American Dentist kills Endangered Lion in Zimbabwe.

Page 4 of 16 [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 12:05 am

auntblabby wrote:
if they are not gonna use the dead animal for anything other than a decoration, they are IMHO morally bankrupt and needlessly atavistic other than in sheer bloody-mindedness. "sport" hunting is MURDER.

Eh, that's one of those opinions.

But anyway,

If you can use them to pay for it, then you may as well. Rarely do people give up the funds required to save something if they don't get something tangible out of it*.

Morally bankrupt? Perhaps. But if it saves the majority, then there's the devil in the details.

*If every outraged person gave say, 50,000.00 dollars, lions would be saved (I guess you could use a ratio for funds earned; say a doctor does 50 thousand, and a poor person does 5 thousand; you'd have more than enough in short order).

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 1:00 am

It's not clear yet that the dentist knowingly did anything illegal, but internet lynch mobs being, well, lynch mobs, don't care to wait for the facts before pillorying this guy and trying to destroy his livelihood. Animal stories are the worst for this, I'm convinced many of these people would be less offended by a video of a child being molested than by one of a puppy being kicked, and as this case demonstrates, often have no idea of the legal and/or ethical issues surrounding whatever has enraged them, acting purely on said rage without a single rational thought.

Here's an article on sport hunting that goes into some detail regarding the conservationist benefits of hunting, specifically elephant hunting, and the fact that African states that allow trophy hunting have had far more success in rebounding populations of endangered species, and less trouble with poachers.

http://www.gq.com/long-form/who-wants-t ... n-elephant?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 2:40 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I despise these so called trophy hunters they are nothing but scum, soon there will be no wildlife left in the world.
I am so angry right now words fail me.

You CAN be a trophy hunter and still keep the meat of animals considered edible. Most trophy hunters in the US and Canada also keep the meat and make good use of it. I don't live in Africa so I don't really care what they do over there. That's for Africans to fuss over.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 7:16 am

Quote:
On Tuesday, Palmer said in a statement, "I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt," CBS reported.
"I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt," Palmer said, according to CBS. "I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

USA Today
I think blaming the guides is pretty lame. He's a successful dentist, he can't be that dumb.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 7:41 am

Dox47 wrote:
It's not clear yet that the dentist knowingly did anything illegal, but internet lynch mobs being, well, lynch mobs, don't care to wait for the facts before pillorying this guy and trying to destroy his livelihood. Animal stories are the worst for this, I'm convinced many of these people would be less offended by a video of a child being molested than by one of a puppy being kicked, and as this case demonstrates, often have no idea of the legal and/or ethical issues surrounding whatever has enraged them, acting purely on said rage without a single rational thought.

Here's an article on sport hunting that goes into some detail regarding the conservationist benefits of hunting, specifically elephant hunting, and the fact that African states that allow trophy hunting have had far more success in rebounding populations of endangered species, and less trouble with poachers.

http://www.gq.com/long-form/who-wants-t ... n-elephant?

It's because this particular lion is dear to people's heart. It's a famous one. So, naturally they are upset this iconic animal was killed.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 7:42 am

androbot01 wrote:
Quote:
On Tuesday, Palmer said in a statement, "I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt," CBS reported.
"I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt," Palmer said, according to CBS. "I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

USA Today
I think blaming the guides is pretty lame. He's a successful dentist, he can't be that dumb.

For all we know he could have targeted the lion because it's the best looking one. He's a trophy hunter. What I take issue with is them hunting any threatened species. When one is threatened, everything's coming together creating a perfect storm type scenario that could obliterate the species so humans should show some self restraint and control at this point and not add to that storm, and do what they can to stop it.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 8:10 am

Keep in mind this particular lion lives, typically, on protected land anyway. It was lured away. I think they need to go after the one who PAID the poachers because that's the only way they will send a message, it's unacceptable, think twice before you pay for something like this. Be careful and be sure it is a legal hunt. Ignorance is never a legal defense. If they don't take this opportunity to send out a strong message then it will just get worse especially with all this publicity. They will look at him and think, he got away with it, I can do it too! It will be a windfall profit for any future poachers. It will only encourage them unless the government can somehow stop them. So far, they haven't been successful at that or this lion wouldn't have been poached. This entire incident is an example of POACHING not a legal hunt.

