Regal Theatres Will Now Check Bags and Purses.....

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 5:13 am

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/08/19/regal-theaters-may-search-bags-door/32012439/

Quote:
Regal Entertainment Group, the nation's largest movie-theater chain, with about 7,300 screens across America, has quietly added a new security warning to its website, acknowledging the potential inconvenience for moviegoers.

"Security issues have become a daily part of our lives in America. Regal Entertainment Group wants our customers and staff to feel comfortable and safe when visiting or working in our theatres," the site says. "To ensure the safety of our guests and employees, backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to admission.

"We acknowledge that this procedure can cause some inconvenience and that it is not without flaws, but hope these are minor in comparison to increased safety."

I think this is kind-of silly----I mean, unless they're gonna frisk people, as well.....

The Colorado guy, propped-open the door and brought his guns in----the Louisiana guy brought-in a gun under his coat, I think.....

They just want people to think they're doing something.....

Bottom line, for ME, is..... If someone wants to blow people, away, they'll find a way to do it.

Xenization
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:54 am

It's like when they used to make kids practice hiding under their desks in the event that a nuclear bomb was dropped.

This is more symbolic than anything.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 9:50 am

I think they are checking bags because of the shootings.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 10:28 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2015/08/19/regal-theaters-may-search-bags-door/32012439/

Quote:
Regal Entertainment Group, the nation's largest movie-theater chain, with about 7,300 screens across America, has quietly added a new security warning to its website, acknowledging the potential inconvenience for moviegoers.

"Security issues have become a daily part of our lives in America. Regal Entertainment Group wants our customers and staff to feel comfortable and safe when visiting or working in our theatres," the site says. "To ensure the safety of our guests and employees, backpacks and bags of any kind are subject to inspection prior to admission.

"We acknowledge that this procedure can cause some inconvenience and that it is not without flaws, but hope these are minor in comparison to increased safety."

I think this is kind-of silly----I mean, unless they're gonna frisk people, as well.....

The Colorado guy, propped-open the door and brought his guns in----the Louisiana guy brought-in a gun under his coat, I think.....

Bottom line, for ME, is..... If someone wants to blow people, away, they'll find a way to do it.

Considering movie ticket sales are at an all time low, bad idea. Warren isn't doing this so I would just go there. That's only for a must see movie, like the Christmas release of The Hateful 8. Since so much of what they are showing right now is pretty much crap, it's a better option to watch them on video later. Statistically speaking, you are safer in a movie theater than in your house though.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 10:31 am

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

Quote:

Considering movie ticket sales are at an all time low, bad idea. Warren isn't doing this so I would just go there. That's only for a must see movie, like the Christmas release of The Hateful 8. Since so much of what they are showing right now is pretty much crap, it's a better option to watch them on video later. Statistically speaking, you are safer in a movie theater than in your house though.

True, frisking people is only going to make ticket sales go lower.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 11:13 am

Wouldn't surprise me if they are also using this as an opportunity to look for other contraband like smuggled in food. They dont like it when you circumvent being robbed at thier concession counter by bringing in your own.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 11:26 am

I think the general plan is to create lines of people in front of the security checkpoints, so any terrorists will find a soft, target rich environment should they approach a Regal Theater. That's the obvious consequence, so it must be what they want, right?

Alternatively, they don't care about anyone's security at all, but some risk analysis suggested they might be vulnerable to a lawsuit if they don't take some action, so the "security measure" is designed to protect the chain from suits, not the patrons from shrapnel, blast or bullets.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2015, 11:30 am

Adamantium wrote:
I think the general plan is to create lines of people in front of the security checkpoints, so any terrorists will find a soft, target rich environment should they approach a Regal Theater. That's the obvious consequence, so it must be what they want, right?

Alternatively, they don't care about anyone's security at all, but some risk analysis suggested they might be vulnerable to a lawsuit if they don't take some action, so the "security measure" is designed to protect the chain from suits, not the patrons from shrapnel, blast or bullets.

