So what do y'all think of Rachel Dolezal?

Page 10 of 15 [ 232 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 15  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2020, 10:50 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
What do I think of her? I think no one cared that she had black skin, it was her lies that upset everyone. She lied about her childhood, her heritage. Then her parents exposed her.

Of course she will claim people got mad at her for not being truly black but i think it was her lies that got her into trouble.

It would be a stretch to describe her as having black skin. I know people of (partial, their mom is Irish and Welsh) Sicilian ancestry darker than her. She's pretty 'racially ambiguous' looking.

She actually had darkened her skin. I don't know if she spent excess time in a tanning booth, or if she just laid the fake bake on a bit too much, but she's actually blonde and pale skinned.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2020, 11:57 pm

black is beautiful, so i don't blame her for wishing she were black. but it would be better if rather than pass herself off as black, that she tried an intermediate step, like "emulating black." ;)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:01 am

I agree with Blabs. Since when did it become illegal to darken your skin?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:06 am

Its legality its not the issue. The issue is that she is not genetically Black, and that she is even less Black looking than she looks in news pics because she artificially changes her hair and skin coloration.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Its legality its not the issue. The issue is that she is not genetically Black, and that she is even less Black looking than she looks in news pics because she artificially changes her hair and skin coloration.

There is no such thing as "genetically black"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:29 am

Only “genetically of a darker complexion.”

Or maybe “genetically of sub-Saharan African Descent” or “genetically of Maori descent” or some other dark-complexioned ethnic group with certain common anatomical features.

“Black” is a social construct opinion reflective of a dark-complexioned person.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:31 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Genetically Black is the only kind of Black there is.

Skin color is controlled by genes.It's inherited.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 09 Jul 2020, 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Only “genetically of a darker complexion.”

Or maybe “genetically of sub-Saharan African Descent” or “genetically of Maori descent” or some other dark-complexioned ethnic group with certain common anatomical features.

“Black” is a social construct opinion reflective of a dark-complexioned person.

This.
This is the NON idiotic way of saying what Cyberdad was probably TRYING to say. :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 12:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Sorry there is no "black gene"...there is a gene that regulates melanin production that is in both white and black people.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MC1R

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 1:22 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Sorry there is no "black gene"...there is a gene that regulates melanin production that is in both white and black people.

https://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/gene/MC1R

Exactly. Thats what I said. Skin color is controlled by genes. And it's inherited.

Being "ethnically Black" is obviously not dictated by a single gene. But one of the salient traits that cause you to be socially classified as being "Black" is dark skin color. And skin color IS dictated by a number of genes, all of which are inheritable.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 2:33 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Being "ethnically Black" is obviously not dictated by a single gene. But one of the salient traits that cause you to be socially classified as being "Black" is dark skin color. And skin color IS dictated by a number of genes, all of which are inheritable.

True its polygenic and polymorphic. The point is for Rachel Dolezal to darken her skin its not like she is becoming a sith lord or an alien. I personally think everyone is over-reacting.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 4:15 am

cyberdad wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

True its polygenic and polymorphic. The point is for Rachel Dolezal to darken her skin its not like she is becoming a sith lord or an alien. I personally think everyone is over-reacting.

I think people around here in the Spokane area were simply offended by the fact that she had fabricated a whole personal history for herself. Not that she's the only person ever to do such a thing. As I think I've already stated, it's too bad that things had to turn out so bad for her as she had been a genuine voice for social change and activism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 4:34 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I think people around here in the Spokane area were simply offended by the fact that she had fabricated a whole personal history for herself. Not that she's the only person ever to do such a thing. As I think I've already stated, it's too bad that things had to turn out so bad for her as she had been a genuine voice for social change and activism.

There's no doubt she fabricated her background story and may have used this to ingratiate herself with the NAACP. Does that make her trustworthy? probably not. Does it mean she can't call herself black? who the heck decides that?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 4:58 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

There's no doubt she fabricated her background story and may have used this to ingratiate herself with the NAACP. Does that make her trustworthy? probably not. Does it mean she can't call herself black? who the heck decides that?

I imagine she can call herself anything she wants. It's a free country.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 5:32 am

Now matter how tempting it could be sometimes, I can’t call myself “black”— because I’m light-skinned, light-haired, have no recent (500 years or less) African ancestors, or any dark-skinned ancestors, and don’t feel culturally “black.”

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2020, 5:42 am

people reinvent themselves all the time, though an unlucky number of them get castigated for it. opera singer amy camus reversed the letters of her name, ET VOILA! "yma sumac, exotic singer." many more examples where that came from.