Check out this disturbing video of Officer cuffing 8 y child

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:29 am

It's just sad the way people treat kids these days! This made me sick to my stomach. Kids are not here to be abused! The message this sends is horrific! When watching a video like this, no need to ever question WHY there are so many disturbed kids these days and there will be an influx of people who will applaud this kid being handcuffed. It's just child abuse and it's going to make this child's behavior worse. Disability or not, this kind of response should never be endorsed or lauded in any way.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 8:38 am

Even given that the Officer was not properly trained, he must be a complete idiot to think this made sense.

I wonder why they even had a "resource officer" in elementary school?

It seems to me that witless parents have irrational fears about violence against their children and create a situation in which their children will encounter coercive force. It's disgusting.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 1:00 pm

"to protect and serve"

Ask that little boy if he feels protected and served.

This is what we have become...stare deeply into the void

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 2:17 pm

That officer should be arrested and charged with child abuse, if not fired immediately.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 3:02 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
That officer should be arrested and charged with child abuse, if not fired immediately.

What should be and what is are often far apart when it comes to the police:
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... lf-defense

If you can get a slap on the wrist for planning to murder citizens and cover it up, why would any punishment come to a thug who handcuffs special ed students in elementary school?

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 3:24 pm

The issue is not the cop so much as the whole idea of involving police in school discipline.

The head of the school is at fault. The cop was just doing what cops do.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 4:22 pm

Yeah, I saw this aren't cops trained to talk and defuse a situation?! and what's even sad on a local TV outlet's FB page many are praising the cop for cuffing the kid and are saying that the kid should have his paints pulled down and spanked on his bare butt by his parents (got to love southern conservative thinking :( ) I also saw a video of 4-5 cops dog piling an Autistic 12 year old in school There's things I can tolerate and there's things that I cant and traumatizing or abusing kids is where I draw the line

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 6:07 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
The issue is not the cop so much as the whole idea of involving police in school discipline.

Not as the ACLU attorneys see it:
https://www.aclu.org/cases/sr-v-kenton- ... ffs-office
Quote:
In addition to Sumner, the lawsuit names Kenton County Sheriff Chuck Korzenborn, alleging his failure to adequately train and supervise Sumner, a school resource officer for several public elementary schools in Covington. The complaint further claims that the Kenton County Sheriff’s Office violated the Americans with Disabilities Act based on its treatment of the children.

In both cases, Sumner was the school resource officer who handcuffed the children. The lawsuit seeks an order requiring a change in policies by the Kenton County Sheriff's Office, and additional training for school resource officers in dealing with young children and children with special needs. It also seeks an unspecified amount of monetary damages against Sumner.

The groups say that law enforcement in schools must be trained on how to work with children with disabilities and trauma. Learning de-escalation skills should be as common as fire drills for schools and any law enforcement officers who serve them.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

04 Aug 2015, 8:56 pm

This officer should be suspended for several months, if not fired. You just don't do that to ADHD children, or autistic children, or cerebral palsy children, or Down's syndrome children, or ANY CHILD THAT HAS A DISABILITY!!
I'm not surprised where it happened - Kentucky, where if spanking was allowed, almost all teachers would adopt it. We DON'T live in 1955 anymore. We don't call every disabled child a "ret*d" anymore. We know more about disabilities than ever before, and handcuffing/spanking makes problems worse. The teacher, and/or parents, should have been involved - not police.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2015, 9:10 pm

Well yeah, school is just prison for kids.

blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 12:00 am

Adamantium wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

That's probably the best angle for litigation but the moral issue rests on the head of the principal.

This business of having a cop at the school and utilizing the police force for student discipline is wrong.

The cops should only be involved when something is so serious that it can't be ethically handled by faculty and parents combined.

The stakes are very real. This nonsense gets out of hand, and then you have things like an 11 year old girl with a sexual assault charge on her record because she kissed someone by surprise and they didn't like it. Yeah, that's a real example.

It's lazy and morally bankrupt for the school to resort to this crap.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 3:04 am

It's the world we've created (or allow to be created) for ourselves out of negligence and fear of litigation. Put cops in a position to do what we don't want to touch and cops are gonna do what cops are gonna do. I'm half surprised the flatfoot didnt taze him for crying. Give it another decade and we'll be so numb to seeing s**t like this we won't bat an eye it'll be so commonplace.

