Appalled By How Cop Handles Teenage Girl!

Page 6 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:12 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:

"Small-framed", "female", "teenager", "bikini", has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING!! When somebody breaks the law----no matter if it seemed to be a minor infraction----they can EXPECT to be "taken-down" (meaning, "arrested").

Here's what I'm thinking..... There seems to be little, if NO, knowledge of "the culture"----meaning, large metropolitan city culture----around here. When one lives in the middle of this culture, as I do, one might have a completely different understanding of the situation----REGARDLESS, though----NONE OF US, WAS THERE!!

When I type "taken down" I am not talking about being arrested, I am referring to being thrown on the ground and sat on which is what cops typically do to the violent ones who are either running away, hitting or kicking. Ones with weapons tend to get shot, not taken down. She wasn't doing any of that and had no weapon nor anyplace to hide one.

If that one officer hadn't been there, none of us would most likely not know a thing about this. It would be non news. It's only because of him it went viral. Otherwise, it would just be rowdy teens getting picked up by cops, their grumpy parents would have come to the station to pick them up. Common occurrence around here. Once, after curfew, cops rounded up several teens in the City, took them downtown and their parents had to come get them. Cops were determined to enforce the curfew that night and set an example like cops will do. There were a lot of angry parents and kids but no video that went viral, virtually no drama except for a few complaining parents in the newspapers, one claimed she was out with her kid, just had her wait in front of the movie theater after seeing a movie, a few minutes to be picked up, but her kid was taken away anyway even when she tried to tell cops her mom was about to arrive and take her. So you see, yes, it happens. Kids get taken downtown by the cops. Parents go downtown to pick them up. Most the time it's the parents who are angrier than the kids because they have to go get them. Happens nearly everyday and it would have been what happened in this situation. No big deal. This is not the issue. This is about a police officer losing his cool and taking it out on someone who could have been injured over some silly bs that cops have to deal with all the time and, mostly, it happens without incident.

Quote:
I don't feel Dillogic meant it, that way..... I'm thinking the way he meant "they all" was all who get arrested----NOT all who were in this particular incident----and I feel he's RIGHT!! I've seen TONS of these teens acting like LIONS, until someone stands-up to them----then, more-often-than-not, they back-down. Also, many of them are just "itchin'" to play the "Oh, woe is me" card----the "Look how I've been treated, so badly" card; so, if they look compliant, when the police come-around, that fits into their "plan", better----their plan of "Don't you feel sorry, for me?"----and, people (including people right here, on this thread) fall for it, HOOK, LINE AND SINKER----and, they KNOW it, TOO----that's why they keep shoveling it.....

They are just kids. We all were at one time and I doubt any of us had it perfected but none of us deserve to be manhandled over some silly bs that kids will do and most cops and their supervisors agree with this. They just do their jobs the way they are trained. Sure there are some bad kids that need to be put into juvie but none of these kids appeared unusually bad. They were not trying to harm anyone at this point. The only reason the other girls came over is a normal concern for the safety and well being of their friend. That's a completely normal response. It would be abnormal if none of them cared and just kinda shrugged while she screamed and struggled. Kids should be taught to look out for their friends.

Quote:
Well, I think it was right here on this thread that someone posted that the cop who resigned was the FIRST to appear on the scene----and, that he had been there for, like, 15 minutes, before back-up arrived.....

IMO, he should've never gone into the situation, ALONE----but, he DID----and, as I have stated before, I have experience in being around these kids, and FIVE minutes is enough to make you want to hurt one of 'em!! NOT ALL OF THEM, of course----but, I'll tell ya what..... They're UNbeLIEVably RUDE, MEAN, ill-mannered, trashy (as in, using the eff-word with every other exhalation)----and, the GIRLS are about TEN TIMES worse than the BOYS----the girls are, SOME OF THEM, ABSOLUTE SNAKES----they treat the boys, TERRIBLY----it's no wonder the boys feel "beaten-down", have no self-esteem, feel stupid, feel like they're never any good, for anything.....

