Freddie Gray----Latest Developments in Investigation.....

Page 6 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 10:18 pm

Right..It's possible that the dead guy killed himself, but it definitely happened while he was handcuffed and in police custody, sure.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 11:13 pm

staremaster wrote:
Right..It's possible that the dead guy killed himself, but it definitely happened while he was handcuffed and in police custody, sure.

How do they secure someone in a wagon?

If he was allowed to move to some extent (enough to build up some momentum in other words), then there you go.

Medical examiners could determine if he died inside the van in comparison to outside, though. So, you'd need to wait until what they say. One statement by another detained individual isn't proof enough.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 11:22 pm

According to federal, state, and local regulations for transporting prisoners, they should be belted in a similar manner to any other passenger. The Baltimore police have a practice of giving people rough rides to jail, though.

It's a common type of prisoner abuse to handcuff a person and not double lock the cuffs, so that they tighten whenever the prisoner leans against them. This almost happened to me, but fortunately a supervisor checked the cuffs before the arresting officer loaded me into his car. She made kind of a tsk-tsk sound, but clearly had no intention to formally reprimand him for his attempted abuse.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 6:13 am

Dillogic - I totally understand / appreciate your, maybe, playing "Devil's Advocate"; but, as I said, before, Freddie Gray's autopsy showed NO evidence of a head injury.

jrjones9933 - You're RIGHT----both in that it's a law that a prisoner be belted (Freddie was NOT); and, the statement that Baltimore is NOTORIOUS for "giving people rough rides to jail".

UPDATE:

5 shootings - 1 dead. Also, a man was found dead in his truck----no word, yet, on how / why he died, and whether it was riot-related.

The largest protest, yet, is planned for this weekend----as I said before, it's a good thing the curfew will still be in effect----NOT that it may stop the violence; but, it might lessen it, as it seems to have done, since it went into effect.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 6:50 am

You don't need an overt head injury to break your neck, just FYI and all.

-People jumping into shallow water headfirst; head twists away from the impact, breaking the neck
-falling over backwards and hitting your neck on something
-tripping and landing on your head and shoulder; head twists away again
-the aforementioned "ram the wall with your waist bent, taking the impact on the top of your head"

and so on.

I'm not playing Devil's Advocate, rather, being fair and not jumping to conclusions. There's a vast array of possibles here, and focusing on just one being the correct outcome is what leads to people becoming emotional, and then giving them a feeling of justification for vigilantism.

Police brutality exists, but so does civilian brutality.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 10:31 am

The state's attorney for Baltimore City has just announced that 6 police officers will be charged in Gray's death. The charges include murder and manslaugther. She states that Gray's death was ruled a homicide and that he asked for assistance on 2 separate occasions.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/05/ ... GO20150501

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 10:33 am

This just in.....

OFFICERS WILL BE CHARGED WITH HOMICIDE, in the Freddie Gray case!!

The Maryland States Attorney just held a news-conference----here are some of the details:

Warrants for the arrest of ALL six officers have been issued; some of the charges include: 2nd degree murder, manslaughter, misconduct in office, assault in second degree.....

It was determined that:

Mr. Gray was illegally arrested (Mr. Gray was carrying a LEGAL knife----NOT a switchblade----THEREFORE, his arrest was NOT warranted); at-no-time, was Mr. Gray secured (seatbelt); Mr. Gray said he could not breathe - requested an inhaler, and he did NOT receive one; Mr. Gray did NOT have a crushed larynx; Mr. Gray asked for medical assistance, more than once; police officers did NOT call medics early enough; Mr. Gray was apparently unconscious when they loaded another prisoner; when medics arrived, they said Mr. Gray was in cardiac arrest!!

The following information is sketchy, as I couldn't type fast-enough to get everything that was being said----I'm sure our local news organization will put-up a link, within minutes of my posting this.....

Lt. Rice - involuntary manslaughter (1999 - 41)
Sgt. Alicia White (2010 - 30)
Ofc. Miller - INTENTIONAL assault, in the second degree
Ofc. Goodson (driver) - depraved hard murder (I'm not sure I heard that charge, correctly)
Ofc. Porter - involuntary manslaughter
Ofc. Nero - false imprisonment and assault;

2 officers were charged with false imprisonment----I THINK the other one was Sgt. White; but, I couldn't swear to it.

The numbers in parentheses represent the year the officer joined the BPD, and their age----all of the other police officers had not been in the BPD as long as 2010, and were all in their 20s.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 11:00 am

Okay, here's the official word (copied and pasted).....