And since old Cecil was born in 1960 and, judging from very impressive pictures of him, he is indeed a majestic old lion and might have even been targeted since he was old. He's old, they rationalize, so it's okay to hunt him! Plus, he's beautiful, no need for that beauty to go to waste. If this lion had died of natural causes, why couldn't the dentist pay for his pelt and head after the fact. He has stabbed at the hearts of a great many animal lover.

Oh wait, it wasn't the lion that was born in 1960, it was Walter Palmer. I was reading something that was a bit ambiguous hehe. Made it sound like they were writing about the lion with the use of a pronoun instead of a proper name but a Google search clarified that. Not sure what the age of Cecil is but he certainly is a nice looking example of the species.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 8:58 am

Dillogic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Right now they are trying to get the lion declared an endangered species in the US, and they will make a decision in the fall. Right now it's official designation is "threatened." So you think it's fine and dandy to trophy kill a species that's been declared threatened, meaning it's numbers are so low it could be declared endangered soon enough?

If the money goes to saving the species, then you bet I'm for killing individual lions.

Canned lion hunting is one of the reasons why it's threatened in the first place. So, you think that hunting more of them will save the species? You've got a few rocks in your head if you think that.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:09 am

Dillogic wrote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I hope you agree when a species is low in numbers, it should have the opportunity to regain them before anyone hunts it. When a species is threatened, like this one, it's numbers are declining. Now's the time to back off and let the numbers go back up, however long it takes.

Of course. I, after all, help threatened critters on my property; conserving the natural landscape is important to me.

I lay blame on the guides in this case if the dentist truly thought he was on a canned safari and thought what he shot was wild (poor shooting, though). This is if they did lure him out of the park and didn't have the right permits/licenses. There's no point for people to threaten him and try to ruin his business if he didn't do wrong.

Look, even if you talk about proper hunting, actual real hunting means that the lion not only has chance to escape but actually has a chance to kill you, like hunting in the good old days. If the lion was lured into a trap, then that's called a canned hunt and the lion has no chance, it's unfair. That's why it's unethical to do in any case.

Besides, this is the kind of thing that has actually caused lions to become threatened, so for God's sake allowing more of it is not going to conserve the species, it's going to make it worse.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 9:12 am

In truth, in real hunting man has an exceptionally difficult time killing nearly anything but a tortoise, even with a gun, because he's slow and he's loud and he's not agile. Nearly all the animals are. He's not. So he makes up for his evolutionary lack by staging these types of scenarios so he can feel on par with these evolutionary blessed animals.

Even the most athletic, conditioned man is slow and weak compared to a cheetah, bear or lion. Don't be jealous of these animals. It's not their fault they have these evolutionary gifts. It's not man's current destiny to be as fast or physically strong as they. Mankind needs to accept it's weaknesses, not punish these animals.

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 Jul 2015, 11:17 am

With his history, Palmer has no leg to stand on when he pleads ignorance. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Jul 2015, 11:36 am

A lot of the money that goes into hunting goes back into conservation, many of these habitats would never be maintained unless there was money to be made off it. This is something a lot animal rights people don't understand, they also don't understand that the animal population needs to be maintained or else the whole ecosystem can go out of wack. I don't know about African safaris but I grow up in a deer hunting state, in the fall there are something like 600K hunters that take to the woods to partake every year back home. Anybody that has ever lived in a rural area with a lot of deer would understand the importance culling the herd. This is done for the people, the animal, and the ecosystem. Venison is also good to eat.

FWIW I wouldn't call these private reserves where they bait and corner the animal for you then drive you up to the animal to really be hunting, more like shooting fish in a barrel. Remember Dick Chaney shooting his friend in the face on one of these trips? This might be what it take to fund conservation but I don't liken what they do to what my family and culture has done for generations.

