APA found to be complicit in CIA torture program

Page 3 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2015, 11:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/report-details-psychologists-role-in-cia-torture-program/
this seems very unsavory to me, and it diminishes my level of trust in members of the profession.

I am really happy that my cognitive empathy allows me to easily grasp the common wisdom that most psych are around the bend. Psychatrists, psychologists and neurologists always have been leaders in bad things (see eugenic movement, electric shock, lobotomy, the so-called "orphanages" in Romania). I totally agree with one of your teachers.

I have to admit that I needed a personal insight with forensic experts due to a crazy custody battle to get how severely affected the profession as a whole still is, although I should have really known better before. I was also a little surprised to find how nuts leading psychologists were: Freud recommends cocaine as a good-for-everything-cure in an article after having taking it for some weeks, does a surgery on Emma Eckstein s nose and later on his eldest daughter s abdomen in order to cure them from hystery, and writes a cunny and exonerating expertise to a colleague who was responsible for accidental electro-executing of the so-called "war neurotics" (soldiers that had developped fists, tics or psychiatric conditions or that were accused of faking them). B.F. Skinner s babybox and his pigeon-guided rocket are very telling, too. The same goes for what Martin Miller says about his mother Alice and about himself (he is a psychotherapist, too) ("Das wahre Drama des begabten Kindes. Die Tragödie Alice Miller" ("The true drama of the gifted child. The Tragedy of Alice Miller") And I could go on and on and on...

They are so nuts, so incredibly nuts.

And so are we, if we trust them or pretend to trust them, and give them such an immense power to decide about other peoples lives.

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 May 2015, 12:02 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
It's what Christian theologians refer to as original sin, or man's fallen nature. That we are born bad, that it's genetic.

No, according to the bible, we are born good. "And God saw that it was good". It is just that this foolish Eve gave Adam the apple instead of eating it herself. But foolishness is not badness.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 1:03 am

Evam wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
It's what Christian theologians refer to as original sin, or man's fallen nature. That we are born bad, that it's genetic.

No, according to the bible, we are born good. "And God saw that it was good". It is just that this foolish Eve gave Adam the apple instead of eating it herself. But foolishness is not badness.

Actually, the foolish decision in the story leads to all the badness in us.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 4:31 pm

Sigh.....a talking snake :roll: .....yawn :tired:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 5:17 pm

slave wrote:

I personally don't take the Genesis story literally, though considering human nature, and the state of human history, obviously something had happened that had made us self destructive, and destructive to one another, as well as toward the world at large.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 6:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
slave wrote:

I personally don't take the Genesis story literally, though considering human nature, and the state of human history, obviously something had happened that had made us self destructive, and destructive to one another, as well as toward the world at large.

IMHO the "thing" that happened was familiar to any puter geek, "GIGO." IOW there are quasi-buggy design features in the grand algorithm called the metaverse, that lead to entropy and all the other ails of which we are all familiar.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 8:47 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
slave wrote:

IMHO the "thing" that happened was familiar to any puter geek, "GIGO." IOW there are quasi-buggy design features in the grand algorithm called the metaverse, that lead to entropy and all the other ails of which we are all familiar.

I'll be honest with you; all that computer talk goes over my head. :lol: But I think I get the gist of it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2015, 8:49 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
slave wrote:

I'll be honest with you; all that computer talk goes over my head. :lol: But I think I get the gist of it.

it goes over my head also, but I do understand the concept of Garbage In, Garbage Out. I mean, this is what the designer of the metaverse wrought.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 6:13 am

Evam wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
My earlier point is there is a tendency to "pathologise" deviant behavior. Despite personality traits we are born with, I think most of us have the same genetic predisposition to be cruel and heartless if immoral behavior was either socially acceptable in our own communities or if external pressures forced us to manifest these hidden traits. That there are otherwise educated middle class people who grew up in leafy inner city suburbs of New York, Sydney or Vancouver who choose to join secret organisations whom torture or kill people (CIA, MI5 KGB or ISIS) should not really be surprising given our past generations.

Many Aspies like evolutionary theory, they take it as an excuse for their misanthropic and anti-men/anti-women views, or their aggressions against NTS or what they take as NTs. I strongly disagree with "most of us have the same genetic predisposition to be cruel and heartless". Some might have a genetic disposition (but still much more a certain upbringing, plus some choice), others dont.

We tend to interpret our evolutionary past how it fits our purposes best. Mine is that humankind is basically very cooperative. I dont have the "lonely male hunter" in mind who is killing animals and rivals indiscriminately, but take hunting in the past and present as being a very social event (for daily food supply there are trappers and nomads). That is because I am a) a woman, b) very NT c) had a pretty good upbringing and can therefore think without too much emotional distortion.