- Lt. Brian Rice, 41, has been a member of the Baltimore Police Department since 1997, the supervisor on April 12: Charged with involuntary manslaughter, two second-degree assault charges, two misconduct in office charges and false imprisonment. If convicted, he could face a sentence of as much as 30 years in prison.

- Sgt. Alicia White, 30, has been a member of the Baltimore Police Department since 2010: Charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office. If convicted, he could face a sentence of as much as 20 years in prison.

- Police Officer William Porter, 25, has been a member of the Baltimore Police Department since 2012: Charged with involuntary manslaughter, second-degree assault and misconduct in office. If convicted, he could face a sentence of as much as 20 years in prison.

- Police Officer Garrett Miller, 26, has been a member of the Baltimore Police Department since 2012: Charged with second-degree assault intentional, second-degree assault negligent, two misconduct in office charges and false imprisonment. If convicted, he could face a sentence of as much as 20 years in prison.

- Police Officer Edward Nero, 29, has been a member of the Baltimore Police Department since 2012: Charged with false imprisonment and second-degree assault intentional, second-degree assault negligent, two misconduct in office charges and false imprisonment. If convicted, he could face a sentence of as much as 20 years in prison.

- Police Officer Caesar Goodson, 45, has been a member of the Baltimore Police Department since 1999, the driver of the prisoner transport van: Charged with second-degree depraved-heart murder; involuntary manslaughter; second-degree negligent assault; manslaughter by vehicle by means of gross negligence; manslaughter by vehicle by means of criminal negligence; misconduct in office for failure to secure a prisoner, failure to render aid. If convicted, he could face a sentence of as much as 63 years in prison.

And, of course, the link from my local news-station:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/baltimore-prosecutor-to-hold-press-conference/32684036

Also, the governor, and mayor, are to speak soon----I'll let y'all know what's said, there, ASAP.....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 11:09 am

Definition of "depraved-heart murder" (copied and pasted - and contained in my previously posted link):

The definition of depraved-heart murder per Black's Law Dictionary is "unintentional murder (18c) 1. A killing for which malice is implied because the person acted with intent to cause serious physical injury or knew that the conduct was substantially certain to cause death or serious physical injury. In some jurisdictions, this term is applied generally to several grades of killings without express intent. Also termed unintended murder."

Elijah Cummings is getting ready to speak.....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 11:23 am

Here are some comments from Congressman Cummings (again, as fast as I could type them):

"I trust Marilyn Mosby's integrity."
"I thank God that Marilyn Mosby saw him" (meaning, as a person).
"We DID witness history in one respect, and that is so often things happen and nothing happens."
"We need to establish a new normal."
"We can make Baltimore a model for the nation."
"They need us as much as much as we need them." (meaning the police and the 620,000 citizens)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 11:33 am

Governor Hogan said he respects the process, and surprised it went so fast (meaning, regarding State's Attorney Mosby's decision).

They thought he was going to speak at the news conference; but, it no longer looks that way, as he is going-around, right now, thanking the fire departments for their long hours and dedication, etc., on Monday night.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 11:50 am

Maryland Senator Pugh, spoke: "Freddie Gray can serve as a model for EVERYONE who has received injustice."

President Obama: "It is absolutely vital that the truth comes-out about what happened with Mr. Freddie Gray." "I think what the people of Baltimore want, more than anything else, is truth."

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 11:57 am

The mayor is due to speak, at-any-minute, now.....

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 12:32 pm

Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake:

"Justice must apply to ALL of us, equally."
"Five officers are IN custody."
"There is no place for misconduct and brutality in police custody."
"There is no room for racism in the BPD." (Baltimore Police Department)

She did NOT take questions----and the reporters were NOT happy----so no one knows why the 6th officer isn't in custody.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 12:36 pm

Some other info.....

Suspension WITH pay, is for misdemeanor charges; suspension WITHOUT pay, is for felony charges----up until now, all of the officers were suspended, WITH pay.

Police Body-Cams were vetoed in December, by the mayor. (That's really a shame, IMO, because all of this, maybe, could've been solved so much sooner----although charges were brought much sooner, than I thought.)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2015, 1:18 pm

More info.....

The ACLU (American Civil Liberties Union) reported that in the years from 2010-2014, there were 109 deaths in police custody, in Maryland - 31 occurred in Baltimore City, alone!

I don't have a link----I'm just typing what they're reporting.....

Everyone in Baltimore is blowing their horns----everyone is happy!! "Just the fact that the officers were charged", many said.

What's next? It goes to the Grand Jury..... (I wonder if the officers will be tried separately.)

The other guy in the van, with Freddie Gray, said that he heard an officer say: "Mr. Gray----Mr. Gray....."; and YET, they took care of HIM (getting him out of the van), before they took care of Freddie Gray.