Appalled By How Cop Handles Teenage Girl!

Page 7 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:33 pm

Dillogic wrote:
pcuser wrote:
That "shot in the back" one looks iffy???? In what universe is that not cold blooded murder???

Depends on what led up to it.

If he assaulted the officer in a way that made the officer fear for his life, but then fled, then the law might state he's allowed to use lethal force to stop a violent felon from fleeing, for the safety of the public.

It depends on the law.

Of course, if there was no assault, then you have murder by the officer.

You just see the actual shooting in the video, not anything else.

If you have any brains at all and you actually watched the whole video, he wasn't a violent fleeing felon. And, unless he was holding a gun, I don't think it's legal to shoot him, period. Also, what do you make of the cop going back to the car and picking up the taser to plant it by the body and filing a false statement claiming the victim had the taser in possession when shot at? Why is it so hard for you to believe cops can be criminals when you have no problem believing that all non cops in these videos are criminals?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
From what the black teen who had recorded the incident said, the black kids present there in fact did have passes to be at the pool. From what I understand, someone had called the police after white adults started hurling racist insults at the kids, till threats of a physical altercation became evident. Just prior to the police arriving, an adult white woman, who had been involved in the name calling had been ejected. And lest we forget, this was happening in Texas, one of the most illiberal states in the country, so that a white police officer would behave so badly toward a small black teen dressed only in a bikini - only because she wouldn't leave - doesn't surprise me one bit.

That was afterwards and a part of the ruckus I mentioned (I'm sure neither side was innocent; it happens when people trespass, which is why you don't let them). The guard called the police because he couldn't stop people from trespassing.

You don't know that's why he restrained her. No one knows the reason.

If he had a valid reason to restrain her, then he did his job. The main thing is if he didn't have a valid reason to. If she wouldn't leave private property, then yes, that's valid.

"Liberal" or conservative doesn't matter here -- NY and Baltimore were the ones before this, and they're as "liberal" as you get.

What was afterwards?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm

pcuser wrote:
If you have any brains at all and you actually watched the whole video, he wasn't a violent fleeing felon. And, unless he was holding a gun, I don't think it's legal to shoot him, period. Also, what do you make of the cop going back to the car and picking up the taser to plant it by the body and filing a false statement claiming the victim had the taser in possession when shot at? Why is it so hard for you to believe cops can be criminals when you have no problem believing that all non cops in these videos are criminals?

Yes, I watched it. It doesn't show what lead up to the shooting. I recall the dude taking the video said they were fighting before the suspect fled and was shot.

How do you know he wasn't? If he assaulted the officer, then he's now a felon, and also violent.

You can shoot someone that's posing a lethal threat to you or someone else, whether they're armed or not (you and I have a duty to retreat, but if we can't, then we can). Now, some areas have fleeing felon clauses for police, where you can kill a fleeing felon if it's determined he's dangerous to the public.

The taser thing is conjecture. He could have planted it (implicating the other officer in it too) or he could have policed up evidence and put it near the body. Who knows?

He very well could have murdered the fleeing suspect, or he might not have. I can't say either way just by watching the video. It's up to the court to decide that.

Hence, it's "iffy".

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
What was afterwards?

The confrontation/fight in the street between the two females. Or, it wasn't what led to the police being called.

I recall that the security guard called because he couldn't stop people from trespassing. Of course, he might not have; there's been no official report on the events.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:38 pm

It's true, Texas is not considered liberal but let's compare this case to others around the country in places where the population is equally as large although Texas has the most square miles of any state in the lower 48. Alaska is the only state that out does it in size but it's so frozen it has one of the smallest populations.

All these cases have officers and one citizen who have fought or are fighting the charges. All of these states except California have lesser population than Texas which is considered second most populated in the nation.

Over in Missouri - Michael Brown was killed by gunshot while being taken into custody.
Over in Maryland - Freddie Gray died after being taken into custody from lingering, substantial injuries he obtained while being taken into custody.
In Florida - Trayvon Martin - killed by gunshot administered by private citizen before ever being taken into custody.
In California - Rodney King received substantial injuries before being taken into custody.

