White guy kills multiple people in black church

Page 8 of 15 [ 240 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 12:48 am

Raptor wrote:
"Dude, chill out."
Please.... :roll:

I know plenty of better means of relaxation than ballistics. That said, if I had the space to use one responsibly I would probably own a Howitzer.

You're welcome to say you want to deep fry & eat every president and prime minister in the world for all I care. All I really mean is that you have no idea who could be reading this thread as you type. It's not that something must be done about your gun advocacy, only that something will be done. However semantically insignificant, you're advocating for one of many driving forces behind genocide.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 12:51 am

cberg wrote:
Slavery never ended, it was just expanded to enslave practically everyone. One sure way to enslave oneself is being armed to the teeth. All that means is a military-industrial complex built on your back.

And you won't believe just how large that military-industrial complex really is. However, I'm presently employed by a small defense contractor so it's paying my bills. A few years ago the libs on the PPR forum fussed and swiveled about me being a defense contractor but I was actually on a NASA contract then. They just made the assumption and I let them go on believing.
But I do believe in a strong national defense (or offense for that matter) and you won't see that change about me.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 1:01 am

I'm well aware, thanks. It's cute when people talk down to the hacking public. NASA I may work for, I will never touch your business because as I said I've made quite a few promises not to, because the only excuse for building so many weapons is probably alien invasion. Otherwise they just make mutually assured destruction all the more plausible. Instead of building death machines I'll instead be focusing my energies on learning more Russian.

I wouldn't believe you for two seconds if you told me you had ever seen firsthand what even the most rudimentary weapon is capable of. When it happens, and judging by your outlook it probably will, your tune will change before you can even hear it. Good luck affirming your life by effacing others.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 1:13 am

cberg wrote:
Raptor wrote:
"Dude, chill out."

I know plenty of better means of relaxation than ballistics. That said, if I had the space to use one responsibly I would probably own a Howitzer.

You're welcome to say you want to deep fry & eat every president and prime minister in the world for all I care. All I really mean is that you have no idea who could be reading this thread as you type.

I said I wanted to deep fry and eat a president and/or prime minster where?? Find it, please.
Everyone knows I much prefer my national leaders to be breaded and pan fried over a low flame. Deep frying meat just won't do.

cberg wrote:
It's not that something must be done about your gun advocacy, only that something will be done.

Oh my! I am a'feerd now. :o
cberg wrote:
However semantically insignificant, you're advocating for one of many driving forces behind genocide.

And how!
Check out my facebook pic. :D

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 1:17 am

:jester: At least we have lulz...

When there are lulz, I can finally get some sleep. Have fun with your stingers, predator drones and BUKs, I'll be the hippie with the Jiffy Pop, stack of tumbleweeds and the box fan.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 1:22 am

cberg wrote:
I'm well aware, thanks. It's cute when people talk down to the hacking public.

Oh don't feel bad, I talk down to everyone. Condescension is only one of the services I provide. :D

Quote:
NASA I may work for, I will never touch your business because as I said I've made quite a few promises not to, because the only excuse for building so many weapons is probably alien invasion. Otherwise they just make mutually assured destruction all the more plausible. Instead of building death machines I'll instead be focusing my energies on learning more Russian.

Russian can be really annoying to listen to after a while.
I'll pass.

Quote:
I wouldn't believe you for two seconds if you told me you had ever seen firsthand what even the most rudimentary weapon is capable of. When it happens, and judging by your outlook it probably will, your tune will change before you can even hear it. Good luck affirming your life by effacing others.

I sure ain't no peacenik.

Well, that's it for me we're dealing with you is concerned in this thread. If you want to continue derail a thread on this tragic event in Charleston into a personal trollfest you'll have to find another sparring partner.
G'night.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 1:40 am

This is personal for anyone with a conscience. Frankly you're pretty cool, though the last thing anyone close to this massacre wants to see anyone doing is burning bridges. I'll forgive your pejoratives man, I'm just here to keep everyone in the same spirit of pensive reflection I saw on world news.

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 2:20 am

So sad. Such senseless killings. He deserves the worst.

Do we know yet if he was on the spectrum? The way people describe him, he seems to really fit the profile. If he was, it doesn't surprise me.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 4:35 am

KimD wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Terrible. :(
If god exists then where was he if they were in a church when all this happened? :x

If god exists but lets "bad things happen to good people," (a debate for another day) then s/he is either not all-powerful or is simply a total b@st@rd.

