm thinking that it's the body's natural reaction to lift the head, while one is on their stomach and putting their arms over their head----and that that puts a strain / strange curvature, on the spine. I'm also thinking that if the cops jerked his arms back, to handcuff him, that would, indeed cause his spine to snap. I'm no doctor, though, but.....

I don't think it happened IN THE VAN, as this article suggests:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/iteam-examines-call-for-medical-help-in-freddie-gray-case/32559800

I think it happened at THE TIME OF HIS ARREST----when they had him, on the ground. The police have ALSO said the paramedics should've been called sooner, to aid Freddie----but, FIRST the police called the paramedics to aid someone with a broken arm----meanwhile, the article says that Freddie was unconscious, at the time of the call regarding the broken arm----OMG!!

It's bad enough, to be shot-to-death, on the spot----no MATTER how / why it occurred----but, to have your spine SNAPPED, and die a week later----OMG!!

The cell phone video was really difficult to watch because like you I think he was injured before he was taken to the van and to think he had those injuries and to that extent while he was being dragged into that van - it's just horrible to think someone had to go through something like that. What could the guy have done that was so horrible to deserve to be dragged along like that with those types of injuries? Can you imagine the level of pain? And what did he do - run away? Folks, merely running doesn't deserve that type of treatment. Even shooting him would have been better than dragging him away with a broken spine or neck.

We need to really think about how we treat each other because it appears things are getting worse and worse. We should not tolerate it in our society. We need to say torture is not an acceptable option.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 11:03 pm

When you behave uncivilized, you're often treated that way (when police are tasked with a high crime area, you have an "us versus them" mentality).

Yeah, it's not fair, but I can't see how it can be changed until a specific group in the US changes, as when you pull the police back and emasculate them, you've lost that area and you then have to fight for it if you want it back (with even more violence).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 5:28 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
What could the guy have done that was so horrible to deserve to be dragged along like that with those types of injuries? Can you imagine the level of pain? And what did he do - run away? Folks, merely running doesn't deserve that type of treatment. Even shooting him would have been better than dragging him away with a broken spine or neck.

On the newscasts, here, there were some policemen on bikes patrolling a known drug-dealer hang-out; the report said that when Freddie made eye contact with one of the police officers, he ran----and, police gave chase----chasing him a couple of blocks. I must say, though, that I think it was an accident that his neck got broken, because of what I said before about the position of Freddie's head, when he had his hands over his head. I agree it would have been better to shoot him.....

They said, on the newscast last night, that they (the reporters) saw the police being alot more careful with people, as they put them into a paddy wagon, now----but, AGAIN, I don't think that's when Freddie got hurt!! I don't understand why people can't see that! He was CLEARLY having a problem using his legs, as the police put him INTO the van----'course, that IS a common way for criminals to resist arrest (refusing to walk).

Dillogic wrote:
When you behave uncivilized, you're often treated that way (when police are tasked with a high crime area, you have an "us versus them" mentality).

Yeah, it's not fair, but I can't see how it can be changed until a specific group in the US changes, as when you pull the police back and emasculate them, you've lost that area and you then have to fight for it if you want it back (with even more violence).

Yep, I totally agree----that's exactly what I see happening, now..... I see oppression going in the opposite direction, and people aren't gonna take it, anymore----it's worrisome.....

Last night, the EIGHTH day of protests, there was MAJOR violence and destruction! The police were being attacked from every angle----people were throwing bricks, rocks, bottles, large metal objects, and huge, metal, fire-filled trash cans, at them. People were seen walking down the street with bricks held high, over their heads----as if to say "We're coming for you". They smashed police cars and POVs (Privately Owned Vehicles); they smashed one car, and pulled a woman out of it and threw her in the street; they demolished a 7-11, and a Subway Sandwich shop; they smashed a bank window, and the window of another store..... When it was time for fans to enter the stadium for the Orioles game, the police had to barricade the protestors, and rush fans into the stadium----and then, when the game was over, the fans weren't allowed to leave. No serious injuries were reported----and, at least 12 arrests were made.