I mean look at the new upright walking hypothesis: that men took an upright posture not, because there were no trees left, but because they walked through water, this thesis was developed because some clever person thought that evolution works better the other way around, drawing conclusions from nowadays human beings and their attraction to water and to living close by the water instead of fixing on other species. If you have the desertification thesis of human evolution you are very close to the struggle of life theory and social darwinism, if you have the water thesis of human evolution it is a much more pleasant story. I agree that scarce natural resources can play (and indeed often played and play) an important role in making people more cruel than they are naturally, but that does not mean that "it is in the genes", and even less that it is in the genes of humankind.

Partly some scientists view is distorted, because they take tribes in remote areas as representative. But these tribes are remote for some reason. Sabine Kügler s book "Child of the Jungle" is quite instructive in this aspect.

This is all I have to say about this f**ked-up evolutionary psychology.

LOL! I'm afraid I'm NT as well...

An interesting take and yes you are right, social darwinism and evolutionary psychology is very male centric...naturally because most of it is published by males...

BTW I disagree with some of your views; many Apsies (male and female) are quite balanced emotionally although occasionally prone to bias due to their specific negative experiences with NTs. Secondly there's plenty of objective psychology research that suggests that almost all humans are prone to extreme behavior when pressured or subject to conforming to majority norms. Read about the Milgram experiments, the Asch conformity experiments and Zimbardo's famous Stanford prison experiments. There's Golding's "Lord of the Flies" and Clavell's "King Rat" which although are fictional are based on the author's personal experience of human beings capacity to turn evil under exceptional circumstances. Goldhagen's "Hitler's Willing Executioners" is another example of how both men and women in the Nazi German "Wermacht" were converted from normal educated middle class people into mindless bloodthirsty killers. The latter is particularly chilling as Germany was only 10 years before the highest expression of human culture in western European history producing the world's best in every sector of human endeavor from the Arts to the sciences.

This is all I have to also say about this "f**ked-up" evolutionary psychology :lol:

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 5:43 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/report-details-psychologists-role-in-cia-torture-program/
this seems very unsavory to me, and it diminishes my level of trust in members of the profession.

Protogenoi wrote:
It isn't the first time. Dr. Ewen Cameron worked for the CIA and later became the president of the APA.

"The frequent screams of the patients that echoed through the hospital did not deter Cameron or most of his associates in their attempts to depattern their subjects completely."
- John D. Marks

While most psychologists wouldn't work for the CIA, there is no doubt they could not develop strategies without the aid of psychologists. Doctrines such as fascism and communism might have been written by philosophers such as Nietzsche and Marx, but the implementation of policy needed psychologists and their work such as the eugenicist Alfred Binet.

Nietzsche shouldn't be blamed for that. His sister (who he declared "dead" due to her being antisemitic) was also the person who gained control over his works. As a result his works are still often severely misinterpreted. Nietzsche condemned nationalism and fascism, he would have been horrified to know how his words and ideas were twisted by the Nazi's and others.

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 6:29 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Protogenoi wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Protogenoi wrote:
It isn't the first time. Dr. Ewen Cameron worked for the CIA and later became the president of the APA.

"The frequent screams of the patients that echoed through the hospital did not deter Cameron or most of his associates in their attempts to depattern their subjects completely."
- John D. Marks

While most psychologists wouldn't work for the CIA, there is no doubt they could not develop strategies without the aid of psychologists. Doctrines such as fascism and communism might have been written by philosophers such as Nietzsche and Marx, but the implementation of policy needed psychologists and their work such as the eugenicist Alfred Binet.

Nietzsche shouldn't be blamed for that. His sister (who he declared "dead" due to her being antisemitic) was also the person who gained control over his works. As a result his works are still often severely misinterpreted. Nietzsche condemned nationalism and fascism, he would have been horrified to know how his words and ideas were twisted by the Nazi's and others.

Funny, his philosophy was more often promoted by the left, till they were absconded by the Nazis, who only had a superficial grasp of his writings. In much the same way that capitalists had originally claimed Marx, as he demonstrated how the free market system was the natural evolution of the economy, while ignoring his prediction of the triumph of the dictatorship of the proletariat.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2015, 6:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Many sympathetic German psychologists were essential in the formulation of Nazi party strategies that gave rise to public policy doctrines. It's strange virtually nothing has been published about their role? without psychologists you cant create mass movements such as communism or fascism.

Not really all that strange at all. Psychology first became a legitimate profession with the Vordiplom Prüfung. There is a Nazi taint on many branches of psychology that they'd rather not discuss.
This book outlines the history fairly well. -PDF

Now take a trip with me but don't be surprised when things aren't what they seem. I've known it from the start all these good ideas will tear your brain apart. Scared, but you can follow me. I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die. - a7x

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 3:01 pm

Not torture. Enhanced interrogation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2015, 3:34 pm

deliberate understatement.