My heart goes out to the victims' loved ones as well as to the survivors and their families.

God promised us free-will, so He couldn't stop the gunman----because that would be breaking His promise. God's heart was broken, as well, when this happened, and He sent His angels to care for all of them whose heart hurt / is hurting..... Notice all the people, there, that forgave the gunman? THAT'S where God is at work----in THEM!

God also promised us that He would have vengeance with someone like this gunman----so, don't worry, he'll (the gunman) get his due!!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 9:31 am

Raptor wrote:
Another way of sayng "I can't find where you said gunz are a fix-all but I can't bring myself to admit I was wrong".

I don't know if I'm right or wrong and I'm not that concerned about it.
Raptor wrote:
Slavery ended 150 years ago. If there are repercussions it'll only be using slavery as an excuse. I can't see a bloodbath happening but if there were I would think it would be rather lopsided.

I don't agree that 150 years is enough time to have recovered from slavery. That's only 2 or 3 generations back. And the transition to equality has not been smooth. I think you are naive to think enough time has passed.

Raptor wrote:
"Dude, chill out."

Seriously, this argument isn't about you or your transcript, it's about ideas.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 9:57 am

androbot01 wrote:
I don't know if I'm right or wrong and I'm not that concerned about it.
Raptor wrote:
Slavery ended 150 years ago. If there are repercussions it'll only be using slavery as an excuse. I can't see a bloodbath happening but if there were I would think it would be rather lopsided.

I don't agree that 150 years is enough time to have recovered from slavery. That's only 2 or 3 generations back. And the transition to equality has not been smooth. I think you are naive to think enough time has passed.

I'm thinking there's some "fuzzy math", here..... A generation, generally speaking, can be around 20 years----that would be, like, 7.5 generations, back----so, more than TWICE what you are saying. 3 generations back, would be my great-grandfather , and he was born AFTER the Emancipation Proclamation (and I'm not "20-something").

Even if someone wanted to say a generation is 30 years, that's STILL FIVE generations!!

Regardless, IMO, the point IS, NO ONE living today, has experienced it! No Black person living today, has experienced THAT slavery; and, no WHITE person living today, has been THAT Slave owner!!

IMO, MORE-than-enough time has passed, because of this (no one being alive), and those who want to keep it alive, are doing so, to have a reason to perpetually whine. SURE, LEARN from the past----so that it is not repeated----but, don't LIVE the past!!

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 10:03 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
I'm thinking there's some "fuzzy math", here..... A generation, generally speaking, can be around 20 years----that would be, like, 7.5 generations, back----so, more than TWICE what you are saying. 3 generations back, would be my great-grandfather , and he was born AFTER the Emancipation Proclamation (and I'm not "20-something").

Even if someone wanted to say a generation is 30 years, that's STILL FIVE generations!!

Regardless, IMO, the point IS, NO ONE living today, has experienced it! No Black person living today, has experienced THAT slavery; and, no WHITE person living today, has been THAT Slave owner!!

IMO, MORE-than-enough time has passed, because of this (no one being alive), and those who want to keep it alive, are doing so, to have a reason to perpetually whine. SURE, LEARN from the past----so that it is not repeated----but, don't LIVE the past!!

I'll go with your math because mine sucks.
And I still think it's not enough time. The repercussions of slavery are not just about the dead. The U.S. did not go from slavery to equality with emancipation. Yours is a society that is built on the exploitation of an entire group of people. That the Confederate flag still flies in S.C. is testament to this.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 10:50 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
KimD wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:
Terrible. :(
If god exists then where was he if they were in a church when all this happened? :x

If god exists but lets "bad things happen to good people," (a debate for another day) then s/he is either not all-powerful or is simply a total b@st@rd.

My heart goes out to the victims' loved ones as well as to the survivors and their families.

God promised us free-will, so He couldn't stop the gunman----because that would be breaking His promise. God's heart was broken, as well, when this happened, and He sent His angels to care for all of them whose heart hurt / is hurting..... Notice all the people, there, that forgave the gunman? THAT'S where God is at work----in THEM!

God also promised us that He would have vengeance with someone like this gunman----so, don't worry, he'll (the gunman) get his due!!