Believe me, lady, I went to school with some of the most low down, fiendish, twisted, evil, mean spirited, trashy kids and none of them were black and rarely did anyone lay one had on them. Until you see in person what I had to put up with, and I am sure others besides myself did too, from their own perspective, you simply cannot know. No one seemed to care if they were rude little pricks most the time, which they were. They had the manners of sharks, for the most part. It was just because they were young and we all had freedom of speech so this was the reasoning behind letting them carry on in their rudeness. So you think freedom of speech is not a protected right? You can't apply it to one race and not another. Either you are free to be rude or you aren't! Betcha when a white college kid in a position of authority spouts racism in the public arena you are one to say it's his right to do so and he is protected under the first amendment yet these black kids, at a community pool, where they have no real authority over anyone, should all be thrown on the ground and sat on for doing the same thing? Well let me tell you, there are bratty kids of all races and white kids can outtrash any other race when they want to but I bet you wouldn't advocate they be brutalized just because they do this, would you? Believe me, I have seen my share of horrendously acting white kids so...it's not just a matter of "those black brats." Far from it.
The most you would ever see anyone do to the teenagers I went to school with was suspend them and that wasn't over the crap that came out of their mouths but more because they got into a fight or had something at school they weren't supposed to. If anyone dared complain about what they said, their parents would be up at the school yelping rabidly about the first amendment whenever they found out their precious angel had been reprimanded. So you either argue that you put up with it because of the first amendment, and all this girl in Texas was doing was running her mouth at this point, - remember the cop was all set to let the girls go and as she walked away she smarted off - a first amendment issue, or you deny first amendment rights.
So that's just teenagers being teenagers. Why do you think so many parents complain about their teenagers all the time and feel alienated? Teenage years are the toughest because they are rebelling. They take a lot of patience and understanding. An adult, however, should have some insight into behavior and be able to understand what the teenager, without the age and experience, cannot so we are expected to be the ones who are more rational and better able to guide them into more mature behavior so they outgrow this and become more aware.

Quote:
Yes, I agree, that he probably let his emotions run-away, with him----AND, I thinking his EGO promoted him, to go at it, alone----but, again, there's something I don't think people are considering.....

Let's look at the cop's side of the story----and, let's just drop the "curtain", and bring "race" into it, as well.....

I've seen lots of people get arrested----if it's a WHITE cop arresting a BLACK person, the FIRST thing out of a black person's mouth, is almost ALWAYS: "Oh----you're doin' this, cuz I'm black". If it's a BLACK cop, and the person being arrested, is BLACK, the person says: "Why you wanna treat a brotha, like this?"

Actually one of the black teens in Texas said racism didn't have anything to do with it so it's not a matter of all blacks saying the racist white cops but I do think the residents of that suburb, some of them, do not like black people and want to be around them. It's certainly realistic in this part of the country. So, they wanted the blacks to leave, confronted them, and a scuffle broke out. Then they called the cops and according to the records, members of both races called after the scuffle to report. So it could have actually been the people living in that community who were, in fact, prejudice against blacks and reported to police in a slanted way. Still, at the end of the day, they are just teenagers wanting to swim in a pool. Just normal teenage stuff and yet look at how they are responded to and you wonder why teenagers have issues? These kids weren't even really doing anything horribly bad. They weren't robbing. They weren't looting. They weren't killing. They just wanted to swim on a hot day. What oh what has the world come to????

Quote:
So, now imagine if every day, when you went to your job, you had people throwin' rocks / bricks / broken glass, etc. at you; you had people cussin' you, every other minute; you had people resisting arrest----sometimes by pullin' a knife, spittin' in your face----PUNCHING you in the face..... What if every day you went to work, people PROVOKED you, by saying things, like: "Don't be lookin' at ME----I ain't doin' nothin'!"; or, "Why you always wanna go accusin' people of somethin'?"; or, "What, a person can't walk-down the street, now"----in other words, just DARING you to question their actions.....

Again, I've been there. Everyday I had to put up with mountains of other people's stupid, inane crap in school yet there wasn't one thing I could do or it would have come back on me. I could not touch them. Even if I responded to it, I would get accused of participating or provoking so yes I know. I know. You cannot tell me one thing that would shock me about the kind of dumb stuff people say and do. I've been there.
It's a matter of control. I have to be in control of me and others have to be in charge of themselves, too. You got no one to blame but yourself. It's about how you respond or don't play the game to begin with. I am just grateful I don't have to put up with it now. I have my own space and experience peace of mind and calm and for that I am eternally grateful. That's why I say, I would never want careers such as cop or teacher. They have to be in the same situation I was in daily. It would drive me crazy. Been there. Done that. Don't want to go back. Ever.
It's about knowing what it is you can handle and being honest with yourself, also being allowed to say, you know, I need a break from this situation, and let the other cops handle it and not be stigmatized for it.

Quote:
Now, let's give it a DIFFERENT demographic..... Let's say ALL of the people saying / doing those things were young WHITE Eminem-lookin' kids----every-single-time, every-single-day----don't you think you would start being, at least, WARY of that type of person?

Not wary, just eternally annoyed but there's not much anyone can do because kids aren't going to stop being kids. They never have before. They won't now. And I was a kid once too, so were you. None of us were perfect though some did strive a bit more than others. "Forgive them for they know not" is my favorite, alleged Jesus quote. I apply it to situations such as these and to myself, too, when needed.

