Worried about Iran? Jeffrey Lewis Isn't.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 6:23 pm

He gives Iran's Nuclear Agreement an A and he is one to consult on the subject of nuclear proliferation so skeptics and certain Republican politicians can breathe a sigh of relief!

Quote:
Jeffrey Lewis was so eager to read the Iran nuclear deal that he woke up at 3:30 am California time to pore through all 150-plus pages of the text. Lewis is a nukes super nerd: He's the director of the East Asia Nonproliferation Program at the Monterey Institute of International Studies, and also runs an excellent arms control blog network and arms control podcast and has a regular arms control column in Foreign Policy. He is the person to talk to on this.

When Lewis and I first spoke, in early 2015, he was skeptical, as a lot of arms control analysts were. He was skeptical that the US, world powers, and Iran would ever reach a nuclear deal. And he was skeptical that if they did reach a deal, it would be good enough. But when the negotiators released the "framework" in April, describing the broad strokes, Lewis came away impressed and happily surprised — but with some caveats and some unanswered questions.

I called up Lewis to see what he thought of the final deal. His assessment was very positive: Asked to grade the deal, he said,"I would give it an A."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 8:16 pm

If the deal is is not enforced it won't be because Iran "tested the limits". Iran and everybody does this. It will be because in 5 or 10 years the west won't give a s**t because they will have long moved on to some other scare.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 10:20 pm

Interesting.

But could this guy persuade Netanyahu to breath a sigh of relief?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

18 Jul 2015, 10:25 pm

You have to support the deal, what is the alternative? War is not the answer.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2015, 11:28 pm

we are going to worry about iran for 30-50 years regardless.