Apparently, there's this large group of people who go from "incident" to incident, INCITING VIOLENCE----they started with the Trayvon Martin case, then the Ferguson situation, then the New York incident, etc.----and every one, in-between. The people of Baltimore have been protesting, PEACEFULLY, all-this-time----but, this group (read, "gang") WANTS violence! Freddie's cousin was BEGGING people to stop all the violence; she said, something like: "Smashing people's businesses, that had nothing to do with this, is not the way to bring justice. What help are you gonna be, when you're in jail?". She was so upset by everything that was going-on, that she passed-out, in the street. Then, Freddie's twin, Fredrika (sp? The "i" is pronounced like "ee".) spoke at the Mayor's press conference, and asked everyone to PLEASE stop all the violence----and, that "Freddie wouldn't want this"----and, she also said that "doing all this violence isn't the way to make things, right".

It was a sad, sad night, last night----you could, clearly, see the emotion on the Mayor's face----I don't know if it was disgust, anger, disappointment----probably "all-of-the-above"..... I watched the coverage for over an hour, and then I just couldn't handle it, anymore.....

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 8:49 pm

^^Yeah, large numbers of thrill-sekers and bandits converge on these protests to take advantage of the overwhelmed police force.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 5:31 pm

Quote:
BALTIMORE (Reuters) - Seven Baltimore police officers were injured on Monday as rioters threw bricks, broke windows, looted businesses and burned patrol cars in violent protests following the funeral of a black man who died after he was injured in police custody.
Baltimore Police Captain Eric Kowalczyk said at a briefing that one of the injured police officers was unresponsive and several had broken bones.

Earlier, police urged officers to take steps to ensure their safety after they reported receiving a "credible threat" that several gangs were planning to try to "take out" law enforcement officers.

Violence erupts after funeral of Baltimore man who died in police custody

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 6:27 pm

Full scale rioting has erupted with arson and looting and the National guard has been activated and a State of Emergency declared. I hope Campin_Cat is ok

Latest updates from the Freddie Gray case in Baltimore Live - Baltimore Sun

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 6:39 pm

I couldn't watch past the first few seconds.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:39 pm

Yeah, I'm here----I'm okay----but, I'm scared / choking-back tears..... I'm watching "Breaking News"..... The National Guard has INDEED been called-in..... They've pretty much destroyed a mall, other malls in the area have all closed-down, they set a CVS on fire; they're walking-down the street, setting POVs on fire..... NO ONE is allowed to be on the street, except for medical emergencies, and work!! I think they said about 15 police officers have been injured----some, seriously. They have people on camera carrying ARMFULS of merchandise from stores, and loading them into cars. There are cars on-fire, EVERYWHERE!! All the local-area schools have cancelled all field trips, to the city.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:45 pm

Thankyou for posting that video, androbot01!!

When I said "everywhere"----I meant "everywhere in that area".....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:56 pm

We, as of this minute, are in "A State of Emergency". This has now moved to east Baltimore, where a large building has been set on-fire. There is a juvenile curfew, from 10pm - 5am, as it has been reported that high school aged people started this. 27 arrests have been made.....

The National Guard is speaking to us, now.....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:04 pm

The building that is burning has now caught the building next to it, on-fire..... There is another building on-fire, about a block and a half away..... This is about 6-7 blocks east of Johns Hopkins Hospital center..... The Johns Hopkins people just texted that there are masked gunmen with hoods, and to stay off the streets.....

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:08 pm

Campin_Cat,

I guess it's going to be an anxious night for you.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:13 pm

There is a call for 500 police officers, statewide----and, 5,000, in the area of Maryland----hopefully, New York will come help us out, cuz we've always helped each other, so much

Yeah, that's for sure, Dillogic----thanks, for sending your thoughts, my way.....

People were pulled out of their cars, beaten, and then their cars set on-fire.....

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:27 pm

My cousin KS is doing a residency at Johns Hopkins. She lives off campus. I'd call her but I don't know her number, haven't heard from her mom (who lives in Nevada) either. I hope she's ok.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:35 pm

The reporter is now speaking to some high school aged people, live, on the street.....

The guy said: "Y'all took our education, and y'all took all our recreation centers----so, wha'da we got t'DO?..... Baltimore is dog-eat-dog, out here....."

The reporter then asked him if he thought the Freddie Gray case was giving people an excuse, and he said: "Yeah----a little bit..... Actually, ALOT!"

The reporter asked him what was his hopes and dreams were..... He said: "I wanna be a lawyer, and make lots of money..... so my kids won't have to live like this."

Oh, geez, pezar----I hope she is, TOO----I'm sorry to worry ya.....