I see the day coming when a kid like that of that age (give or take) gets charged with a federal crime over something like this under some catch-all feelgood law and actually faces time in a federal pen over some callous misapplication of justice. You can laugh at the suggestion now but seeing BS like this video and knowing it goes on more than we know (sometimes probably worse) brings the scenario I mentioned a little closer to reality.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 3:47 am

Welcome once again to POLICE-STATE U.S.S.A. Anybody who doesn't realise by now that we ARE living in a Police-State is either completely Delusional or lives under a Rock or equivalent.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 8:33 am

blauSamstag wrote:
Adamantium wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:

That's probably the best angle for litigation but the moral issue rests on the head of the principal.

The Principal is likely acting under direction from the Board of Education, which in turn consists of members voted for by the town. If it's like what I have seen elsewhere, the parents forced the Board of Education to take this foolish step out of fear that their little ones were in danger.

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 11:41 am

Raptor wrote:
It's the world we've created (or allow to be created) for ourselves out of negligence and fear of litigation. Put cops in a position to do what we don't want to touch and cops are gonna do what cops are gonna do. I'm half surprised the flatfoot didnt taze him for crying. Give it another decade and we'll be so numb to seeing s**t like this we won't bat an eye it'll be so commonplace.

I see the day coming when a kid like that of that age (give or take) gets charged with a federal crime over something like this under some catch-all feelgood law and actually faces time in a federal pen over some callous misapplication of justice. You can laugh at the suggestion now but seeing BS like this video and knowing it goes on more than we know (sometimes probably worse) brings the scenario I mentioned a little closer to reality.

Yes. The cop is in "arrest the perp" mode because that is what cops do. I am scared that what you foresee will actually come about. There is some outrage and given enough time that outrage will calcify into numbness when things like this happen. But a disturbingly common reaction is "yay! get that brat!!". It's that "brat had it coming" reaction which will accelerate it to what you predict and the numbness of previously outraged people will let it happen.

Weirdly, counterintuitively, I think the IDEA law which requires "least restrictive school environment" for kids with disabilities is partly to blame. It was originally written to stop the warehousing of disabled kids by getting them into the most mainstream classroom they could function in. Before IDEA, disabled kids were barely educated because "out of sight, out of mind". Putting them into mainstream classrooms to the extent possible got them the education they deserved because they couldn't be ignored.

But sometimes, a mainstream classroom is not the right place for a kid with disibilities (ADHD in this case). So transfer the kid to a special needs school. That should be the thing to do. Right. But even if the parents and/or the teachers want that transfer, the school system doesn't because those schools are more expensive per student. And why are they now when they didn't used to be? Because they no longer are warehouses. In recent decades, the special needs schools have become places where real education happens but it happens at a price, the price of having a lower student/teacher ratio. It is a lot cheaper to have the kid in a mainstream classroom and call in a cop when the kid has an outburst.

My daughter goes to a special needs school. She does so because of outbursts probably similar to what this kid had because lower functioning autism+loud and crowded classroom turned out to be a bad match. Who could have seen that coming. :roll: After a multitude of outbursts that would have gotten her cuffed had there been a cop on premises (but there wasn't, yay for small favors) she got the transfer that everybody except the administrators wanted.

The school she is at now has a constant stream of "incoming", kids who are transfers from public mainstream classrooms after situations like the one filmed. This is no warehouse. The kids get a real education and the teachers are all experts in de-escalation. I've seen them de-escalate situations that would have ended in tazing if a cop were there.

After a few months, most of the "incoming" kids stop lashing out (my daughter stopped :P ) although some never do. The teachers also teach the parents how to de-escalate at home (it's a skill that does not come naturally) which also helps a lot. And most importantly of all, they teach the kids (when possible) how to de-escalate THEMSELVES. That's a skill they won't learn in a mainstream classroom and they sure won't learn it from a cop cuffing them and telling them they brought it on themselves. But it is a life skill that can be literally life saving when the same kid is in public and around cops who may act more lethally to somebody who never learned how to de-escalate themselves.

I wish IDEA could be tweaked some way that would both prevent a reversion to warehousing and also make it easier for kids who are prone to lashing out to get in to the schools staffed by people who really know how to de-escalate.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2015, 1:18 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Well yeah, school is just prison for kids.

Correct.