Then we have a case in a southern state with a significantly smaller population - South Carolina. A black man by the name of Walter L. Scott was shot while fleeing an officer and later died.

So, it appears, even though Texas is not the most liberal state, at least this young lady was not so injured that she ended up in the hospital or worse, dead, and the cop with the problem resigned without a fuss. I think that's pretty good compared to these other examples.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 4:46 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What was afterwards?

The confrontation/fight in the street between the two females. Or, it wasn't what led to the police being called.

I recall that the security guard called because he couldn't stop people from trespassing. Of course, he might not have; there's been no official report on the events.

Okay. And yes, as I understand it, that was just before the police were called. From what I gather, the woman who had ultimately been ejected had been part of the crowd of white adults who were hurling racist taunts at the black teens.
And while there had apparently been black kids who had climbed the fence to join the party, plenty of other black kids in fact had passes, and so had legitimate reason to be there. I got the impression that the cop, and possibly the security guard who had called the police, didn't care to distinguish between who were party crashers, and who were legit.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

Can we get a little moderator brutality in this thread? I'll be happy to abuse logic and reason to rationalize and justify it while appearing to remain completely obtuse to the actual issues...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 9:53 pm

She has the darkest skin out of all the kids who were part of the party.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 7:26 am

Ana: I just wanted to let you know that I read your post to me, and thought-of lots more to say; but, because my plate is so full, right now, I just don't have the brain-space to continue with this debate.....

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 10:10 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Ana: I just wanted to let you know that I read your post to me, and thought-of lots more to say; but, because my plate is so full, right now, I just don't have the brain-space to continue with this debate.....

I've read some of the stories about the cop Eric Casebolt and they are insightful, not just the us v. them kind of stuff one usually sees when reading about these types of situations. So I am hopeful it is an improvement. Thanks for reading my lengthy post though. It was good for me to think it through and I can understand you might see things differently in Baltimore. My mother taught public school there in the sixties and she didn't have an easy time going from rural life to teaching in the inner city. It was quite a culture shock. She was there to get a discount on her student loans. One of the other choices was Appalachia and I've told her she should have went there instead, lol, because she liked watching the Waltons.
The attitudes in the east appear a bit tougher than they are in this part of the country.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:06 pm

I watched the video multiple times and because the camera did not show enough due to distance, angle, and operator error there is not enough to make a valid argument that there was wrongdoing on the part of the police in handling that girl.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:09 pm

Raptor wrote:
I watched the video multiple times and because the camera did not show enough due to distance, angle, and operator error there is not enough to make a valid argument that there was wrongdoing on the part of the police in handling that girl.

Then why did the chief say it went against department policy and training???

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:49 pm

pcuser wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It's beside the point what the chief said.
He's a typical bureaucrat reacting to outrage in the wake of that incident with other fairly recent and more serious incidents in Missouri and Maryland. He'll trim his sails for whatever will keep the lions at bay, right or wrong.
Maybe the cop WAS wrong (I'm no lover of the police) but one sh***y little video clip is not conclusive enough. Besides, it's not like he shot her.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 12:51 pm

Raptor wrote:
pcuser wrote:
Raptor wrote:

It's beside the point what the chief said.
He's a typical bureaucrat reacting to outrage in the wake of that incident with other fairly recent and more serious incidents in Missouri and Maryland. He'll trim his sails for whatever will keep the lions at bay, right or wrong.
Maybe the cop WAS wrong (I'm no lover of the police) but one sh***y little video clip is not conclusive enough. Besides, it's not like he shot her.

You simply cannot come to terms with the idea that there is a racial aspect to policing that fundamentally damages minorities...

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2015, 4:44 am

beneficii wrote:
It's interesting to see how people find ways to justify the unjustifiable.

Blaming the victim is easier then admitting that the people they support are nothing but jack-booted government thugs.