Mea culpa for taking this thread off topic, but since we're here, let me say that I don't take comfort in the idea that a divine father would condemn any of his children to hell (or let anyone else take them there). As Robert Ingersoll wrote:

"It [the doctrine of a loving god condemning his children to hell] has covered the cheeks of this world with tears. It has polluted the hearts of children, and poisoned the imaginations of men.... What right have you, sir, Mr. Clergyman, you, minister of the gospel, to stand at the portals of the tomb, at the vestibule of eternity, and fill the future with horror and with fear? I do not believe this doctrine, neither do you. If you did, you could not sleep one moment. Any man who believes it, and has within his breast a decent, throbbing heart, will go insane. A man who believes that doctrine and does not go insane has the heart of a snake and the conscience of a hyena."

As for the people who said they forgive Roof: I heard their words broadcast live, and the pain evident in their voices brought me to tears. I believe that all people are inherently good (their behavior is another issue), and I believe that they may very well forgive him, but at the same time, I know that saying those words is much easier than actually doing it. Parishioners of charismatic churches are as fallible as any others and/but face a lot of pressure to say that sort of thing regardless of how they truly feel.

You and I may forever have different outlooks regarding the nature of the divine and the sources and interpretations of the bible, but those are academic and petty compared to a person's true nature and actions. Please know that I respect what is likely your good character and kind heart.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

DVCal wrote:
So sad. Such senseless killings. He deserves the worst.

Do we know yet if he was on the spectrum? The way people describe him, he seems to really fit the profile. If he was, it doesn't surprise me.

As far as I know he was never referred for professional help so we may never know. I just call him a terrorist.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

androbot01 wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

I'll go with your math because mine sucks.
And I still think it's not enough time. The repercussions of slavery are not just about the dead. The U.S. did not go from slavery to equality with emancipation. Yours is a society that is built on the exploitation of an entire group of people. That the Confederate flag still flies in S.C. is testament to this.

True, we did not go from "slavery to equality with emancipation"----BUT, IMO, it would take BOTH sides----WHITES and BLACKS----for racism to end. IOW, Blacks are now exploiting WHITES, IMO, in not letting "the slavery thing" GO, and throwing it in our faces with every other exhalation----but, nobody's gonna feel sorry for whites, cuz look what we did to THEM. It's circular----whites treated blacks, badly, and they raised themselves UP----blacks treat whites, badly, and now the whites are raising themselves, up, and saying "I'm not putting-up, with this, anymore".

(Note: I am, in NO way, condoning what this kid did, in S.C.----I think it's HORRIBLE, and my heart BREAKS, for them.)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 11:43 am

KimD wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Mea culpa for taking this thread off topic, but since we're here, let me say that I don't take comfort in the idea that a divine father would condemn any of his children to hell (or let anyone else take them there). As Robert Ingersoll wrote:

"It [the doctrine of a loving god condemning his children to hell] has covered the cheeks of this world with tears. It has polluted the hearts of children, and poisoned the imaginations of men.... What right have you, sir, Mr. Clergyman, you, minister of the gospel, to stand at the portals of the tomb, at the vestibule of eternity, and fill the future with horror and with fear? I do not believe this doctrine, neither do you. If you did, you could not sleep one moment. Any man who believes it, and has within his breast a decent, throbbing heart, will go insane. A man who believes that doctrine and does not go insane has the heart of a snake and the conscience of a hyena."

I DO believe this doctrine----and, I DO sleep well at night! I may go insane, though (LOL), but.....

To me, it's like this..... It's no different from an earthly father promising punishment to a child, who doesn't mind him. I don't feel there's anything wrong with that, either, cuz it teaches the kid responsibility for his actions----among other things.....

As for the people who said they forgive Roof: I heard their words broadcast live, and the pain evident in their voices brought me to tears. I believe that all people are inherently good (their behavior is another issue), and I believe that they may very well forgive him, but at the same time, I know that saying those words is much easier than actually doing it. Parishioners of charismatic churches are as fallible as any others and/but face a lot of pressure to say that sort of thing regardless of how they truly feel.

Yes, I agree that some may feel pressure to say that they forgive someone----but, I have ALSO known people who have said it (myself, included), and MEANT it----though, it DID take time to heal. It has my experience that people (myself, included) who have an extremely strong love of God, are able to forgive much more easily.

You and I may forever have different outlooks regarding the nature of the divine and the sources and interpretations of the bible, but those are academic and petty compared to a person's true nature and actions. Please know that I respect what is likely your good character and kind heart.

Yes, I agree that we will "forever have different outlooks"----and, I respect YOU, as well, for being able to speak so civilly, about it.

Take care,

Cat