Personally I am not a hunter, I don't have the patience or material means to do it and I don't get any joy out of killing for sport. I've been thinking about trying it again tho as a way of spending time with my father and I definitely can use the food. Not much hunting out west it seems.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 11:51 am

Jacoby wrote:
Personally I am not a hunter, I don't have the patience or material means to do it and I don't get any joy out of killing for sport.

I would only hunt to eat and I wouldn't enjoy it.
Frankly I think trophy hunting is decadent and self-indulgent.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 12:37 pm

Consequences for Palmer:

CNN

Quote:
The apology has fallen flat on Twitter where the hashtag #WalterPalmer is being used to hurl insults and threats at the dentist, who allegedly paid at least $50,000 to hunt and kill the animal.

"A poor excuse of a human being." "A killer." "Satan."

Twitter insults were hurled by model Cara Delevingne, actress Alyssa Milano and presenter Sharon Osbourne, who between them have 8.39 million followers.

Quote:
Presenter Jimmy Kimmel started choking up during an impassioned speech about Cecil on his show, which ended with an appeal for donations to the Oxford University program that had been tracking Cecil as part of a conservation program.

While calling Palmer an "a-hole dentist" and a "jackal," Kimmel said, "I don't think the answer is to start a witchhunt for the guy..."

Business Insider

Quote:
...came from social media, where people have been calling for Palmer to be hunted and killed. The animal-rights group PETA called for Palmer to be hanged, and others have said he should be publicly shamed...The threats prompted Palmer to close his dental practice. Palmer's dental practice's Facebook page was taken offline on Tuesday, Vice News reports; it had received many nasty comments. Vice notes that people" left stuffed animals at the door to his shuttered office Tuesday in a sign of protest." Palmer has spoken out, saying he was "upset" over the comments and threats he was receiving and still insists he did not know the lion he killed was protected and that he regrets killing the animal.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 12:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
A lot of the money that goes into hunting goes back into conservation, many of these habitats would never be maintained unless there was money to be made off it. This is something a lot animal rights people don't understand, they also don't understand that the animal population needs to be maintained or else the whole ecosystem can go out of wack. I don't know about African safaris but I grow up in a deer hunting state, in the fall there are something like 600K hunters that take to the woods to partake every year back home. Anybody that has ever lived in a rural area with a lot of deer would understand the importance culling the herd. This is done for the people, the animal, and the ecosystem. Venison is also good to eat.

FWIW I wouldn't call these private reserves where they bait and corner the animal for you then drive you up to the animal to really be hunting, more like shooting fish in a barrel. Remember Dick Chaney shooting his friend in the face on one of these trips? This might be what it take to fund conservation but I don't liken what they do to what my family and culture has done for generations.

Personally I am not a hunter, I don't have the patience or material means to do it and I don't get any joy out of killing for sport. I've been thinking about trying it again tho as a way of spending time with my father and I definitely can use the food. Not much hunting out west it seems.

Okay under that logic, let me ask you, Lions, considered one of the top predators - who besides man, in the wild, preys on them? What if man were not in the picture? Who would prey on grown lions? And let me ask you this - Who preys on another top predator - man? No one preys on humans nor is it expected any other animal "cull" the human herd.

See how strange this logic is?

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2015, 1:18 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Dillogic wrote:
Nothing wrong with killing lions as long as it's done legally and the money goes to conservation.

In this case, it appears there's some legal shoddiness going down by the land owner (innocent till proven guilty, though; I wouldn't trust the Zimbabwe justice system at all).

Right now they are trying to get the lion declared an endangered species in the US, and they will make a decision in the fall. Right now it's official designation is "threatened." So you think it's fine and dandy to trophy kill a species that's been declared threatened, meaning it's numbers are so low it could be declared endangered soon enough?

I suspect that if it weren't for trophy hunting of lions, there would be very few lions, if any, left. The money they bring in for trophy hunting gives them a substantial economic value. Without hunting, they would have little economic value.