Appalled By How Cop Handles Teenage Girl!

Page 4 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:55 am

There was no excuse for the cop to have done that to the girl. I also have a feeling that the colour of her skin might have had something to do with it as well. Very little has changed in the deep south of the US over the past 50 years.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 10:02 am

Dillogic wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
lots of text saying, "were you there", "she's only a teenager, so don't treat her...like a fully grown adult", "you're emotional because you're defending something!" and "police abuse happens"

People trespassing on private property was why they were called; assaulting a security guard, other scuffles, and making a disturbance (whilst trespassing), were what was reported.

I'm only defending what I see in the video, and there's nothing out of the ordinary. The one thing we don't see that can point to specific things is why that one female was singled out.

Yes, abuse and misuse of force happens, but I'm not seeing it in this video.

Tell me who it was who assaulted the guard? Was he taken down to the ground by the cops?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 10:05 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Dantac wrote:
As always, the media is blowing stuff out of proportion by not reporting the whole picture.

You need to know that this party had already been the site of multiple physical fights, very loud music and the party's own hired security was having lots of trouble keeping things under control. Also, the party was apparently leaked to social media and there were teens who did not live in the are nor were acquaintances of the home owners, arriving in droves and jumping over the fence to get into the property.

The video you see was shot sometime inside the 45 minutes the police were at the party. Witnesses have testified that this cop arrived first and was alone trying to handle the out of control teens for ~15 minutes before his backup arrived... meaning the video was shot after that time (since you see other officers). The witnesses also state this officer had been ordering teens to sit down and not move as well as telling others to disperse and leave the property and that while some teens obeyed, many did not. Some even got verbal and combative with him. This officer had already handcuffed several teens, including white boys and girls and had run out of handcuffs. This girl was one of those that ignored the officer and kept running around the area.

In the video you do see him still telling the kids to sit down and others to walk away.

Now here's the thing.. do you see the media showing what happened just before the officer grabs the girl? No. That is very conveniently cut out from the video. All videos I can find show him already grabbing her. Witnesses say the girl had been part of a group that had constantly refused to sit down or leave and apparently when the officer told her directly to leave she refused and that is when the officer grabbed her and forced her down. She resisted and it ended up being that 'violent' incident.

I see people crying foul about him drawing his weapon... did the fact that the officer became surrounded by teens , first a bunch of girls which he pushed away and then 2 rather big male teens coming in from the side as if they were going to rush him? You even see the other two officers running to the guy ...and that is not a run that started when the officer drew his weapon, they were already running towards him when those two guys came up at the officer.

Yes, he used force on her. You can even see it was a rather violent way of dealing with her. You need to put yourself on the shoes of this officer who for about 45 minutes had been trying to get this bunch of out of control teens dispersed or under control and then he gets one person that resists and struggles and THEN two guys rush him. His actions were not out of place imo.

But hey, the media is getting their ratings boosted and now another police racial scandal is being brewed..protesters showing up, etc... expect riots and looting soon to follow.

Oh, thank GOD----another voice of reason----I'm on "Team Dillogic / Dantac"! !

I respect your opinion but it does cause me to feel a bit saddened. I can understand your reasoning and I am not disagreeing with the teens getting arrested, just the treatment of this particular small framed teenager, when you consider how the others were treated, and the fact she wasn't wearing a lot of clothing and she was scared. Dillogic noted they all scream they want their momma when they are getting arrested but if you review the footage, you can see no one was screaming that but her. The others weren't.

I read the cop resigned and I agree with that decision.

You can't argue that he's just a cop making an arrest because there's footage of other cops, no one is complaining about them. No one is saying, hey, you can't arrest teenagers for causing a scene and criminal trespass. I have no problem with what I saw from any of the other cops.

The one cop could have let his emotions run away with him. I know I would make a lousy cop because I feel my emotions would interfere at times, despite how I know it should never happen and I would be very regretful if they ever did because I know it's not ideal. Sometimes you have to look at yourself with honesty and say, you know what, I either need to control my emotions or find some other job. It's just facts.

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 10 Jun 2015, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

Dox47 wrote:
Even his own chief said his actions were inexcusable; I'm sure our thoughtless authority worshiping contingent will find a media conspiracy in that too.

What, you mean a political decision due to having zero spine because of the media sensation over what amounts to teenagers being teenagers and police being the police with no actual abuse going on?

Yeah, no.

You start throwing police to the lambs and you have Baltimore with its 70+ murders per 100,000 people over the past couple of months.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 10:37 am

Dillogic wrote:
Dox47 wrote:
Even his own chief said his actions were inexcusable; I'm sure our thoughtless authority worshiping contingent will find a media conspiracy in that too.

What, you mean a political decision due to having zero spine because of the media sensation over what amounts to teenagers being teenagers and police being the police with no actual abuse going on?

Yeah, no.

You start throwing police to the lambs and you have Baltimore with its 70+ murders per 100,000 people over the past couple of months.

It's an overreaction.
No one is throwing police to the lambs.
People are listening to eye witnesses. The guy that shot the video footage is a white teenage boy. His belief, which he told reporters, is the black teenagers were being targeted because he said the cops were ordering them to sit down and when the cop approached him they just looked him over and didn't care if he was standing or sitting so he believed it was racially motivated and that came from him and he was actually there. So, do you think he has valid input into the situation considering he saw it with his own eyes and was a part of it?