Quote:
Black people----SOME, NOT ALL----want everybody to say "Oh, it's SOOOO TERRIBLE that they're being treated, like that.....", but then they don't want to DO, anything to change it----they want it to ALWAYS be, "the other person's fault"----to relieve them of responsibility, cuz then they would have to WORK----just like ANYBODY does, in ANY kind of relationship----to IMPROVE----improve "whatever"----in THESE cases, cop relations.

Don't get me wrong----if I think someone should be defended, I'm "right there"----as I was with the Freddie Gray case, here, in Baltimore----but, I do NOT believe the kids in THIS case, should be defended!

If this would have been handled differently, the parents would have sat the girl down and told her not to go back to that pool and it would have been just another day in suburban America - a parent parenting a child. Maybe the parent would have disciplined as well? That's what usually happens. Again, it's no big deal. Typical, normal stuff that happens everyday. People want to say even the littlest trifles are such a big deal these days, just kids stuff. My aunt used to live in an apartment with a pool and my friend and I were swimming at it one day. This is when we were teenagers and there were just two of us and we were both white, she has blond hair/blue eyes even. The manager came and told us to get out of that pool and we told her we were visiting my aunt, told her where my aunt lived and her reply was it didn't matter because my aunt wasn't at the pool with us so we got out of the pool and left. No fights erupted, no cops were called. There was really no reason to get onto us and I have no idea why she did. We weren't really doing anything but swimming in the pool and sun bathing on towels. And yet somehow we managed to not get wrestled to the ground and sat on. We even managed to make it back the apartment without getting arrested. Go figure.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:15 pm

beneficii wrote:
You're still trying to change the subject, and NO it's not.

How so?

The incident between the officer and teen was due to people trespassing, as that's why the officers were called.

I'm just stating that there's often unattended consequences to these things; the actual incident with the officer has been well discussed by me, and me discussing why I think it wasn't police abuse is just going to be literal copy and past of the same things.

See: Baltimore and NY, and unattended consequences.

Last edited by Dillogic on 10 Jun 2015, 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:16 pm

Dillogic wrote:
pcuser wrote:
In your eyes, is there ever a story about blacks and the police where it's ever police misconduct. You always come down on the conservative perspective and read all kinds of things into the story to justify your point of view. I also have strong opinions, however, I'm always open to the possibility that I can be wrong. I haven't seen that with you or many conservatives. It'a always one size fits all, regardless of the facts...

I don't care about skin color, nor about who is involved. Rather, the facts of the case.

That, "shot in the back" one recently looks iffy (depending on the law of that state).

If you actually cared about the facts of the case in all these cases, you would see that police brutality tends to come down disproportionately hard on people of color. But as you say, you don't see skin color, so you're oblivious to this fact.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:18 pm

Dillogic wrote:
pcuser wrote:
In your eyes, is there ever a story about blacks and the police where it's ever police misconduct. You always come down on the conservative perspective and read all kinds of things into the story to justify your point of view. I also have strong opinions, however, I'm always open to the possibility that I can be wrong. I haven't seen that with you or many conservatives. It'a always one size fits all, regardless of the facts...

I don't care about skin color, nor about who is involved. Rather, the facts of the case.

That, "shot in the back" one recently looks iffy (depending on the law of that state).

That "shot in the back" one looks iffy???? In what universe is that not cold blooded murder???

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:20 pm

beneficii wrote:
If you actually cared about the facts of the case in all these cases, you would see that police brutality tends to come down disproportionately hard on people of color. But as you say, you don't see skin color, so you're oblivious to this fact.

Yes, I don't see skin color.

All people are people to me, and each case needs to be taken individually, as that's how the law treats them.

(You're going to need to show that it comes down disproportionately on African-descended individuals, and that it's actually abuse for the stats outlined.)

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:24 pm

pcuser wrote:
That "shot in the back" one looks iffy???? In what universe is that not cold blooded murder???

Depends on what led up to it.

If he assaulted the officer in a way that made the officer fear for his life, but then fled, then the law might state he's allowed to use lethal force to stop a violent felon from fleeing, for the safety of the public.

It depends on the law.

Of course, if there was no assault, then you have murder by the officer.

You just see the actual shooting in the video, not anything else.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 2:33 pm

Dillogic wrote:
pcuser wrote:

Depends on what led up to it.

If he assaulted the officer in a way that made the officer fear for his life, but then fled, then the law might state he's allowed to use lethal force to stop a violent felon from fleeing, for the safety of the public.

It depends on the law.

Of course, if there was no assault, then you have murder by the officer.

You just see the actual shooting in the video, not anything else.