So basically Regal doesn't care about safety, it only cares about not getting lawsuits? And if they are doing this to not get lawsuits or get sued, Regal is a bunch or greedy bas*****.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 12:27 pm

Aspie202 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

So basically Regal doesn't care about safety, it only cares about not getting lawsuits? And if they are doing this to not get lawsuits or get sued, Regal is a bunch or greedy bas*****.

They are a collective entity and they are subject to business forces including calculations of profit and loss, return on investment and risk mitigation. The behavior they exhibit is predictable and normal. The individual humans who are their executive officers would likely prefer that their patrons not be shot, but that is not what this measure is about. The recent movie shooting prompted them to review their policies and they found a risk, then they took measures to reduce that risk. As a publicly traded company, they have legal responsibilities to their shareholders. It's just business.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 1:46 pm

Damn, my wife won't be able to sneak in pop and candy in her purse anymore. We'll have to pay exorbitant prices for drinks and snacks like everyone else. :x

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 3:31 pm

Raptor wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if they are also using this as an opportunity to look for other contraband like smuggled in food.

LOL I totally thought of that----I was like: "Well, I guess I will only be going to the movies during the winter, now, so I can sneak-in popcorn, in an inside pocket of my coat" (in the way that someone ELSE will be sneaking-in, a gun).

They dont like it when you circumvent being robbed at thier concession counter by bringing in your own.

They shouldn't be chargin' so friggin' much, for "movie fare", then!

I mean, they want to blame customers, and get angry at them for bringing-in food, but they can't see that THEY are the reason people do it?

I am sick-to-DEATH of people taking advantage of others----like, the corner store that charges an exorbitant amount for whatever product, because they know people will pay for convenience.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 3:40 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Wouldn't surprise me if they are also using this as an opportunity to look for other contraband like smuggled in food.

LOL I totally thought of that----I was like: "Well, I guess I will only be going to the movies during the winter, now, so I can sneak-in popcorn, in an inside pocket of my coat" (in the way that someone ELSE will be sneaking-in, a gun).

They dont like it when you circumvent being robbed at thier concession counter by bringing in your own.

I mean, they want to blame customers, and get angry at them for bringing-in food, but they can't see that THEY are the reason people do it?

I am sick-to-DEATH of people taking advantage of others----like, the corner store that charges an exorbitant amount for whatever product, because they know people will pay for convenience.

The theater management has to overcharge, since they sure don't make money by booking the films being currently being shown.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2015, 8:54 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

The theater management has to overcharge, since they sure don't make money by booking the films being currently being shown.

That is absolutely true. I understand their choice in pricing drinks and snacks, but I don't have to like it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 2:04 am

Meistersinger wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:
Raptor wrote:

Then it's a sad state of affairs when a theater, most of which have 10-20+ viewing rooms and $8-9 per ticket, can't make enough off of movies themselves that they have to charge $4.75 for a medium coke .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 2:09 am

dammit, cause I really want to pay more for their overpriced food/drink....oh wait, pockets.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2015, 3:44 am

Aspie202 wrote:
Adamantium wrote:

It's rarely about actual safety. The question isn't so much who can get hurt and how but how well it will play in terms of litigation.

A company I used to work for had a guy get KILLED in on the job whilst doing his job. However, since it was on a part of the installation that was controlled by another federal agency (not the one our contract was with) upper management didn't care. When asked during a quarterly all-hands meeting right after the death, our program director very dismissively said that the incident didn't happen on his watch so it was irrelevant. I could have sworn I heard the sound made when that many jaws dropped in disbelief.

Another time someone suffered a back injury at work and needed time off to mend. He was on pain meds so he couldn't even drive to work anyway. His manager drove him to and from work every day just to hang out and pop pills all day.
Reason: Too many injury related days missed could jeopardize our VPP (OSHA Voluntary Protection Program) standing. Had the guy had some other kind of accident while he was at work and high as a kite on pain meds it would have gone worse OSHA-wise but they figured that was an acceptable risk over excessive missed days.

That's just a few things that stand out. I could write page after page and that wold cover my experiences with more than one employer.