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 11:23 am

Quote:
“He came into the call out of control, and as the video shows, was out of control during the incident. I had 12 officers on the scene, and 11 of them performed according to their training.

Dillogic wrote:

Where did that come from? I think your slope is slippery.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 11:26 am

And just for the record, a black teenage boy who was also arrested at this "party" claims nothing that went on was racially motivated whatsoever. He completely denied, in an interview, any racism on part of the police.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 11:52 am

Still not sure who at this pool actually lived in this neighborhood (the pool in question is a community pool located in a suburb for use by the people who live there and up to two guests per resident allowed to be invited:

http://www.salon.com/2015/06/10/america ... bad_apple/

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:01 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Quote:
“He came into the call out of control, and as the video shows, was out of control during the incident. I had 12 officers on the scene, and 11 of them performed according to their training.

Dillogic wrote:

The officer in question was forced to resign due to the media circus over this event. An event where he used far less force than what my sister and I used to use on one another when playing around (no one has told me how you're supposed to restrain someone in a better way than what he did). The supervisors remarks are clearly political.

Nope. See Baltimore and New York (crimes jumping through the roof as police stop being proactive due to fear of doing their job). A slippery slope is when you have something that isn't logically connected happening; this is the exact same thing, and police will start to fear being made a media plaything.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
From what the black teen who had recorded the incident said, the black kids present there in fact did have passes to be at the pool. From what I understand, someone had called the police after white adults started hurling racist insults at the kids, till threats of a physical altercation became evident. Just prior to the police arriving, an adult white woman, who had been involved in the name calling had been ejected. And lest we forget, this was happening in Texas, one of the most illiberal states in the country, so that a white police officer would behave so badly toward a small black teen dressed only in a bikini - only because she wouldn't leave - doesn't surprise me one bit.

That was afterwards and a part of the ruckus I mentioned (I'm sure neither side was innocent; it happens when people trespass, which is why you don't let them). The guard called the police because he couldn't stop people from trespassing.

You don't know that's why he restrained her. No one knows the reason.

If he had a valid reason to restrain her, then he did his job. The main thing is if he didn't have a valid reason to. If she wouldn't leave private property, then yes, that's valid.

"Liberal" or conservative doesn't matter here -- NY and Baltimore were the ones before this, and they're as "liberal" as you get.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:11 pm

Dillogic wrote:
An event where he used far less force than what my sister and I used to use on one another when playing around...

You're missing the point. If we all behaved like children we would not be civilized. The police should exemplify this. He behaved like a child. That is the problem.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:15 pm

Dillogic wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
Quote:

Dillogic wrote:

The officer in question was forced to resign due to the media circus over this event. An event where he used far less force than what my sister and I used to use on one another when playing around (no one has told me how you're supposed to restrain someone in a better way than what he did). The supervisors remarks are clearly political.

Nope. See Baltimore and New York (crimes jumping through the roof as police stop being proactive due to fear of doing their job). A slippery slope is when you have something that isn't logically connected happening; this is the exact same thing, and police will start to fear being made a media plaything.

How can you compare it to what you and your sister do when you are both willing participants and have equal input into what is happening? It isn't the same situation. It's got nothing to do with politics and all about keeping a bad cop from abusing his authority and police in Texas will not be afraid. This part of the country is NOTHING like the north east where it seems, there are large high rise projects that, kind of, ghettoize a lot of people of color so everyone is ready to riot in defense of their race. In this part of the country, you have lower class blacks, whites, latinos, Asians, living side by side in the same neighborhood, especially in working class communities so it's not so much a matter of us v. them.

It's more like it is out west, like in California. Same sort of thing. There are parts of town that are more black than other races but there's plenty of parts that have all kinds of races and ethnic groups living within a few blocks of each other so they learned how to get along.

Police brutality still occurs but it's been a long time since anyone rioted in the southwest and out in California, they only rioted after Rodney King, that appeared to be an extreme case caught on camera.
Seems like the northeast is set to go off but things around here aren't nearly so tense. If you look at Hurricane Katrina, if something should have sparked riots, it should have been that, yet, nothing. It's an easier going attitude.

So we aren't going to see cops afraid to do their jobs around here. It will be business as usual.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:16 pm

androbot01 wrote:
You're missing the point. If we all behaved like children we would not be civilized. The police should exemplify this. He behaved like a child. That is the problem.

And, how is he supposed to restrain her then?

That's actually the point, because that's what people are upset over.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:19 pm

Dillogic wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

What he should have done is let the other cops handle it.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:20 pm

Dillogic wrote:
androbot01 wrote:

Let's assume she was the aggressor (for which there is no evidence.) Let's say she kicked him. Now, as a grown man, if you were in such a gathering and a girl younger than you kicked you. What would you do?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 12:24 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
How can you compare it to what you and your sister do when you are both willing participants and have equal input into what is happening?

What he should have done is let the other cops handle it.

Simple.

It's a comparison of force being used. No less that a brother and sister playing.

So, you assume another officer would have been better if she was resisting in the same way? Two officers would have been better, but they would have put her on the ground in the same way until she calmed down.

It's pure speculation that anyone else would have done a more gentle looking take down.