If you have any brains at all and you actually watched the whole video, he wasn't a violent fleeing felon. And, unless he was holding a gun, I don't think it's legal to shoot him, period. Also, what do you make of the cop going back to the car and picking up the taser to plant it by the body and filing a false statement claiming the victim had the taser in possession when shot at? Why is it so hard for you to believe cops can be criminals when you have no problem believing that all non cops in these videos are criminals?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:03 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
From what the black teen who had recorded the incident said, the black kids present there in fact did have passes to be at the pool. From what I understand, someone had called the police after white adults started hurling racist insults at the kids, till threats of a physical altercation became evident. Just prior to the police arriving, an adult white woman, who had been involved in the name calling had been ejected. And lest we forget, this was happening in Texas, one of the most illiberal states in the country, so that a white police officer would behave so badly toward a small black teen dressed only in a bikini - only because she wouldn't leave - doesn't surprise me one bit.

That was afterwards and a part of the ruckus I mentioned (I'm sure neither side was innocent; it happens when people trespass, which is why you don't let them). The guard called the police because he couldn't stop people from trespassing.

You don't know that's why he restrained her. No one knows the reason.

If he had a valid reason to restrain her, then he did his job. The main thing is if he didn't have a valid reason to. If she wouldn't leave private property, then yes, that's valid.

"Liberal" or conservative doesn't matter here -- NY and Baltimore were the ones before this, and they're as "liberal" as you get.

What was afterwards?

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm

pcuser wrote:
If you have any brains at all and you actually watched the whole video, he wasn't a violent fleeing felon. And, unless he was holding a gun, I don't think it's legal to shoot him, period. Also, what do you make of the cop going back to the car and picking up the taser to plant it by the body and filing a false statement claiming the victim had the taser in possession when shot at? Why is it so hard for you to believe cops can be criminals when you have no problem believing that all non cops in these videos are criminals?

Yes, I watched it. It doesn't show what lead up to the shooting. I recall the dude taking the video said they were fighting before the suspect fled and was shot.

How do you know he wasn't? If he assaulted the officer, then he's now a felon, and also violent.

You can shoot someone that's posing a lethal threat to you or someone else, whether they're armed or not (you and I have a duty to retreat, but if we can't, then we can). Now, some areas have fleeing felon clauses for police, where you can kill a fleeing felon if it's determined he's dangerous to the public.

The taser thing is conjecture. He could have planted it (implicating the other officer in it too) or he could have policed up evidence and put it near the body. Who knows?

He very well could have murdered the fleeing suspect, or he might not have. I can't say either way just by watching the video. It's up to the court to decide that.

Hence, it's "iffy".

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
What was afterwards?

The confrontation/fight in the street between the two females. Or, it wasn't what led to the police being called.

I recall that the security guard called because he couldn't stop people from trespassing. Of course, he might not have; there's been no official report on the events.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 3:38 pm

It's true, Texas is not considered liberal but let's compare this case to others around the country in places where the population is equally as large although Texas has the most square miles of any state in the lower 48. Alaska is the only state that out does it in size but it's so frozen it has one of the smallest populations.

All these cases have officers and one citizen who have fought or are fighting the charges. All of these states except California have lesser population than Texas which is considered second most populated in the nation.

Over in Missouri - Michael Brown was killed by gunshot while being taken into custody.
Over in Maryland - Freddie Gray died after being taken into custody from lingering, substantial injuries he obtained while being taken into custody.
In Florida - Trayvon Martin - killed by gunshot administered by private citizen before ever being taken into custody.
In California - Rodney King received substantial injuries before being taken into custody.

Then we have a case in a southern state with a significantly smaller population - South Carolina. A black man by the name of Walter L. Scott was shot while fleeing an officer and later died.

So, it appears, even though Texas is not the most liberal state, at least this young lady was not so injured that she ended up in the hospital or worse, dead, and the cop with the problem resigned without a fuss. I think that's pretty good compared to these other examples.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 4:46 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
What was afterwards?

The confrontation/fight in the street between the two females. Or, it wasn't what led to the police being called.

I recall that the security guard called because he couldn't stop people from trespassing. Of course, he might not have; there's been no official report on the events.

Okay. And yes, as I understand it, that was just before the police were called. From what I gather, the woman who had ultimately been ejected had been part of the crowd of white adults who were hurling racist taunts at the black teens.
And while there had apparently been black kids who had climbed the fence to join the party, plenty of other black kids in fact had passes, and so had legitimate reason to be there. I got the impression that the cop, and possibly the security guard who had called the police, didn't care to distinguish between who were party crashers, and who were legit.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 8:02 pm

Can we get a little moderator brutality in this thread? I'll be happy to abuse logic and reason to rationalize and justify it while appearing to remain completely obtuse to the actual issues...

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2015, 9:53 pm

She has the darkest skin out of all the kids who were part of the party.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2015, 7:26 am

Ana: I just wanted to let you know that I read your post to me, and thought-of lots more to say; but, because my plate is so full, right now, I just don't have the brain-space to continue with this debate.....