Automat - Renamed and Equipped with Tablets!

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

02 Sep 2015, 5:55 am

It's called Eatsa and so far there's only one in San Francisco but it has a lot in common with Automats although no one has linked the two.

Patrons never have to see the messy humans who prepare their food at Eatsa!

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... pad-orders

And here's the real Automat -

http://www.theautomat.net/

In case you haven't heard of them.



blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

02 Sep 2015, 11:29 am

It's not even an automat. It's an alacarte vegitarian restaurant with lockers instead of waitstaff.

Automats were more cafeteria style.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

02 Sep 2015, 6:52 pm

blauSamstag wrote:
It's not even an automat. It's an alacarte vegitarian restaurant with lockers instead of waitstaff.

Automats were more cafeteria style.



It looks a lot like an Automat.



cberg
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 31 Dec 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 10,417
Location: Boulder CO

02 Sep 2015, 7:04 pm

In my city we can order marijuana this way. I gotta remember to try it...


_________________
"Standing on a well-chilled cinder, we see the fading of the suns, and try to recall the vanished brilliance of the origin of the worlds."
-Georges Lemaitre
"I fly through hyperspace, in my green computer interface"
-Gem Tos :mrgreen:


blauSamstag
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2011
Age: 44
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,027

02 Sep 2015, 11:08 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
blauSamstag wrote:
It's not even an automat. It's an alacarte vegitarian restaurant with lockers instead of waitstaff.

Automats were more cafeteria style.



It looks a lot like an Automat.


Yeah but at the automat the food was already loaded into the machine when you got there.

At this place you order from a tablet, someone in the back makes your food, and then puts it into a box for you.



ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jun 2008
Gender: Female
Posts: 13,399

05 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm

blauSamstag wrote:

Yeah but at the automat the food was already loaded into the machine when you got there.

At this place you order from a tablet, someone in the back makes your food, and then puts it into a box for you.


That's an improvement because you know your food hasn't been sitting in that godawful box for Lord only knows how long. Still resembles an Automat though. Glad it's less Automated and it's just for the sake of appearance.



Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,545
Location: USA

05 Sep 2015, 5:45 pm

When there's a food service that guarantees me there's not a teenager doing gross crap with my food in the kitchen then I'll be excited.



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 77
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,747
Location: On top of the world

07 Sep 2015, 12:11 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
When there's a food service that guarantees me there's not a teenager doing gross crap with my food in the kitchen then I'll be excited.


And without someone taking a poop in the cucumber patch too?

Filthy people come in all ages.

Only a fully automatic system would suit your demands and I haven't heard of anything like that yet. :(



Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,545
Location: USA

07 Sep 2015, 12:38 pm

ZenDen wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
When there's a food service that guarantees me there's not a teenager doing gross crap with my food in the kitchen then I'll be excited.


And without someone taking a poop in the cucumber patch too?

Filthy people come in all ages.

Only a fully automatic system would suit your demands and I haven't heard of anything like that yet. :(


True, but if we're being honest I'd say the vast majority of food tampering in the fast food services is done by younger people, not older ones.

A fully automatic system is technically doable, even with current technology. When the price of industrial scale robotic hardware dips, which is an inevitability with our current technological course, we'll see about every food service out there become almost fully automated. Cashiers are about the only place I don't see automation making significant headway, and that's due to human reluctance to interact with a machine and not a technical limitation.



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,055
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

07 Sep 2015, 6:23 pm

...I read about it in the San Francisco Chronicle (SF Gate) the other day , their story did link the two ~ when I first read it I thought that the Chron's reporter had neglected to make the connection to the old NYC Automat , but when I read it carefully , I saw that she had .
I am in San Francisco (I can't get my location to change , and I HAVE done the " Change " thing , it won't register tho :( ) , where are you ???


ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
It's called Eatsa and so far there's only one in San Francisco but it has a lot in common with Automats although no one has linked the two.

Patrons never have to see the messy humans who prepare their food at Eatsa!

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015 ... pad-orders

And here's the real Automat -

http://www.theautomat.net/

In case you haven't heard of them.



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,055
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

07 Sep 2015, 6:43 pm

...Speaking of , uh , " mass food " in New York City of the more-or-less around World War II years...Does anybody know anything about a restaurant(Sp??) (chain of restaraunts ???????) known as Hamburger Heaven , or Hamburg Heaven , or something similar to that ???
When I've read writing set in the NYC of that era I've occasionally seen references to it - For one , IIRC , in Truman Capote's original long short story " Breakfast At Tiffany's " (not the movie) , where the action takes place in the 1940s , I recall a reference in passing to it (Just " we went to Hamburg Heaven and talked a while " , like that .) , to name a still well-known piece of writing that is easily findable . What was it ??? I once did some more looking up of it but , though I could find some contemporary restaraunts of that name , I don't think they seemed to have any links to that earlier one , if I've run into the name of the earlier , others could have as well .
It would be hard to look this up more , unless there's some group somewhere about (raelly) old nYC landmarks/places , and I'm not in any if (I suppose there are) there are any .
I avoided saying " fast food " , since the McDonalds-type definition of that sort of belonged to a later era , I'll assume that this was more a " real " restaurant ~ Perhaps , in today's marketing jargon , sort of " fast casual " ?
BTW , in Rogers & Hart's song " Manhattan " (" We'll have Manhattan...") there's a reference to Child's , I believe another " fast casual " sort of resturaunt then :P :| ...



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,055
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

07 Sep 2015, 6:55 pm

..." and he always wants to meet you in Hamburg Heaven: that's because he's fat "-Capote , from BAT :!: :P :mrgreen:



ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Feb 2007
Age: 60
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,055
Location: Santa Cruz , CA , USA

07 Sep 2015, 7:19 pm

...I have tried to put this up (Hamburg Heaven ???) as a question at Yahoo! Answers - under " Travel " , that seemed the best possible available line for it - but it looks like it isn't going up :( -



ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Jul 2013
Age: 77
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,747
Location: On top of the world

09 Sep 2015, 11:15 am

Aristophanes wrote:
ZenDen wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
When there's a food service that guarantees me there's not a teenager doing gross crap with my food in the kitchen then I'll be excited.


And without someone taking a poop in the cucumber patch too?

Filthy people come in all ages.

Only a fully automatic system would suit your demands and I haven't heard of anything like that yet. :(


True, but if we're being honest I'd say the vast majority of food tampering in the fast food services is done by younger people, not older ones.

A fully automatic system is technically doable, even with current technology. When the price of industrial scale robotic hardware dips, which is an inevitability with our current technological course, we'll see about every food service out there become almost fully automated. Cashiers are about the only place I don't see automation making significant headway, and that's due to human reluctance to interact with a machine and not a technical limitation.


You say:
"True, but if we're being honest I'd say the vast majority of food tampering in the fast food services is done by younger people, not older ones."

I'm not totally sure what you mean by "tampering." Do you mean "spit in food", or do you instead mean "stick their grubby un-washed hands in it, or use unhealthy handling methods?"

If you meant the later then I'd disagree and say my experience has shown me most laborers (almost all) in the mass production of food, and also the mass poisoning by food (and when I say "mass poisoning" I mean E Coli, Listeria, etc.......the big killers), are adult workers and sometimes top management.

Some kids may be slobs but the adult's actions border on (or are evidence of) criminal action.